Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion on other Tesla-related mailing list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This was moved from the Production/Delivery Status thread.

Email from EM

There are improvements almost everywhere in Roadster 2 (formerly known as model year 2010). Once we are through with the release and see how it performs in the field, we will see what improvements can be provided to Roadster 1.5 owners as upgrades.

Certainly, there should be some interior fit and finish upgrades, plus better seats that can be installed. However, it is going to be a lot tougher to upgrade the powertrain, which I was really hoping we could do. In the end, we materially redesigned the battery pack, PEM, motor and vehicle wiring harness. For example, the motor is no longer used as an inductor in the charging circuit, which is a fundamental change.

Bottom line is that it will likley be way cheaper to sell your current Roadster and buy the new version than try to upgrade the powertrain.
If you do decide to get a Roadster 2 and are someone that likes performance, I really recommend the Sport edition. You can really feel the difference with the added power and adjustable suspension.

Was this a new mass email sent today? I never get these things for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its anything like that samcarney.

If you are an owner, then you can poke around the owners' forum on the Tesla site and find a post about a yahoo group set up for roadster owners. It was quite a while ago, and there was a proliferation of roadster sites/groups for a while, till a couple leading sites emerged to mostly, but not completely, consolidate the community of interest.

That group is where the message went. For the most part it's just a very low volume email list (many days no messages at all), and you get a lot more info from the owners board or from here, but Elon has responded to something on the list a time or two. Other than tidbits like that, which are great to see, but also always either come from somewhere else too, or get spread to the owners' forums, here, etc., most items I see are quick questions, or things I see discussed a lot more on the forums or here. It's just the different style of email vs. forums work better for some people.

I don't know why Elon does the (very) occasional reply to the list rather than quick posts in the forums, blog entries, etc. I suspect because a quick reply to a very small daily email digest (the way he seems to be subscribed) is a lot "easier" in terms of time allocation than reading through multiple threads on the forums, or writing something for the target audience (and scrutiny) of the corporate blog the way that's now set up.

This website (TMC) is far more active than the owners forum. The analysis of any new Tesla news and info is also more active.

The only advantage to the owners forum website is that sometimes Tesla employees like Zak will post to carify information.

I don't think its anything like that samcarney.

If you are an owner, then you can poke around the owners' forum on the Tesla site and find a post about a yahoo group set up for roadster owners. It was quite a while ago, and there was a proliferation of roadster sites/groups for a while, till a couple leading sites emerged to mostly, but not completely, consolidate the community of interest.

That group is where the message went. For the most part it's just a very low volume email list (many days no messages at all), and you get a lot more info from the owners board or from here, but Elon has responded to something on the list a time or two. Other than tidbits like that, which are great to see, but also always either come from somewhere else too, or get spread to the owners' forums, here, etc., most items I see are quick questions, or things I see discussed a lot more on the forums or here. It's just the different style of email vs. forums work better for some people.

I don't know why Elon does the (very) occasional reply to the list rather than quick posts in the forums, blog entries, etc. I suspect because a quick reply to a very small daily email digest (the way he seems to be subscribed) is a lot "easier" in terms of time allocation than reading through multiple threads on the forums, or writing something for the target audience (and scrutiny) of the corporate blog the way that's now set up.

Thanks. Sometimes the conspiracy theorist comes out in me.