Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy. It's here.... Oh boy. Oh boy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a firm believer in not cluttering up forums with redundant posts. However, I believe everyone shares my sentiment. My observations...

So, my Model S was delivered on Thursday and I must say it looks better then I pictured. I did take it out that day to get an inspection sticker which I was required to do within 7 days (I like to get it done right away). As I'm currently a Nissan owner and brought it to my usual Nissan dealership. Reason being, they know how to inspect electric vehicles. I'm friendly with most of the employees there so I pretty much put the head mechanic on the spot to do the inspection. There may have been a little jabbing happening on my part regarding getting fingerprints on the headliner. He usually gives me a hard time back, however, was a little more reserved. I told him if he did, I would put him in the frunk and ride around at high speed. Oddly, he didn't seem to mind this...

So, I took the opportunity to ride back on the highway and did "goose" the car a little while on the on-ramp. There was a rather large white SUV behind me who seemed to enjoy the fact that I disappeared in short order. Now, by "goosing" I mean I just slightly depressed the accelerator. Not matted the car to see what it would do. This I already knew.

Now, as I think we all do as Tesla Evangelists, I took my brand new baby around to show it off. To that, apparently I am now the favored fun park amusement ride. I'm going to save the occupants responses to my depressing the the pedal a little more, shall we say, with meaning. I'm sure you've all heard it before. By the way, a 6'4" tall man in the back seat can and will hit there head on the brace behind their head upon spirited acceleration. Oops!

My only concern, is how much stress these "spirited accelerations" put on the car (battery, etc.). So I'm trying to refrain from doing them. I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this. I want to oblige, but it is my baby after all.

The "spaceship noise" as I've come to refer to it was present albeit very faint. I guess I couldn't really hear it over the expletives and giggling going on. The expletives may have been due to the back seat passenger smacking his head. I may have not warned them before the ride took off. Oops again. My bad. And for the record, we're still friends.

As an IT executive, I must say that it's certainly intuitive. Starting to learn where things are on the center console. However, I'm having a problem with the basic stuff (like the cruise control). Oh well, I'll figure it out. Weird huh? I may have flashed my high beams when I meant to clear the windshield.

Everyone was taking pictures, which I wasn't overly thrilled with as my baby was looking a little dusty. We had a light rain the night before and, as is normal in New England, cars get dusty. It wasn't looking perfect. They didn't seem to care.

It's extremely difficult during short errands not to have fun. Part of me wants to play, part wants to protect my newly birthed child. Damnit! What to do?

Air suspension is an absolute must for those of us with steep driveways.

I will be parking outside as I don't have a garage at this time. I would also be interested in hearing how many people park outside.

Sound system... Nice!
Seats... Getting used to them.
Mirrors... No need to fold.
Storage... Amazing! Side note: should have bought the net for the microwave cubby.
Adapters... Yep, bought all of them. Want to be prepared.
First Tesla moment... Kid at local College stepped to the side of the road to give me the thumbs up.
Tank mode... Installed.
Giddyup... Oh yeah!

More to follow...

IMG_4823 - Copy.JPG

P85, Piano black, Pano, Tech, Air, Parking, HiFi, Interior Lighting, Subzero, 19", HPWC.

Something else my wife and I are struggling to get used to is people full-on staring, or cameras pointed our way continuously as we go by. I used to think it was because I had a piece of food in my teeth or some hair out of place and am slowly realizing it's the car. And, of course, that all means now I can't pick my nose.

Something else my wife and I are struggling to get used to is people full-on staring, or cameras pointed our way continuously as we go by. I used to think it was because I had a piece of food in my teeth or some hair out of place and am slowly realizing it's the car. And, of course, that all means now I can't pick my nose.
Window tinting solves the nose pick problem...not that I would know from first-hand experience. Just sayin'...

I'm a firm believer in not cluttering up forums with redundant posts. However, I believe everyone shares my sentiment. My observations...

My only concern, is how much stress these "spirited accelerations" put on the car (battery, etc.). So I'm trying to refrain from doing them. I would be interested in hearing others thoughts on this. I want to oblige, but it is my baby after all.

Everyone was taking pictures, which I wasn't overly thrilled with as my baby was looking a little dusty. We had a light rain the night before and, as is normal in New England, cars get dusty. It wasn't looking perfect. They didn't seem to care.

View attachment 47062
P85, Piano black, Pano, Tech, Air, Parking, HiFi, Interior Lighting, Subzero, 19", HPWC.

Welcome to the club from a fellow New Englander! When it comes to "spirited accelerations" I think that so long as they are not the majority of your driving style, there would be little impact. We have both a Roadster Sport 2.5 and a Model S Sig, and with the Roadster, we were explicitly told that driving style has a significant impact on battery life span. With the Roadster, part of that was whether you drove in normal mode or performance mode, the latter running the battery at a higher temp to allow for quicker acceleration. So with the Roadster, the only time I am in Performance is when I have a passenger who wants to see what it can do, and the highway on-ramp is where I show it off. With the Model S, the impact of those accelerations would likely be somewhat less given there isn't a "performance mode" but the increased pull on the battery probably causes some small impact. I think over time though, the impact would be small, particularly as the frequency of everyone wanting to jump in your car will drop as the months go by.

The cameras are funny though. I still chuckle when I see someone in the rearview mirror taking pictures—and then I am embarrassed by the car not being clean (both of our cars were primary drives through out the Vermont winter). Last night, I was in the Roadster when suddenly the guy in front of my stuck his hand up through his sunroof and was trying to take photos/video backwards as he was driving. Today I am heading to wash them in a few minutes (it will last until the rain on Monday!)

Enjoy your new ride!

David

Stylin’!
Consider a temporary garage (ShelterLogic, for example) for winter if you have the space. Did that for a truck this past icy winter and life was much easier (except when the zippers iced up and I need to bring hot water to the shed). Tell your neighbors it’s only for a few months; you can disassemble after the snows.

- - - Updated - - -

how is the front license plate attached?

Stylin’!
Consider a temporary garage (ShelterLogic, for example) for winter if you have the space. Did that for a truck this past icy winter and life was much easier (except when the zippers iced up and I need to bring hot water to the shed). Tell your neighbors it’s only for a few months; you can disassemble after the snows.

- - - Updated - - -

how is the front license plate attached?

They mounted through the front nose cone. Drilled I believe. :(

Oh well, it's a necessity here in Mass. I don't need to give the police an excuse to pull me over. From what I read on here, they do that just to see the car. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Nice post, she's a beauty. Just curious because I don't have air suspension, is your's raised up or is it at standard?.

Thank you! No, the ride height is 'very high'. I believe it does lower itself after a while. When I leave, I set it back to normal. I must admit the 'low' setting does give the car quite the stance!

My only concern, is how much stress these "spirited accelerations" put on the car

True that heavy acceleration results in increased wear and tear e.g. tire tread life. But this is true for any vehicle. Model S applies its massive torque smoothly upon launch if you gradually squeeze on the power as opposed to stomping on the accelerator. Make sure that your gear reduction, motor and wheel bearings, CV joints are up to normal operating temperature. It is so much easier to abuse an ICE vehicle dumping the clutch, grabbing shifts, cold engine -- these things we no longer have to worry about.

Beautiful new car that you have!

Thanks everyone! Going on the 4th day. Random thoughts as my IT Executive ADD wired brain forms them:

Tesla moment #2: At a friends restaurant parked far away from the building. I was going to park right next to the back door, however, the friend was parked there. Probably a good thing.
Went in and had a nice dinner as always (we walk through the kitchen door). So, I had to show it off to everyone. After dinner, my friend comes running after me with his neighbor who was having dinner there at the same time. I cam out to find a mob around the car (I may have parked it slightly crooked to let the sun bounce off of it just right). After 45 minutes of showing the frunk, trunk and how quiet it was. One of the nice older ladies comments about how when she was young, they used electric vehicles to get around. Interesting?!? Hmmmm.... My response was "what was once old, is new again"! She loved that.

Several pics being taken and the mob of people (they ware all out for a family dinner I believe) waited for me to leave so they could hear it. Or not.

I have discovered that there is definitely one down side. You have to keep the car clean at all times. You never know when people are going to take pictures. Love driving them, hate cleaning them. Oh well....

Regarding the color. My DS did say that it is one of the most popular colors around here. I've always purchased gray or platinum cars as they blend in (not so much for the Tesla I guess).

I drive mostly around local towns so I'm never concerned about range. To that, I did turn off range mode for now. I don't find it necessary and prefer the increase performance of the HVAC system. Is it my imagination or does the sound system also sound different?

I still feel a little guilty for hammering it a few times. Guilty pleasure? I"ll let you decide.

I figured out the cruise! Regen is not happy when you cancel the cruise though. I've tried to compensate by figuring where the pedal should be to not enter regen after cancelling cruise control.

I increased the sound quality of Slacker to best as I wanted to see how AT&T did with coverage. It did amazingly well. I didn't lose signal once! Having been a SiriusXM subscriber for the longest time and being a sound quality snob I have realized just how terrible the sound quality is on XM. I am, however, impressed with Slacker (even though it doesn't always know what I'm saying). End result... Bye bye XM!

Gotta go for now, I think the car is calling for me...