Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security implications from setting your home address in the Nav system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
I got this same message five straight days in my garage, and even after I hadn't moved the car at all from the last time I dismissed the message. The only way I was able to get rid of this message was to accept some location as home (I randomly picked a location nowhere near my home). BTW, this was the only bug I've experienced in 5.9.

Yes, I think I will drive to the nearest police station, and tell the car that THIS is my home. That way, if any thief ever takes the car and navigates home, I can just call 911 and say "hang tight, the perp is on his way and should be there in a few minutes."
+

UPDATE:
I did not create this thread, despite what the forum software says; the mods must have. I posted the above in the 5.9 thread. In response to a bunch of posts that were talking about the home address thing. Why the mods chose to chop out some and not all of those posts, is odd. The words "Security implications from setting your home address in the Nav system?" are not mine. Just for the record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think I will drive to the nearest police station, and tell the car that THIS is my home. That way, if any thief ever takes the car and navigates home, I can just call 911 and say "hang tight, the perp is on his way and should be there in a few minutes."
Hah. Nice.

I toyed around with setting my car's "home" to Fremont. I'm thankful that she is willing to stay at my place even though it's not home.

I got this same message five straight days in my garage, and even after I hadn't moved the car at all from the last time I dismissed the message. The only way I was able to get rid of this message was to accept some location as home (I randomly picked a location nowhere near my home). BTW, this was the only bug I've experienced in 5.9.

Just out of curiosity, what's a valet going to do with your home address? Come by and just steal the car? There a lots of ways to find someone's home address, and my guess would be going into someone's car and pulling up the Nav is about the least likely of the options.

Just out of curiosity, what's a valet going to do with your home address? Come by and just steal the car? There a lots of ways to find someone's home address, and my guess would be going into someone's car and pulling up the Nav is about the least likely of the options.

Not that I think it's likely, but if a valet or someone else with access to the car's key, they could navigate Home, use the Homelink transmitter to open the garage and then anything else that isn't secured behind the garage door. I know my family always locks the door to the house in the garage, but not everyone does. That could potentially give someone access to the whole house and its contents.

Not that I think it's likely, but if a valet or someone else with access to the car's key, they could navigate Home, use the Homelink transmitter to open the garage and then anything else that isn't secured behind the garage door. I know my family always locks the door to the house in the garage, but not everyone does. That could potentially give someone access to the whole house and its contents.

Common on practice around here is is to break into cars with visible garage door openers, and pull the address off of the registration. They are able to empty the house before the game is over.

Model S isn't a target because no garage door opener to steal.

Common on practice around here is is to break into cars with visible garage door openers, and pull the address off of the registration. They are able to empty the house before the game is over.

Model S isn't a target because no garage door opener to steal.

Do people actually leave their vehicle registration in the vehicle?

Wouldn't work in my case anyway since I have a detached garage. If they want the old junk in my garage they're welcome to it. :wink:

Last edited:

If you are checking into a hotel, there is a good chance your home will be empty while you are there. The valet knows this and can sell that info to someone looking for a know empty house of someone with good taste.

Do people actually leave their vehicle registration in the vehicle?

You really have to. It's a big hassle if you are stopped and don't have it on you. It used to be that you had to have it around your steering wheel so that the police could see it. At least now it's out of sight in the glovebox (usually).

You really have to. It's a big hassle if you are stopped and don't have it on you. It used to be that you had to have it around your steering wheel so that the police could see it. At least now it's out of sight in the glovebox (usually).
In Texas you are not required to have any proof of registration in the vehicle, unless it's a commercial vehicle. It even says so on the bottom of the registration receipt that the window sticker is attached to, which I throw away. You need to have current window sticker and proof of insurance. And your drivers license of course.

let's try thinking about this, a person leaves his car with a valet at a restaurant where he will spend some time having dinner, in that time the valet can discern where the owner lives, can drive there, can use the homelink to gain entrance to the home, take valuables from the home and then return the car to you as you are leaving. I do not use my exact address in my car's gps, maybe I'm odd but it is a little bit of added security.
YMMV

let's try thinking about this, a person leaves his car with a valet at a restaurant where he will spend some time having dinner, in that time the valet can discern where the owner lives, can drive there, can use the homelink to gain entrance to the home, take valuables from the home and then return the car to you as you are leaving. I do not use my exact address in my car's gps, maybe I'm odd but it is a little bit of added security.
YMMV
Assuming your registration is in the glove box, wouldn't seem very difficult to just enter in the Nav system. While the "Home" selection makes it a bit easier, certainly it doesn't prevent the problem.

YMMV

I watch the mobile app like a hawk whenever I give my car to valet. I'm even making sure they aren't roasting the tires in the parking lot. If it ever left the premises (Assuming they don't use an offsite garage, which I check before hand) I'd be on the phone with the police immediately reporting my car stolen.

let's try thinking about this, a person leaves his car with a valet at a restaurant where he will spend some time having dinner, in that time the valet can discern where the owner lives, can drive there, can use the homelink to gain entrance to the home, take valuables from the home and then return the car to you as you are leaving.

There's many plausible holes in this scenario: What does the restaurant manager do when the valet takes off to go rob your house? What's the risk that you don't like the food and finish early? Why does the valet assume the house is unoccupied? What if the door from the garage to the house is locked? How does the valet disable your home alarm system? How does the valet deal with the two big dogs that didn't accompany you to the restaurant? What if you live in a gated community and there's a PIN to get through the gate? Or a security guard? What if you did check your phone, this one time? How does the valet avoid this being tracked back to him/her? The list of reasons it wouldn't work seems endless......