Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just a few questions before placing my order...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, will probably place order within a week or two. Here's what I've decided on so far.

Red 60 kwh with the black hard roof. Anyone have this color combination? I've debated upgrading to the 85 version, but will probably never need the extra range more than once or twice a year. I drive 50-60 miles very predictably each day. Also, I am trying to stay around $1000 for monthly payments.

Leather seats with gloss obeche wood.

I've debated the tech package, but only would really value having the foldable mirrors and the automatic rear trunk. Does anyone know if these options can be added separately after purchase either at the tesla service center, or another car dealer?

I've also debated the supercharger for $2K extra but figure it really would only be cost effective for me after 8 to 10 years after purchase (we drive to Orlando twice a year and it costs me $100 for fuel for each trip, therefore twenty trips to get to a $2000 break even point). Maybe if the car is still going strong after 6 years, I will add it on at that point.

Thank you

I just ordered my Tesla and had many restless nights deciding on which model / options, etc. - so I understand your dilema. As you obviously know best how you'll use your car - there will be many opinions from forum members - please remember that these are just thoughts from a variety of members but only you know what you are willing to spend and how the car will be used. With that said here are my thoughts:

1) I would go for the 85 vs 60 - primarily for the "extra" cushion of miles -you'll probably end up driving the Tesla more than you thought, but also for resale value.
2) I would definitely go for the "tech package" - again for resale value, but more importantly, it has all the "cool" features that make it complete - i.e. naviagation, aut door handles, memory driver profiles,folding mirros, etc. I think that the folding mirrors can be added on later, but many $$'s, not sure about the auto rear trunk.
3) Pano roof - personal choice, but remember that it is required if you ever want to put a rack on the roof - the regular roof does not have the tabs on the sides of the roof to afix the bars to.
4) Dual chargers,- probably not needed in your case

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Hi,
S60 is a fine car.
I have seen a local owner's car with the MC Red and the black roof: it is stunning color combination.

1. In my case, I have found myself driving much more than I have ever driven before, so I am glad I have the S85.
Any extra money (cost) to stretch getting the 85 is probably offset by the gas savings (electricity costs much less for equivalent mileage driven).
If you decide to get the 85, you don't have the $2,000 question about access to Superchargers.
And you get the $1,000 upgrade in tires.
Things change, people move to new areas and as the Supercharger Network fills in, there will be ample opportunities to drive anywhere.
For free.

2. Tech Package is something that completes the car. It is not the same car without it. If you can afford it, go for it.

3. I have a solid roof, same color as the car. Plenty of headroom in the front (I'm 6'-3").

4. Battery warranty for a S60 is 8 years, 125,000 miles.
Battery warranty for a S85 is 8 years, unlimited mileage.

5. If you are really stretched, I would recommend doing without the leather and the upgraded wood dash and get the 85 with the Tech Package.

See signature below for my options but I have red with black roof and absolutely love the contrast. I miss not having mount points for a rack but there are really good vacuum cup mounts out there if you want to stick some bikes up top. I much prefer the look of the obeche matte to the gloss but that's just me.

85 gives me a full speed drive to Boston (75 mph) at 170 miles even in the coldest weather--I do the drive at least once a month. Would be a challenge in winter with a 60. Plus I'm doing my second road trip to TN at 900 miles each way. Your range needs may be quite different.

Roof Shot.jpg

I would push for the tech package as well. I don't think you can even add the folding mirrors after delivery unless you have the tech package but check with Tesla.

The 85kWh is also very nice with included Supercharging if you can manage that but if not, the 60kWh would work great for your commute.

When I first started dreaming about getting a Model S (they were wild dreams, before TSLA stock purchase), the tech package was "mandatory" just for the door handle auto-presentation. It's such a neat idea. But there are other things that now I would find it very difficult (ok, impossible) to be satisfied without. In order:
- rear lift back auto open/close, great with armfuls of groceries;
- nav package to combat range anxiety (compare nav mileage left to destination, to projected 50km average range left: if 1<<2 you're gold) -- although you can do this with a smartphone or other GPS mapping device too; just nice to have it all together
- driver memory for seat and mirror position - with 3 possible drivers it would be a pain to have to move things around semi-manually each time
- auto-tilt mirrors when reversing - very handy when parallel parking, and I don't want to scrape those wheels

The tech package and the pano roof were my must-haves (my wife added the parking sensors and I'm glad she did). Since we will be taking driving trips that forced the 85kwh (thus supercharging enabled) and dual chargers for 80A charging (few superchargers in Canada).

My dreams have often come true, I've been lucky (with some hard work in there somewhere), some results have even exceeded my dreams. But the Model S, and Tesla support, and Tesla attitude, have wildly surpassed my wildest expectations. To misquote Steve McQueen as Tom Horn: "And that's my [probably not] final word on the matter."

Once you get the car you are probably going to want to drive it anywhere and everywhere.
I don't have the tech package (>26k miles at this point), the folding mirrors weren't an option back then.
I'm a big proponent of the big battery but if you can avoid cold weather and have a budget to contend with
you can get away with the 60.

I have red with black roof and love it. We didn't want the pano because we're just not pano people (and Texas gets really hot). The extra room that the pano offers would be nice, but not at the cost of having a pano.

I'd spring for the 85 over the 60, if possible. You will want to drive this car all the time.

I'd give up leather before I'd give up the tech package. I have leather but I hear that Tesla's cloth seats are some of the best cloth seats ever and bring advantages over leather (e.g., increased grip and comfort).

Unless your lifestyle warrants draining the battery then recharging as quickly as possible, I'd say twin chargers aren't required. We sometimes drive the car all day, recharge during late afternoon/early evening and leave town later in the evening, so a fast recharge at home was important to us.

Last edited:
It looks like you are getting great advice. I struggled with the same question on the 60 v. the 85. And I work out of my home, so I don't have a daily commute. But everything I have read in this and other forums, is that you tend to do more driving in your Tesla, as you look for every opportunity to get behind the wheel. And, that thought is what pushed me to the 85. I, too, was trying to keep my monthly payment in the $1000 range...I went with most upgrades, and a larger down payment, and will have payments in the $1200 range.

thanks everyone for the feedback...i know there are a lot of you suggesting the 85 model, but i wouldn't feel financially secure doing this...i am currently driving a toyota avalon 2003 with 162K miles...my last payment was $275 3 years ago...so my comfort level is as close to $1000/month...

i may be able to budget in the tech package, but besides the auto liftgate, and fold up mirrors, i don't see myself using the other features...i'm not a really techie person...for example, my android smartphone is used 99% of the time for calls and texting...i hardly use any other features...

like i said before i have an extremely predictable commute of 50-60 miles a day, so i never use navigation (maybe twice a year), which my phone can handle..

i live in fort lauderdale, so someone asked regarding travel to orlando...many of the hotels that we stay at happen to be around 200 miles away, so having the supercharger enabled may be helpful...but then i was thinking that with two small children, i wouldn't want to trash my car by taking it on vacation!!! once again, my wife's ICE car should get us there fine with $100 worth of fuel

since we don't know what the long term issues may be with this car, i don't want to invest more than i have to with this car...if things go well after 3-5 years, maybe we'll trade my wife's car for the model x or some other model...but i just feel a little more anxious about some things due to the lack of a long term track record...for this reason, i probably won't be doing many or any road trips with this car yet... especially with a wife, and two small kids, it may be a little more unpredictable.

Since you are in FL, the 60 should be fine. I have not regretted sticking with my 60 even though I could have comfortably gone up to a P85. It just wasn't necessary. I would not give up the tech package, though... And I originally skipped super charging as I never take road trips. Well you know what everyone says, you WANT to drive this car places. I added it a couple of months later. I've driven my 60 from Tampa to Miami with no trouble.

thanks everyone for the feedback...i know there are a lot of you suggesting the 85 model, but i wouldn't feel financially secure doing this...i am currently driving a toyota avalon 2003 with 162K miles...my last payment was $275 3 years ago...so my comfort level is as close to $1000/month...

i may be able to budget in the tech package, but besides the auto liftgate, and fold up mirrors, i don't see myself using the other features...i'm not a really techie person...for example, my android smartphone is used 99% of the time for calls and texting...i hardly use any other features...

like i said before i have an extremely predictable commute of 50-60 miles a day, so i never use navigation (maybe twice a year), which my phone can handle..

i live in fort lauderdale, so someone asked regarding travel to orlando...many of the hotels that we stay at happen to be around 200 miles away, so having the supercharger enabled may be helpful...but then i was thinking that with two small children, i wouldn't want to trash my car by taking it on vacation!!! once again, my wife's ICE car should get us there fine with $100 worth of fuel

since we don't know what the long term issues may be with this car, i don't want to invest more than i have to with this car...if things go well after 3-5 years, maybe we'll trade my wife's car for the model x or some other model...but i just feel a little more anxious about some things due to the lack of a long term track record...for this reason, i probably won't be doing many or any road trips with this car yet... especially with a wife, and two small kids, it may be a little more unpredictable.

Some of the more advanced Nav features for road trips Tesla will be rolling out that take into account weather, elevation....etc will almost certainly require the Tech package. For me personally, it is a must have but many people do just fine without it and don't miss it. Just something to think about but since you said you rarely use Nav then likely not an issue.

The 85 kWh car would get you the 200 miles without the Supercharger but that is a stretch in the 60 at highway speeds in bad weather. You'd probably appreciate being able to skip the Supercharger with kids in the car and charge at your hotel maybe but understand the added cost is a big factor but you can always take your ICE as you said. If almost all of your driving will be under 160 miles or so then you can get by with the 60 without Supercharging.

I think you'll do fine with the 60kWh and the tech package. I believe supercharging can be added later for the same cost but double check. Good luck.

Last edited:
A very happy S60 + black roof owner here. Do have the tech package (from the pre-folding-mirror days) and I'd definitely pick this over the leather seats (I have them but I like the two-toned, part-leatherette cloth seats better) if you are not attached to the obeche interior (I have the default piano black and love it).

Given that you are in mild FL and given your driving patterns, the 60 would be plenty. Waiting on enabling Supercharging sounds wise in your case.

So, my recommended config for you:

S60
Black Roof
Tech Package
Cloth/Leatherette seats + Piano Black interior

If you are not too attached to the Red, would recommend the default White which will look great with the Black roof and would save you more money.

One thing to consider is that once you drive the Tesla for a while, you will absolutely NOT want to take anything else on vacation. Driving an ICE car will be a painful experience and you will absolutely hate it (not a good way to start a vacation).

Even a car you've driven for years and were happy with, with feel like a piece of crap. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it really is not. I almost took our old car to the shop the first time I drove it after driving the Model S for a few week, I was convinced something was wrong with the engine and the brakes.

One thing to consider is that once you drive the Tesla for a while, you will absolutely NOT want to take anything else on vacation. Driving an ICE car will be a painful experience and you will absolutely hate it (not a good way to start a vacation).

Even a car you've driven for years and were happy with, with feel like a piece of crap. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it really is not. I almost took our old car to the shop the first time I drove it after driving the Model S for a few week, I was convinced something was wrong with the engine and the brakes.
That is true! The first time I drove my Genesis after only driving my MS, I freaked out thinking that something was wrong with the steering. Hahaha. I never drove it again and finally sold it.

As for the "you will want to drive this car more" comments....not really agreeing with that for the OP. He drives the car 60-70 miles daily. I doubt that he will want to drive more than that. I also work from home and hardly drive my 60, I love my Tesla and hardly drive it but nothing makes me want to "drive it more". I could not justify the higher price of an 85 and the ONLY reason why I am selling for a P85 is because of the deal I got. I say get a loaded 60, it's peppier and can you get more options. I would recommend getting tech and the pano if you can, I am not a huge sunroof fan but that and tech seem to be a big resale factor.

First, don't go broke on a car.

Think about getting the 60 and tech. Best bang for the $, for all the reasons stated above. I'd give up every option before I gave up the tech package: the MS is a technology marvel, and the tech package adds all the little features that turn it into a luxury experience. It's like wearing an iPhone. Yes, individually you may think, "oh, I don't need that feature." But I think the cliche about the sum being greater than the parts is in effect.