Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds like I am driving a souped-up Honda Civic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Explaining the sound is one thing, but it would be best if you captured a video at different speed and maybe one of us can pinpoint the problem. I've never heard that sound and I've driven fast before, well probably all of us had a little fun driving fast. There is definitely a problem.

Here is a video I took. Underneath the wind noise you'll hear a soft humming or droning, that is the sound. My girlfriend was holding the phone (and not with the microphone in the right direction) which is why I don't think it's very loud. At the 13 seconds into the video, when she turns the phone's microphone towards the back of the car, you'll hear it get louder till she moves the phone back to the microphone pointing towards the windshield. It stinks because the sound is WAY louder in person when you are in the car than what this video is portraying. I'm going to try to take a better video tomorrow.

Video link: Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting

Thanks for the video AkalStation.

Two questions, did you buy the car off Home Depot's lot and if so are you sure you did not purchase the lawn mower package rather than a Tesla certified vehicle? I am just kidding. This is definitely not normal. I would suggest it being the tires / road, but you would notice a difference immediately if you drove on another road. Do you slow down faster than normal??? If you accelerate quickly does your motor make a noise? And it might be a problem with one of the rear wheels.