Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using j1172 at charge point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a Blink card/account? Many of the chargers in this area are on the Blink network. I think there is some reciprocity with chargepoint now. Blink offers a temporary membership for non-cardholders for 24hours at a time. On their website you provide a CC number and they give you a pin that you enter at the Blink station. Pin is only good for 24 hours but can repeat as needed.

How many amps should we expect from J1772 Chargepoint chargers in NJ? IOW, how many miles per hour of charging if I have twin-chargers?

thanks.
This question shows Tesla needs to explain better what the purpose of twin chargers is, and what they can not do. I'm not sure how else they can explain it so people understand better the option they are ordering (or not), but if a TMC member with over 200 posts is unsure about this, imagine what the average non-enthusiast Tesla owner doesn't know.

This question shows Tesla needs to explain better what the purpose of twin chargers is, and what they can not do. I'm not sure how else they can explain it so people understand better the option they are ordering (or not), but if a TMC member with over 200 posts is unsure about this, imagine what the average non-enthusiast Tesla owner doesn't know.

To be fair, I didn't order twin chargers.. They just came with the inventory car I bought. Also, I do know I need more than 40 amps to use the second charger... The only thing I did not know was how many amps are typically provided by J1772. chargers.

Do you have the NEMA 14-50 adapter for your Tesla. Those are 50 amp outlets and most every RV park has them.
RVParking.com | Find RV Parks, RV Park Reviews Use the 50 amp filter on the search page.

I do have the adapter, but there aren't any RV parks convenient to my location this weekend, just J1772 chargers. I found one, it's charging at 200volts@30amps and getting 18-19 mph of charging. 10 hours to go.

How do people feel about leaving their car charging overnight at a public Blink/Chargepoint/Semacharge station in an otherwise empty office-park parking lot?

I have yet to find a J1772 above 30 amp in over 23,000 miles of driving. So not very common. And with no other car able to use over 30 amps and with the Supercharger network i doubt it will change.

It depends on where you go. You are correct that because cars like the Leaf can only use a maximum of 30 Amps, there are a huge number of 30 and 32 Amp J1772 EVSE's out there. Across Canada, in Washington State, and moving into many areas of the U.S, there are 72 and 80 Amp EVSE's because of Sun Country Highway; see EV Trip Planner - Sun Country Highway. In fact there is an 80 Amp EVSE at a Best Western in Orlando!

Because of my efforts, in Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO, there are 72 Amp J1772 EVSE's that help connect a back road, scenic route between Silverthorne and Farmington.

About Amp ratingss: Most J1772 EVSE's report offered Amps, but Sun Country reports circuit breaker capacity. Because for most circuit breakers, the recommendation is to only draw 80% of rating for a continuous load, a 100 Amp Sun Country J1772 offers 80 Amps usable, etc.

There may be fewer High Amp EVSE's out there than the many 30 Amp ones, but if you look hard, you can find them. I wish Plugshare.com had a category for High Amp Level 2 charging.

Go gather those Joules for your Jewel! :wink:

From my experience RV parks are not a good option as they are frequently a bit off the road and very few have options to get something to eat in walking distance. There are exceptions but that is my experience.

You are very correct. However, many RV Parks have WiFi and a Rec room. What I often do is to stop at a place to get some take-out food or snacks, then go to the RV park, enjoy the food, and their WiFi. Sometimes there is even a nice walk, or other activities.

Chargepoint is significantly more expensive than Blink. I avoid Chargepoint whenever I can. At Blink I pay about 15 cents per kWh ($1 an hour at 6.6 kW). That's pretty reasonable. Chargepoint is usually twice as much.

The Chargepoint stations are variable by location. I think some are even free. Where I charged last night, it was just $5 for an up-to 24 hour session. From their summary email:

Your vehicle has accepted 62.25 kWh of electricity and has been plugged in for 10:40:29 (hh:mm:ss).

Which is pretty close to the energy used as tracked by the car: Distance: 191 miles, 61.8 kWh, 324 W/mi

So that works out to be only about 8 cents per kWh.. so I think that's a pretty good deal. My house power is 16 cents per kWh.

Chargepoint is significantly more expensive than Blink. I avoid Chargepoint whenever I can. At Blink I pay about 15 cents per kWh ($1 an hour at 6.6 kW). That's pretty reasonable. Chargepoint is usually twice as much.
The owner of the Chargepoint station decides what the cost to use it is, or even to charge at all. Chargepoint sells the charging station and is the network doing the reporting and billing for the store or whoever owns the charging station. Airport FastPark in Austin has Chargepoint chargers and they're free for people who pay to park in the lot.