Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to cancel my reservation now I'm out $5k according to Tesla [Now Resolved]

I have to cancel my reservation now I'm out $5k according to Tesla [Now Resolved]

I had a personal issue and have been forced to cancel my reservation yesterday (the same day I was finally issued a vin)
    I had originally put down $5k on the X but did not want to wait a year so I flipped that $5k to the model S deposit.

While I realize that Tesla has the policy of no deposit refund after two weeks and have no problem with that policy I feel they could give me back $2500 as if I had gone with the S from the start I would only have $2500 in the car.
    I spoke to CS yesterday and the rep said no I lose the whole $5k.

Could you flip back to a Model X res in case your situation changes down the road?

Items for Sale
    Sorry that happened but rules are rules, they have to treat everyone the same no matter what situation.
    2013 Green 60 kw Model S For Sale

I thought there were hardship exceptions for the refunds? I also think worst case you should get $2,500 of the $5,000 back.
    S85 | 35078 | White | Tech | Parking Sensors | Pano Roof | 19" | Ordered 2/3/2014 | Confirmed 2/16/2014 | Delivery 4/15/2014

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Sorry that happened but rules are rules, they have to treat everyone the same no matter what situation.
    No, they don't. I mean, it's easier to treat everyone the same, and for a variety of reasons they may not want to grant exceptions for this or any other circumstance, but there's no reason they *couldn't* make an exception.

The OP's situation sounds unique enough that even if the company generally has a "no refund" policy, they might be willing to give a partial refund here.

I would take the issue up the chain. The individual reps might not be able to do anything for you, but the higher-ups might be able to help.

Model S - P4676
    By requiring a $5,000 deposit from the OP, and $2,500 from everyone else, they are certainly not treating everyone the same. (The deposit on the Model S was $5,000, but it was lowered some time ago.)
    P4676, VIN 3898, 60kWh, Blue, Tan Leather, Piano Black, Air Suspension, Pano Roof, Tech Package, Supercharging, Dual Chargers
    Delivery Window: 1/27/13-2/10/13
    Factory pickup on 2/1/13!

Thanks for the support **** happens

I guess the other option if possible someone want to jump the queue and just happen to want the same build as I ordered they could take my place

Vin#5YJSA1H12EFP40151

My S build is attached if anyone is interested please PM me.

[Mod Note: pdf removed to protect OP's privacy, pic of build details attached]

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by NigelM; 04-12-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Private details removed.

Have you already told TESLA your decision to cancel? If so, posting your build here may only complicate things. Seeing as your experience is already frustrating for you, I just want to try to help steer your experience away from the rocks...

If you haven't made a final decision, best of luck!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightonuk View Post
    I had a personal issue and have been forced to cancel my reservation yesterday (the same day I was finally issued a vin)
    I had originally put down $5k on the X but did not want to wait a year so I flipped that $5k to the model S deposit.

While I realize that Tesla has the policy of no deposit refund after two weeks and have no problem with that policy I feel they could give me back $2500 as if I had gone with the S from the start I would only have $2500 in the car.
    I spoke to CS yesterday and the rep said no I lose the whole $5k.
    Unfortunately for you Tesla allows you 2 weeks or so to confirm and once a VIN is issued you are locked in. would it be possible to go through with delivery and flip the car?
    ​WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of this situation, Brightonuk. Not sure if Tesla okayed the queue-jumping approach though; if the car ends up being titled to you first and then you sell to someone else, only you can claim the $7,500 federal credit and you'd have to discount it accordingly to the buyer.

Agree that you should get $2,500 back. Hope Tesla makes that happen. All the best!
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.9 (1.51.94), 22,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

Thread Information