Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Madison & Pleasant Prairie Supercharger Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about heading to Madison this weekend and to Chicago in the next week with my Tesla. Has anyone had any positive/negative experience at either supercharger. Should I be concerned with the availability of the Supercharger stalls?

I'm thinking about heading to Madison this weekend and to Chicago in the next week with my Tesla. Has anyone had any positive/negative experience at either supercharger. Should I be concerned with the availability of the Supercharger stalls?

Don't be scared by the discussions that you see about Hawthorne or Barstow. Those two locations are special cases. Hawthorne is the only Supercharger in the LA basin with only 6 stalls, and Barstow only has 4 stalls, is on the popular LA to Las Vegas route, and to do the Barstow to LV section, you need a very full charge. At the other 26 Superchargers that I have visited in the southwestern U.S., you are usually hoping to see another MS so you can chat with another owner, rather than worrying about a queue.

Locals will have to comment, but I bet that few, if any, owners have seen all stalls full at Madison or Pleasant Prairie.

Go have fun with your car! :biggrin:

While I cannot supercharge my Roadster, I do drive by the Madison SC often and I literally have NEVER seen them in use.

I drove from Chicago to the Dells this weekend. No one was at the Rockford Supercharger, and I was there for 30-45 minutes having dinner. I also charged at Madison, and again there was no one there for the 30 minutes I was there.

Just two times, but no one but me.

I'll hit them on the way back tomorrow, and we'll see if there is any company.

I think it's just another beast in SoCal.

EDIT: back at Madison. I am alone at the chargers. Forever Alone...

y7y2umur.jpg

EDIT: back in Rockford. Only one other MS there. A brand new silver 85.

I encountered a grand total of 3 MSes on the entire trip. Still not that common in the Midwest methinks.

Last edited:
Same here. Used Madison x2, Rockford x1, Highland Park x2 and never saw another Model S charging while we were there. Yet to make it to Pleasant Prairie.
I've seen a 2-3 cars charging in pleasant prairie before. And I've seen highland park full before, but I think the service center actively uses that SCer to get cars that are in for service up to charge quickly. I'm sure if it was full you could go in and get them to move one of the cars. Looking forward to using Madison and Eau Claire sometime soon to make a trip up to Duluth to visit the Fam.

I was at Madison yesterday at 4pm. in dells now, didn't plug in last night due to the extreme storms, so I have about 30 miles remaining. will run to Mauston to supercharge enough to get to Madison. I always see people at pleasant and highland, Madison rarely and mauston rarely.

The storm was nasty. I avoided the first hail storm by parking under a cover, but the second one woke me from my sleep. No damage as far as I can tell. Will get a better look after I wash the car and look at it with a light...fun trip, and convenient with the superchargers.

Thanks for the feedback. We had a change of plans and ended going to Chicago for the weekend, stopped in pleasant prairie where there were 2 cars there (one ICE minivan, one tesla pulling in as we left). Great experience that exceeded my expectations, my car charged at 120kW.

I live about 5 miles from the Pleasant Prairie supper charger. Iv charged there 3 times and have only seen another MS one time. But I am only there for about 15 min usually.

I just took a trip to St. Luis this weekend stopped at the Rockford supper charger on sat about 2pm saw one other MS there as we were about to leave. She was having problems with 3 of the stalls. Not sure if she was plugging in all the way or not. But the first one I tried worked right away. By the time we got done eating at Sonic she had found one that worked for her and was leaving to eat her self and told me her story.

Normal Suppercharger: Meet LisaG from St. Luis. She was headed back from Milwaukee. (vary nice) and also meet vin# 404 Andrew right as we were leaving. Vary nice also. We did a 100% Range charge (269 Rated Range) at Normal to go 220 miles to the hotel we stayed at. There were about 30 to 40 mile an hour head winds, we drove at about 68mph behind a semi almost hole way. I also wanted to balance my pack sense I have never balanced it after 1500 miles.

Sorry off topic: Checked into the hotel at 9:30 pm with 30 miles of rated range left. I asked If we could we could charge on one of the outdoor plugs, and he had no problem with that at all. I do wish I would have made an adaptor for the A/C plug, (could have charged faster). Woke up with 76 rated range back from charging at 12amps all night. Still needed more range to get back to Normal so we stopped at the Yogi Bear camp ground next to Six Flags. They do charge $24.00 for 4hrs of charging. Charged there till we had lots of fun and 200 rated range. Next stop the Arch! Charged at the Hyatt, about 100 yard from the Arch. No charge at all. Vary nice valet people let me park and charge at the nema 14-50 (only 8kw) must be 3 phase, 40amps though. Went up the Arch and took lots of pictures, and walked around downtown for about 2hr. When we got back to the car we had about 230 rated range, I was sure we had enough now to get back to Normal SC going 74 mph with a damn good tail wind at our back.

Back on topic: Normal SC, arrived their at 8:45 No one their at all this time the hole time as fare as I know. We eat dinner and had the best ice-cream I think Iv ever had in my life right next store to the parking garage.

I've had issues a couple of times requiring a second or third time plugging in..

I'm starting to think I have the same issue another MS owner in my area had with his charge port. My HPWC didn't charge up my car last night and his HPWC doesn't work on my car at all but works fine on his car.

I was at the Pleasant Prairie location this past Saturday over Labor Day weekend. Every charger was ICE'd when we pulled up. Parking enforcement was already there and said they had called local Police, but we never saw any show up. We waited about 20 mins until someone was finished shopping. We we were done and leaving there was two additional spots that had opened. Another ICE pulled in next to me and I mentioned that the spots were needed for charging and that parking enforcement had said they may tow vehicles. They waited until I left and took the spot anyway. Oh well.

I was at the Pleasant Prairie location this past Saturday over Labor Day weekend. Every charger was ICE'd when we pulled up. Parking enforcement was already there and said they had called local Police, but we never saw any show up. We waited about 20 mins until someone was finished shopping. We we were done and leaving there was two additional spots that had opened. Another ICE pulled in next to me and I mentioned that the spots were needed for charging and that parking enforcement had said they may tow vehicles. They waited until I left and took the spot anyway. Oh well.

Yeah, that outlet mall gets crazy packed sometimes so it doesn't really surprise me, especially on a holiday weekend. Consistent enforcement might help but this is just a learning process Joe Public is going to have to go through, there will bumps in that road.

Yeah, that outlet mall gets crazy packed sometimes so it doesn't really surprise me, especially on a holiday weekend. Consistent enforcement might help but this is just a learning process Joe Public is going to have to go through, there will bumps in that road.
Yes agreed and it's very difficult to inform someone as they are returning to their car with security there, they are already on the defensive. Proper signage would help too, right now it just says "Tesla 30 Minute General Parking" nothing about towing or charging only. Will see how it works out over time.

Madison supercharger really needs an upgrade. Wait was 3 deep today. One guy waiting has given up in disgust waiting here. He is going to try and limp home. If they can't add more stalls because of the mall owner, they need to add a new location.

Wow. Madison? I have been able to skip that SupC because I head to my brother-in-law's and charge at his home.
How many stalls are there?
If only four with three deep is 12 Teslas waiting to charge at one time; six stalls three deep is 18 Teslas sitting there. I didn't imagine that that site would be so heavily used.

Update: I went to Google Maps to look for myself. It appears that there are only two stalls--yikes! I have never seen one so small. Hopefully, they can update and add soon. Make sure to email Tesla and let them know!

Wait! I found another pic and there were three showing, and I think they are always in pairs. So four stalls? I'm back to "If only four and three deep that is 12 Teslas waiting?"???

Last edited: