Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a 10-30 adapter (washer/dryer) for road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
I am ready to take the MS on her first real road trip from DC to FL. Very excited already! With all the super chargers along the way I am not worried about getting down there. But I will need to do destination charging from a washer/dryer outlet in my friends's garage. Does anyone in the DC area have a 10-30 adapter for the mobile charger that I could use on the trip? (I also have a 14-50 adapter I am not using). Thank you

Hi folks,
I am ready to take the MS on her first real road trip from DC to FL. Very excited already! With all the super chargers along the way I am not worried about getting down there. But I will need to do destination charging from a washer/dryer outlet in my friends's garage. Does anyone in the DC area have a 10-30 adapter for the mobile charger that I could use on the trip? (I also have a 14-50 adapter I am not using). Thank you

I think most of the service centers keep them in stock for sale (at least they do in St Louis for $45).

Hi folks,

Remember that there are two dryer outlets in the wild, and Tesla sells adapters for both. The 10-30 (3-pin, no ground) is usually in older homes, and the 14-30 (4-pin with ground) is usually in newer homes.

If you know what you are doing, you can cut the neutral pin off of your 14-50 adapter and it will fit in both the 14-30 and 14-50 outlets. This is safe because the UMC does not use the neutral pin. If you do this, you will have to manually reduce the current to 24 Amps on a 14-30 outlet, because the modified 14-50 adapter will tell the car that there is 40 Amps available.

Have Fun! :biggrin:

Thank you all for replying and the good advice. Cottonwood is right, turns out my friend has a newer home and thus a 14-30 outlet, not the 10-30 I assumed. Although I love the idea of making the 14-50 adapter 'work' I don't want to risk accidentally drawing too much current and causing a blackout in his house. (He already has to clear out the garage so I can pull in).
Thank you to Van Rala and Btrfly8e as well. Would have been fun meeting you but I am going to be on the other side of the state (Melbourne).

So if anyone has a 14-30 adapter I could borrow or buy let me know. If not I am going to buy one next week from the SC when I have my winter tires swapped out. Thank you again, it really is great being a part of this wonderful community

It's always good just to have adapters for every situation. I have them all!

+1 I try to be fully prepared in the wild with all UMC adapters, a select few 3rd party and home-made adapters, and properly sized extension cords. To me, friends and relatives dryer receptacles are the perfect overnight/destination electron dispenser. There are some informative dryer charging threads on this forum.

Good-Luck!

Last edited: