Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door storage space needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
driversdoor.jpg

Most cars that I have owned had a number of storage nooks that the driver could reach. The ones in the doors were big enough for a half-dozen magazines, though I usually used them for maps and trash. My Lexus also has a nice dropdown sunglass compartment in addition to one near the CD; it has a drawer beneath each front seat.

A good organizer for the midline floor space helps, but it seems to me that the lower half of the Tesla front door has empty space; the steel bar that protects from T-bone collisions can't take up all of that space.

More ideas?

Here's one, don't carry so much clutter in your car :tongue:

I like the lack of places for crap to accumulate, and haven't even missed it. Who needs actual maps anymore? You're driving a giant iPad, come on!

I DO keep my ChargePoint card in the little pocket on the front edge of the driver's seat, but that's pretty much the only thing that stays in my car (I keep my sunglasses in their case in the cubby below the main screen)

Most cars that I have owned had a number of storage nooks that the driver could reach. The ones in the doors were big enough for a half-dozen magazines, though I usually used them for maps and trash. My Lexus also has a nice dropdown sunglass compartment in addition to one near the CD; it has a drawer beneath each front seat.

A good organizer for the midline floor space helps, but it seems to me that the lower half of the Tesla front door has empty space; the steel bar that protects from T-bone collisions can't take up all of that space.

More ideas?
I haven't any good ideas but some sort of door pocket would be nice to have, now there is no good place to stuff my .45 out of sight

- - - Updated - - -

You already have a door pocket, look...
surely you're jesting

Last edited:
No, I'm being quite serious. If you look inside, it is lined with rubber along the bottom and is designed for storing change and various other little items.

Well now, every car I've owned has had a hole like that for your fingers when pulling the door closed, and sure you could throw some coins or whatnot in there, but I think it's a stretch to call it a storage compartment.

I realize the "minimalist" thing is a design decision, but I too would prefer door and seatback pockets as well as a proper center console.

I wanted more cubby/storage at first too, and I really wanted a center console, but after a week or two, I'm glad there isn't any place for clutter.

What they need to do is move the window switches so my long leg stops rolling down the windows!

Same happened to me the first day of ownership. I was fine after that. Learn to use the dead pedal.

Many of us like the minimalist design and that the interior doesn't try to mimic other cars with all the pockets and spaces to collect stuff. I found I haven't missed them. Center console option is available for those who really do want more defined storage.

Think of what the spaces were used for-- tapes in the 90's or CD's in the 2000's, paper maps or road atlas, change for toll booths, garage door opener. None of that is necessary in this car in this decade with Slacker or USB key, Google Maps, toll tags, and Homelink.

Many of us like the minimalist design and that the interior doesn't try to mimic other cars with all the pockets and spaces to collect stuff. I found I haven't missed them. Center console option is available for those who really do want more defined storage. Think of what the spaces were used for-- tapes in the 90's or CD's in the 2000's, paper maps or road atlas, change for toll booths, garage door opener. None of that is necessary in this car in this decade with Slacker or USB key, Google Maps, toll tags, and Homelink.

Agreed. Door pockets are so last century. I love the clean look of the interior.

Many of us like the minimalist design and that the interior doesn't try to mimic other cars with all the pockets and spaces to collect stuff. I found I haven't missed them. Center console option is available for those who really do want more defined storage.

Think of what the spaces were used for-- tapes in the 90's or CD's in the 2000's, paper maps or road atlas, change for toll booths, garage door opener. None of that is necessary in this car in this decade with Slacker or USB key, Google Maps, toll tags, and Homelink.

This is so true. When I originally ordered I was planning on the center console...but then I started thinking and realized I really don't need ANYTHING up front with me anymore that can't fit in the slot under the screen (sunglasses, phone) or glove box. I love having the open space and zero clutter. I cleaned out the armrest of my old BMW when I got the Tesla and realized I literally hadn't touched any of that stuff in YEARS. And the door pockets of the old car were used for trash. This now forces me to empty my trash upon pulling into the garage...great accountability!

Agreed. Door pockets are so last century. I love the clean look of the interior.

+1
Best way to keep a clean looking interior, is to eliminate all the places to store junk.
There are two divots at the top of each front door, there is a niche below the screen, a flap at the front of the driver's seat, two cup holders in the console, a glove box, a concealed compartment behind the motor (if you don't have rear-facing seats) and the huge frunk.
Anything above and beyond that is superfluous.

That angular nook that serves as a door handle: I have attempted to use it for sunglasses and door openers but soon find them on the floor; they keep moving when the door slams shut. They are also not big enough for things I want to hide from view, such as a Kindle or iPad that I would ordinarily tuck inside a magazine.

I can't buy the lean-and-hungry look styling argument: the Lexus niches, outside of the door pockets, are hidden compartments. And the Model S glove compartment is small by any standard.

I can't buy the lean-and-hungry look styling argument: the Lexus niches, outside of the door pockets, are hidden compartments. And the Model S glove compartment is small by any standard.

+1 As much as I like the Model S on the whole, some things are nagging me and I hope Gen III will be better in those respects:

- placement of the buttons for the electric windows. Even though I didn't hit them with my legs during the test drive, they are still in an awkward and uncomfortable position, at least for my arms and hands
- interior storage. I know there are pros and cons to both ways, but I know I am not the only one who prefers a car with ample storage facilities, especially pockets in the doors and behind the front seats. You don't have to have a cluttered car even with those storage facilities.
- headrests. Non adjustable ones just don't fit for everybody. Even though they might be as safe as adjustable ones, they are just not comfortable enough. It's like with clothing. "One size fits all" rarely works.
- better seats. Often discussed and wished for by many. At least ones with better lateral support. And the ones in the back are really uncomfortable by any standard, especially for large people during long distance driving.

Still, I am sure Tesla will offer many more upgrades over the coming years like they did with the parking sensors, power folding mirrors, etc.