Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation picks random alternatives to unknown locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gpetti

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2013
Calgary, Canada
I think ultimately I will ask Tesla Service about this but I'm wondering if this is a known "thing". I'll give two examples.
1. I asked the system to navigate to xxxx Northmount drive N.W. Calgary. It brought up an item that appeared to match but I realized after that it said xxxx North Mount drive N.W. I.e. North mount was split into two words (not unreasonable for the voice detection to do this). I selected this entry and fortunately realized that the directions didn't make sense. Looking at the final destination, it was taking me to 520 27 avenue N.E. This address has no meaning to me whatsoever and I have no idea where it came from.
2. My wife typed in 19369 Sheriff king street S.w. She ended up at 275 Silverado Plains Close S.W. This route did lead her onto and past sheriff king street but provided ongoing directions to this seemingly random address.
I believe that I both examples the addresses did not exist. In the first instance due to the street name being split into two parts and in the second instance due to the location being new and not in the map data. Either way, the Nav software did not indicate any issue and allowed us to select the actual address that we had requested but then invented a destination using no algorithm I can conceive of.
Anyone seen this before?

I saw this 2 times early last year in the same city. After discussing with Service, it was determined that it was a google error. It was totally reproducible. Tesla worked with Google to rectify. I believe it was nothing whatsoever wrong with the car or systems.