Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significantly cooler car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

InTheShadows

Apr 20, 2013
USA
Since we took delivery of our car around thanksgiving we have not had a chance to drive in warm weather. After having bright sunny skies and temps in the mid to upper eighties I found we did most of our driving with the pano roof open, the climate system off and maybe a window or two open and we stayed very comfortable.

I told my wife that I was amazed at how cool the car felt despite it being the mid to upper eighties. We were sitting at a redlight enjoying slacker playing one hit wonders when it dawned on me. The car really was cooler (temp wise). The reason was because we were not sitting behind this beat of a fire box making 6000+ little fires per minute.

Driving a normal ICE all that heat energy transfers through the firewall that has very little insulation value and the air is usually drawn from in front of the wind shield after the air has passed over the hod of the car who his also emitting heat from the ICE.

Our conclusion was that unless we didn't want the wind noise from having everything open that we proudly wouldn't need ac in the car until it hits the 90's because there is so little heat being made.

Needless to say it was quite enjoyable driving on the freeway at 80 with the pano open at 80%, all the windows down for free this weekend.

When I think that we drove with 6 passengers plus luggage for a 4 day weekend at 75+ mph most of the way and the only cost to me was $50 for parking the car at the hotel and the $5 in electricity to recharge our car when we got home I was blown away once again how amazing this car really is. (Also 85 on the highway felt like nothing, and knowing that even at that speed a simple press on the pedal and within a few seconds I would be in the triple digits. My emergency action plan while passing a big rig that drifts into my lane is no longer slam on the brakes, it's hit the zoom pedal.)

Does anyone else think their car feels much cooler in the summer and they use the ac less than they did in their ice?

Does anyone else think their car feels much cooler in the summer and they use the ac less than they did in their ice?

Yes, it's much cooler, but the noise and the sun beating down on your head with the pano open just isn't worth it. I've found opening two windows on one side just a bit (20-25 mm) is still reasonably cool and without all the noise. And even with the windows closed and the a/c on, not a lot of power is used unless you're starting with a hot car and aren't able to pre-cool.

Everybody probably has there own preference.

Mine is piano 65% open all other windows up and radio at 8.

Sometimes I'll put the windows down but only if I have a ponytail holder with me. Otherwise I can't see thru the curtain of hair.

I get a lot of buffeting when the Pano is more than about 40% open. Best sunroof I've experienced was in a friend's Corolla. All of the sunroofs in my expensive cars have been poor performers noise-wise.

Nissan Leaf owner's manual states that range loss from open windows is always more than energy used to run the AC.

Car's definitely cooler even without the aid of a sunroof as in my case. Most days, I don't even turn the AC on and when I do, the range mode works great. We have very mild weather here, of course.

I love how the garage feels after I bring the car in after a drive. Nice and cool, atleast until my wife's fire-breathing anachronism gets home :)