Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window IR coating process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the IR "coating" is worked into the glass of the MS? Is this something that is coated on the exterior of the windshield, interior or something that is worked into the glass as part of the manufacturing process?

Just wondering about using glass polishes and avoiding possible disruption/removal of the IR "coating."

Does anyone know how the IR "coating" is worked into the glass of the MS? Is this something that is coated on the exterior of the windshield, interior or something that is worked into the glass as part of the manufacturing process?

Just wondering about using glass polishes and avoiding possible disruption/removal of the IR "coating."

Frankly, I would like to "disrupt" the coating in a 4"x4" area of my choosing so I can have a more effective use of my gate transponder.

There's a matrix area to the right of the mirror, if you're in driver seat looking out, that doesn't have the coating. I think...it doesn't have a purplish hue like the rest of windshield.

Give that a try.

Hopefully they are doing that now. Early on some people were having success with that area and others were not but worth trying. Good point.

Hopefully they are doing that now. Early on some people were having success with that area and others were not but worth trying. Good point.

Moe is correct in that you can see the IR film. It has purple iridescence to it in bright direct sunlight.

My original windshield did not have ANY gap in the 'checkered area' just to the right of the mirror. I was able to put my Peach Pass on the very top edge of my windshield to get around the IR coating. My new windshield has a hole in the IR coating in the 'checkered area'.

But it breaks down to the fact that you can see the IR film. So just look. From the outside of the car an the edges in direct sunlight it will present itself to you.