Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albany, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five Tesla superchargers and cabling for six are sitting on a construction site awaiting installation on Wolf Road in Colonie, NY, just off Exit 24 of the New York State Thruway. So, in a couple of months, I anticipate some of you folks will be coming up for a visit. Looking forward to seeing you. Plenty of places to eat and drink, but my personal favorite is the Cheesecake Factory, a few hundred feet from the charging station. A Whole Foods supermarket is planned in close proximity to the superchargers.

Apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Brand new owner. With no supercharger between Toronto and Albany (400 miles), what is the best way to charge along the way? Is it just to find a station with a slow charge? thanks.

Apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Brand new owner. With no supercharger between Toronto and Albany (400 miles), what is the best way to charge along the way? Is it just to find a station with a slow charge? thanks.
Plugshare.com is your one source for charging. If you use it from the center screen in the Tesla it is configured to give the best Tesla results.

Until Tesla adds a Supercharger in Buffalo and Syracuse (both of which are in the plans), you're stuck using Level 2 chargers. As @mroths24 notes, Plugshare is your friend. I see a Model S owner in Rochester with a NEMA 14-50, which is almost surely the fastest option you have available currently.

Superchargers make such a huge difference in the ability to road-trip. I've driven from Boston to DC without a worry; just a couple of needed breaks. Driving the same distance to Buffalo would (at least before the Colonie SC opened) have taken a couple of days.

Keep an eye to the Kingston area supercharger (already in the coming soon list, estimating locations from where the red dot is on the coming soon map).
Once its up and running, perhaps Albany (228 miles via I-90E) Kingston (164 miles) Toronto. Plus a Toronto, Ottawa superchargers is also on the coming soon list.
Syracuse and Buffalo are planned for 2014 but not yet in the coming soon list.

Last edited:
This location has stalls labeled 1A/2A/3A/1B/2B/3B which is not the usual V2 I've seen with 1A/1B/2A/2B etc, see also a better pic on Google maps. I also noticed that the entire lot has very tight parking width spots, including these stalls, just something to be aware of.

On Jun 5 2021, I was only seeing a peak of 60kW in spot 2A, with 4 of 6 spots in use that day. I didn't try other stalls.

That Tesla Owners Club New York State sign was really a nice touch!
IMG_5493.JPG
IMG_5487.PNG

Last edited: