Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have to cancel my reservation now I'm out $5k according to Tesla [Now Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a personal issue and have been forced to cancel my reservation yesterday (the same day I was finally issued a vin)
I had originally put down $5k on the X but did not want to wait a year so I flipped that $5k to the model S deposit.

While I realize that Tesla has the policy of no deposit refund after two weeks and have no problem with that policy I feel they could give me back $2500 as if I had gone with the S from the start I would only have $2500 in the car.
I spoke to CS yesterday and the rep said no I lose the whole $5k.

Sorry that happened but rules are rules, they have to treat everyone the same no matter what situation.

No, they don't. I mean, it's easier to treat everyone the same, and for a variety of reasons they may not want to grant exceptions for this or any other circumstance, but there's no reason they *couldn't* make an exception.

The OP's situation sounds unique enough that even if the company generally has a "no refund" policy, they might be willing to give a partial refund here.

I would take the issue up the chain. The individual reps might not be able to do anything for you, but the higher-ups might be able to help.

Thanks for the support **** happens

I guess the other option if possible someone want to jump the queue and just happen to want the same build as I ordered they could take my place

Vin#5YJSA1H12EFP40151

My S build is attached if anyone is interested please PM me.

[Mod Note: pdf removed to protect OP's privacy, pic of build details attached]

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you already told TESLA your decision to cancel? If so, posting your build here may only complicate things. Seeing as your experience is already frustrating for you, I just want to try to help steer your experience away from the rocks...

If you haven't made a final decision, best of luck!

I had a personal issue and have been forced to cancel my reservation yesterday (the same day I was finally issued a vin)
I had originally put down $5k on the X but did not want to wait a year so I flipped that $5k to the model S deposit.

While I realize that Tesla has the policy of no deposit refund after two weeks and have no problem with that policy I feel they could give me back $2500 as if I had gone with the S from the start I would only have $2500 in the car.
I spoke to CS yesterday and the rep said no I lose the whole $5k.
Unfortunately for you Tesla allows you 2 weeks or so to confirm and once a VIN is issued you are locked in. would it be possible to go through with delivery and flip the car?

Sorry to hear of this situation, Brightonuk. Not sure if Tesla okayed the queue-jumping approach though; if the car ends up being titled to you first and then you sell to someone else, only you can claim the $7,500 federal credit and you'd have to discount it accordingly to the buyer.

Agree that you should get $2,500 back. Hope Tesla makes that happen. All the best!

That's what I did, I did not foresee an issue.
I am not asking for or expecting to get $2500 back as it was pointed out that was the policy I signed off on but I would hope that will refund the other $2500
I don't think they started building yet I told them yesterday just before I got an email giving me a Vin#
Called Corp and sent an email.

We all have our opinions about whether TM should keep the whole deposit or refund part ($2,500). OP: email your DS with details of your situation and 'cc' Jerome. Best way to reach a fair outcome is to go directly up as another TMC member suggested.

That's what I did, I did not foresee an issue.
I am not asking for or expecting to get $2500 back as it was pointed out that was the policy I signed off on but I would hope that will refund the other $2500
I don't think they started building yet I told them yesterday just before I got an email giving me a Vin#
Called Corp and sent an email.
Just a suggestion, if you can wait until the delivery day and line up a buyer before hand, you will be able to get all your money back, or with some luck maybe even make a small profit if the buyer is willing to pay a premium to avoid the waiting period. As for Fed. Tax Credit, you can get the Tax Credit, and reimburse new buyer or lower your price by 7.5K. Only drawback might be paying the Sales Tax twice.

Or take the joint ownership with the new buyer and then relinquish your rights.

Last edited:
I have to cancel my reservation now im out $5k according to Tesla

If you can line up a buyer maybe Tesla will keep only the $2,500 and allow the new person to buy the car at regular price. Good luck with getting everything sorted out.