Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth not allowing two devices to connect simultaneously when it should

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little background: In my old car I had a Pioneer app radio 3. I had my Android phone connected to it via Bluetooth for phone calls and I had an iOS device connected to it for streaming audio. Since they use different bluetooth profiles this worked like a charm. Fast forward a little and I get my Tesla and only ever setup my Android phone since I was using Slacker for streaming audio.

In the meantime I've become disillusioned with Slacker and the limitations they put on their system (no way to add specific songs to station seeds you can only add artists, and a general lack of the type of music I want to hear in their library). I sent an email to ownership and they responded that my best bet would be to use bluetooth streaming to work around that issue (since Pandora allows this, and Spotify has a lot of good choices as well). Sadly I discovered that my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 doesn't send bluetooth track data from pandora or spotify it only sends from google music. I figured well I've done this before I'll setup an iOS device to do the streaming audio and just use the Android phone for calls. Here's where I hit the snag.

It appears that the Tesla can only be connected to one device at a time. While the Note 3 was connected I went into settings (on the phone) and told it not to use the media profile when connected to the Tesla. The media selector went grey on the Tesla's screen but the phone was still active. I then added the iOS device and it came up as phone and media (odd since there's no phone in it). I told the car not to use phone on it. I then noticed that the Note 3 wasn't connected. Just figured since the iOS device had connected as phone initially I just needed to reconnect. I told the car to connect the Note 3 and the iOS device disconnected, odd. I then told it to connect the iOS device and the Note 3 disconnected, what? This should work as the $300 head unit in my old car worked perfectly in this situation.

I've sent an email to ownership and the local service center asking about this. I haven't tried this before getting 5.9 so that may be the culprit?

Has anyone else tried this?

+1 for wanting the ability to connect two BT devices at the same time. Two different profiles would be fine. Even better would be to support simultaneous devices with the same profile. IE two phones. This way my phone and my wife's phone will both route to the car. Outbound would go to the first phone that connected.

Just got a response back from ownership that they've added my request as a feature request to the developers. Any one else who wants it may also want to drop a line to ownership as well. I can't believe their developers overlooked this one, especially for this long. Its adding to the frustration since their tech support group was the one to tell me to use bluetooth streaming as a workaround for Slacker, since they don't appear to be replacing that anytime soon. Would be nice if they'd give us the option of using the new Rdio client over here in the states until they can get deals in place with Pandora / Spotify or open up development to third parties.

I suspect this needs two Bluetooth antennas to work correctly. Any device I've ever owned can pair multiple devices but can only have an active data exchange on one at a time. Maybe your Pioneer had two BT antennas? That's actually starting to become more common these days too.

My Toyota can have one phone connected to audio and another for media at the same time. No need for multiple antennae. Tesla should be able to do this with the current model with a software fix.

There is a difference between Bluetooth multipoint pairing (multiple devices PAIRED) and audio via Bluetooth from two devices at once (multiple devices CONNECTED). Multipoint pairing is very common, even in headsets recently, but I haven't seen many devices do multiple active connections. If someone has a specific device that they believe can operate two active connections (like the Pioneer car system mentioned), please post the specific model number here so we can see the specs.

Just to be clear, Tesla can have many phones paired but only one device can be connected.

The problem with Bluetooth is that Bluetooth isn't Bluetooth. It's a suite of communication protocols (profiles in Bluetooth speak) and most Bluetooth enabled devices only support a subset--often a very small subset. This causes no end of confusion and frustration.

There is a difference between Bluetooth multipoint pairing (multiple devices PAIRED) and audio via Bluetooth from two devices at once (multiple devices CONNECTED). Multipoint pairing is very common, even in headsets recently, but I haven't seen many devices do multiple active connections. If someone has a specific device that they believe can operate two active connections (like the Pioneer car system mentioned), please post the specific model number here so we can see the specs.

Just to be clear, Tesla can have many phones paired but only one device can be connected.
I'm pretty sure people would be OK if their music stopped while a call came in on the phone. That's how my headset handles it. (Motorola hx550) I frequently listen to music through it from my personal phone, and when a call comes in on my work phone the music from my personal phone pauses and I get the phone call, once I hang up the phone, the music from my personal phone automatically resumes. (Work phone is an iphone4, personal phone is a Samsung galaxy note 3)

+1 for wanting the ability to connect two BT devices at the same time. Two different profiles would be fine. Even better would be to support simultaneous devices with the same profile. IE two phones. This way my phone and my wife's phone will both route to the car. Outbound would go to the first phone that connected.
Hmmm. Sounds easy. But how do you handle things like contact lists? Things are a bit more complicated unless you can select which phone you are using.

Having multipairing and choosing the device is pretty foolproof. Or designating one device as the phone and other devices as audio might work. It just seems it get's pretty complicated quickly.

I don't think there is any debate that multiple paired devices can be actively visible to a hosting Bluetooth system. The question here is whether there is a software or hardware limitation on having one Bluetooth device interrupt an active (streaming audio) connection. e.g. two paired and visible devices, an Android phone call is inbound, interrupting the active music streaming from an iOS device (this is where the thread started).

It sounds like we'd need to know if this would require just a software change by Tesla to enable or whether the Tesla BT hardware simply can't support this model. There is clearly a software+hardware limitation here today. Without a Bluetooth protocol expert or a comment from Tesla, I'm not sure we can know at this point.

The problem with Bluetooth is that Bluetooth isn't Bluetooth. It's a suite of communication protocols (profiles in Bluetooth speak) and most Bluetooth enabled devices only support a subset--often a very small subset. This causes no end of confusion and frustration.

Yes and it isn't even clear to me how to express the original requestor's desire in Bluetooth speak. Can anyone do that? :)

Personally, I'd much prefer the engineers at Tesla to focus on other software capabilties, there are already a lot of music options in the car that don't require Bluetooth. Let's focus on an open app capability for the center screen, via Chrome if necessary.

Designate one phone as primary, and every other device/phone would be secondary. That would take care of the contact lists etc.

Sure, if you have one you want to make primary.

If multiple people drive the car and you want the driver's to be primary, probably need to tie-in to profiles (need Tech). Need to be sure you establish the use cases and understand what needs to be done.

Also, there clearly is a problem because Tesla is assuming any device is connecting both as a phone and a media device. My laptop connected and let me play music but when discovering the device it said it was a phone (which it isn't).

Last edited:
Bluetooth Problems

My Tesla S 85 can pair with my IPhone 6+, but now I have an Apple Watch, as well as a streamer for my hearing aids. The Tesla people told me that my car can only pair with one Bluetooth device. What am I supposed to do?? Throw my phone in first before I get in with wearing the watch and the streamer?? I am desperately hoping for an upgrade so that the Tesla bluetooth can connect to several devices at once. Of all the high-tech manufacturers in the country, Tesla should be leading the way in this matter, too.
Get with the times, Tesla!!!