Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

StoreDot's Bio-Organic battery potential candidate for car batteries ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
StoreDots Bio-Organic Battery Tech Can Charge From Flat To Full In 30 Seconds | TechCrunch

Would this technology be usable for cars ?

I keep on wondering whether now's still a good time to build a giga lithium-ion battery factory... new, innovative technologies for batteries are appearing at a super high rate... I know Musk is an exceptionally revolutionary thinker, not afraid of abandoning what we all know and venturing on completely new grounds, but if he spends billions (of investors' money) on such a lithium-ion battery factory and after a few years this technology becomes obsolete, will he still be able to 'admit' this and switch to the new technology ? I suppose that all the money and resources will be 100% wasted, since I don't suppose a transition to a completely new technology will be straightforward...

Thoughts ? Any physicists / experts on the matter ?

physicist here though not an expert. Some points in the article set off my BS alarm:

what is Bio-organic? what are the properties that qualify as "bio" in contrast to a material that is just "organic"?
what is a nano crystal? I thought crystals are defined by a lattice not by a size. So this might be particles of nano scale but are they crystals?

We mix some basic elements — like hydrogen, nitrogen, helium.”
Good luck mixing helium. Might take some time until it dissolves and gets absorbed :cursing:

Now for the Gigafactory question. Any technology that the GF should start to produce in 2017 must be ready for market TODAY. The guy from StoreDot estimates 2 more years to get the required energy density. There was no word a roadmap for costs or a process that allows to mass produce the device. But let's say they have a valid battery cell in mid 2016 ready for production, and Tesla selects it. The GF investment to be scrapped for a new cell technology is only a fraction of total investment. Plannung, permits buildung, energy supply, logistics terminal, training of the work force remains untouched by the cell chemistry to produce.
BTW if Elon would stick to a chemistry that will be outdated by the time it is mass produced, he will do the switch or the market will do it for him (=Tesla goes bankrupt). He is too smart to let that happen.

StoreDots Bio-Organic Battery Tech Can Charge From Flat To Full In 30 Seconds | TechCrunch

Would this technology be usable for cars ?

I keep on wondering whether now's still a good time to build a giga lithium-ion battery factory... new, innovative technologies for batteries are appearing at a super high rate... I know Musk is an exceptionally revolutionary thinker, not afraid of abandoning what we all know and venturing on completely new grounds, but if he spends billions (of investors' money) on such a lithium-ion battery factory and after a few years this technology becomes obsolete, will he still be able to 'admit' this and switch to the new technology ? I suppose that all the money and resources will be 100% wasted, since I don't suppose a transition to a completely new technology will be straightforward...

Thoughts ? Any physicists / experts on the matter ?

I read as much as I can about all of these new battery technologies. To be blunt, the B.S. factor around this stuff is beyond belief. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.