Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defending Tesla has ended a Friendship of mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a friend that's in the automobile industry that is constantly posting on Facebook any negatively spun article created by the mass media against Tesla. Last night, I decided to end this friendship of 10+ years, after he posted a biased article about the Lemon Law filing followed by his sensationalistic comments.

All night I questioned myself and contemplated if I was overreacting, and I've concluded that I'm not. If a family member of mine acted this way, I wouldn't disown them, but I certainly would question their motives and I would lose respect for them. Attached is the screenshot of the Facebook drama, which has since been removed. I was thinking if some of my other friends acted like this toward Tesla, I would debate and disagree, but probably not be that worked up. What's got me upset is this guy is in the automotive business, and he's acting like big-oil, NJ-politicians, dealer-associations all ganging up on Tesla - whom I see as a great American car company that's trying to improve the world. I'm not going to let someone try and damage them if I can help it.

His actions make no sense to me. This is an otherwise bright person, acting completely irrational and hypocritical, as he KNOWS about Lemon Laws and recently lemoned-lawed a non-Tesla himself! But of course he doesn't mention that in his post, or the recalls of 6+ million Toyotas, etc. It's always negative against Tesla only.

I decided I cannot be friends with someone with these public opinions. And it's not the same as disagreeing on politics or religion or other sensitive issues. I just see this as pure stupidity, and I will not surround myself with people like him. I never have, and I never will. I'm disappointed it's come to this, but I don't see room for anything else.

#VENT #OVER

Screenshot_2014-04-09-22-22-22.png

Last edited:
Don't know if I would lose a friendship over someones car hatred. I have friends who are had core Demos and friends who are hard core Republicans. I really don't want to hear either of their opionions, but when I do, I let it slide off my back. Let it go. Enjoy your car and don't worry about what people say.

Also to me it happened to close a friendship because of a crashing of ideas. I must say that some of these friendships came back again as they were before of the crashing. IMO these anti-Tesla people act like this because they have understood that actually Tesla is a revolutionary automaker brand.
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the loss of friendship. Maybe that because of your passion for Tesla you will find better friends.

I would have correct the stupid statement directly (2 cars is not all across america, etc), pointed his recent lemon, and left it at that. If he came back obnoxious after having the correct info, then I'd probably end avoid him in the future.

I recently had someone I know fairly well (not a close friend, but someone I see regularly because of mutual acquaintances) ask me how I liked my Telsa and that he heard they had problems catching fire. When I explained there were only two incidents in the US, no injuries, etc. he said basically "hmm, I wonder why the media did not mention that".

He obviously has issues that go beyond his hatred of Tesla. Something is wrong in his life, the source of which manifests itself by evoking anger against an electric car. It probably stems to an inadequacy, perhaps monetary or it may be his ranking at work, something along those lines. In any event, we are all human and have flaws. When it comes to family, we have no choice so unless they cause harm or are evil, I will tough it out with them, and just limit my contact with the irritating ones. When it comes to friends, I have no time for someone like this since I can't see having any stimulating intellectual talks, or even just joking around, with him. Life's too short to deal with his crap.

This guy knows there have only been 2 fires, and our last argument came after he said to me: "Do Tesla's now come with a fire extinguisher?". After we discussed how I didn't think that was funny, he actually apologized. But he is continuing to repeatedly go out of his way to sensationalize and scare people away from Tesla. This Facebook post is just one example. I know he's doing it offline as well. It's just hard to be friends with someone that is so against something that you're passionate about. It just doesn't feel right anymore, and being against Tesla tells you a lot about a person. It's kinda like when people laugh at the wrong time in the movies - one laugh can change your opinion of their character. In this case, it's repeated anti-Tesla sentiment, without any rational thought. Now one could argue that I'm pro-Tesla, without any counter argument, but that argument falls down. Being anti-Tesla is like being anti-organic food, or anti-peace, or pro-littering. It just doesn't make sense and I'm not having it in my life.

This guy knows there have only been 2 fires, and our last argument came after he said to me: "Do Tesla's now come with a fire extinguisher?". After we discussed how I didn't think that was funny, he actually apologized. But he is continuing to repeatedly go out of his way to sensationalize and scare people away from Tesla. This Facebook post is just one example. I know he's doing it offline as well. It's just hard to be friends with someone that is so against something that you're passionate about. It just doesn't feel right anymore, and being against Tesla tells you a lot about a person. It's kinda like when people laugh at the wrong time in the movies - one laugh can change your opinion of their character. In this case, it's repeated anti-Tesla sentiment, without any rational thought. Now one could argue that I'm pro-Tesla, without any counter argument, but that argument falls down. Being anti-Tesla is like being anti-organic food, or anti-peace, or pro-littering. It just doesn't make sense and I'm not having it in my life.

I understand your frustration. This so called friend is being passive aggressive. His comments, when he is well aware that they are offensive to you, keep coming and saying that they are a joke is a lie. He is being a bully. You are better off getting someone like that out of your life. Adults shouldn't act that way.

That is just my opinion.

I understand your frustration. This so called friend is being passive aggressive. His comments, when he is well aware that they are offensive to you, keep coming and saying that they are a joke is a lie. He is being a bully. You are better off getting someone like that out of your life. Adults shouldn't act that way.

That is just my opinion.
+1
i have friends who know I want a tesla and they've cracked a few jokes about the fires, but they were one time zingers, and one of my friends does not even like electric cars, even he does not bombard me with anti tesla bs.

I would have said, I understand you are threatened by a company that shakes you and the industry you are in to the core. I know to make yourself feel better about it, you have to find every piece of negative information to try and give yourself validation. I own the car, we'll just have to see in a couple of years who's right and who's wrong. While we wait, I'll be enjoying my gas free, fast as ****, awesome looking, constantly being improved future of a car.

I don't give up on friends over something like this. I understand you're talking about "facebook" friends, but even so. I would just filter his posts for a while. If he sees that you are still his friend even after he acts like an idiot for a while, he will have no choice but to give serious consideration to what you think of Tesla and EVs.

Seems like he feels his livelihood is threatened?

This is the most likely explanation given that he's in the auto industry. I think it was @napabill who said that folks that he was friends with at the Autoweek (?) magazine couldn't hold back on bashing Tesla because, essentially, they can't make head or tail of this revolution and they kinda' see the writing on the wall.

It's basic human nature to become defensive first, passive-aggressive next and outright jealous and obnoxious finally in such a situation.

I've had real friends rib me for the three years that I waited for the Model S - they called it a "Tease-la" that'd never see the light of day. Some mentioned the fires with a chuckle. I just laughed it off though as these were/are real friends who meant well and were simply having some fun at my expense.