Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One SC stop vs two SC stops--which is faster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking another trip to visit the in-laws in TN this weekend. My question is, with the introduction of the Bethesda supercharger, will it be faster to minimally charge in Newark to make Bethesda (100 miles, assume need 130 rated) and minimally charge in Bethesda to make Glen Allen (105 miles, assume need 135 rated) or is it faster to fully charge in Newark and drive direct to Glen Allen (201 miles, assume need 245 rated)?

I'll arrive in Newark with 20 or so rated and it's about an extra 10 minutes to get off the highway in Bethesda, get to the SC, then return to the highway. Plus the 130 charge needed. Note that I'll drive 68-70 mph whenever traffic allows unless I need to conserve range. Ignore the risk that anyone is already charging in Bethesda (only 2 stalls).

I'm leaning toward the double stop. It adds 15 minutes of drive time plus about 20 minutes to charge (35 minutes). I believe it would take longer than that to charge from 130 to 245 rated in Newark. Thoughts?

Ignore the risk that anyone is already charging in Bethesda (only 2 stalls).

I'm leaning toward the double stop.

You can not ignore that risk for Bethesda. My quick 20 min stop there at 11:05 pm on a weekday night turned into 1 hr 5 min charging time to get 88 miles of rated range. I now go out of my way to avoid that stop!

You're probably correct. If both SCs were directly on the route, it would be absolutely clear. With your small detour, it should be OK unless there is traffic getting to the Bethesda SC.

I imagine it depends on time of day and driving conditions around Bethesda.

- - - Updated - - -

Or THIS.

My quick 20 min stop there at 11:05 pm on a weekday night turned into 1 hr 5 min charging time to get 88 miles of rated range.

You can not ignore that risk for Bethesda. My quick 20 min stop there at 11:05 pm on a weekday night turned into 1 hr 5 min charging time to get 88 miles of rated range. I now go out of my way to avoid that stop!

Hm, that worries me, particularly given the time you stopped. I was planning mid-morning on Saturday (just before the mall opens). Perhaps the risk isn't worth it.

JohnQ, I am minutes away from the Bethesda SC. Should it be crowded at the mall you are welcome to use my 80A HPWC

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate the offer. There are 15-40 outlets in Bethesda and I only have a single charger so that likely wouldn't be necessary.

While @apvbguy is right that it's likely faster to do the short charges, I'm just mindful of @donauker's comment about availability. If I have to wait then I lose the benefit. Will have to sleep on it.