Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVTripPlanner request for data: Watt Hours per Rated Mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a request for data from the EVTripPlanner team to TMC members. EVTripPlanner.com has become a very popular site/tool for Model S owners who need to estimate energy usage and plan road trips. We've recently started reporting energy used per segment/trip in Rated Miles (RM) in addition to kWh. We can calculate kWh directly, but to convert to RM we need to know what Tesla is using for watt hours per rated mile. Unfortunately, they do not publish this and change it from time-to-time with software releases. WE NEED YOU TO PROVIDE US SOME DATA SO WE CAN REVERSE ENGINEER WHAT TESLA USES FOR WATT-HOURS-PER-RATED-MILE (WhpRM). We just need a few snapshots of the following - as long as the data is all from the same moment in time, we can calculate WhpRM. Please reply to this thread with the following 6 items

* Model (85, 60, 40
* Wheel size (19 or 21)
* Software version (available by touching tesla logo on main screen)
* Rated Miles Remaining (from speedometer)
FROM ENERGY APP (last 30 miles average is best):
* Average watt hours per mile
* Projected Range

Thanks for your help!

FYI, you can figure out what Tesla is using as watt hours per rated mile with this formula:

(Energy App Projected Range / Speedometer Rated Range) * Energy App Average Watt Hours per Mile

Last edited:
Cliff, love your site and has come in handy on a road trip. Have you seen the thread that @cinergi started? Rated range affected by driving history.He asked owners to report Wh/mi on the energy graph when rated miles in the speedo matches projected miles in the 30mile energy graph. Likely some good data for you there.

My details were:
85kWh w/12,500 miles.
19" Wheels
5.8.8 firmware
327 Wh/mi since July (replaced controller unit that reset all data)

Between 298 and 304 Wh/mi when Projected matches rated
At 185 miles rated: fluctuated between 300 and 304 Wh/mi
At 98 miles rated: fluctuated between 298 and 302 Wh/mi

Temperature was 38F. At 185, battery was ambient. At 98 battery was warm.

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for a great site!

To make things a bit more complicated, there is another number I think you want, and that is the energy unit that is used to decrement the range displayed on the dash. Tesla takes a little bit of the "rated range" energy unit, and stores that off to a below 0 miles reserve. For example, my car now (5.9) uses a "rated range" energy unit of ~300Wh/mi (from ~306 Wh/mi from 4.0->~5.8), but decrements the display at about 280 Wh/mi. Up to now I've seen various numbers for the old 85s, newer 85s, and 60s. I have an old 85, so I'm not sure if the new 85s changed equally.

Good luck!

Peter

@bluetinc - thanks for kudos and info. Since we're trying to report rated miles consumed, this sure would complicate things. If we report rated miles remaining (which would be more straightforward based on our base kWh consumption calculation), we'd need users to report starting Rated Miles, which seemed cumbersome and not-as-good. Wish Tesla would just report kWh remaining! (also wish we knew the actual kWh usable that corresponds to rated range - I estimate about 7.5% reserve starting with range charge)

- - - Updated - - -

@JohnQ - thanks for kudos. It has been a project with my talented kids - Ben, now 16, did most of the coding (and keeps the donations for his college fund). The other kids have been involved, too. Thanks for the data and pointer - I'll review the other thread. I'm sure we'll get good info that can refine our RM calculations.

Cliff -
Please pass on my kudos to your kids -- fantastic planning tool. New design looks and works great also!

I do have a couple feature requests:
1) Would be nice to display the start/stop and waypoint letters on the Steps and Details tabs on the row that corresponds to that point. Would make it easier to find those waypoints on the directions. Just the green circle with a letter in it...
2) Also would be nice to have a way to show "Rated Miles needed to get to next waypoint". This would be great for planning charging stops on longer road trips -- perhaps this becomes a charging plan tab that allows the user to ID waypoints that are charging stops, # of rated miles need to charge to (including an extra reserve -- 10%, 20% selected by the user, charging type, and an estimated charging time...

As for the data you are requesting -- here's my input:

* Model (85, 60, 40) 60
* Wheel size (19 or 21) 19
* Software version (available by touching tesla logo on main screen) 5.9 -- 1.51.94
* Rated Miles Remaining (from speedometer) 88
FROM ENERGY APP (last 30 miles average is best): 30 mile avg
* Average watt hours per mile 325
* Projected Range 79

Note -- this is from my commute today, which is ~24 miles each way. The office is about 1000 feet lower in elevation than my house -- so I get significantly different Wh/mi readings depending on direction. For my full commute today, I used 51 rated miles over 49.8 actual miles and the trip meter shows the average wh/mi was 276... 5.9 also seems to have some vampire loss reduction -- I arrived at the office with 122 RM remaining and it still showed that when I left about 10 hours later (on 5.8 and before, I would lose anywhere from 1-6 miles while parked at the office...).