Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors to deliver more than 100 taxi-EV's for use at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
Good news.

The Schiphol Group has just made this press release:

Schiphol kiest voor duurzaam taxivervoer

Schiphol, 9 april 2014
Schiphol Group heeft vandaag de voorgenomen gunning aan de deelnemers van de Europese aanbesteding voor het taxivervoer van personenwagens vanaf Schiphol bekend gemaakt. De winnaars zijn Zorgvervoercentrale Nederland B.V. (ZCN), Willemsen-de Koning B.V. en Bergisch, Boekhoff & Frissen B.V. (BBF). De concessie gaat in op 1 juni en betreft een periode van vier jaar met twee maal de mogelijkheid van een verlening van twee jaar.
Naast het aanbieden van kwalitatief en kwantitatief hoogwaardig taxivervoer was de belangrijkste eis het leveren van een aanzienlijke bijdrage aan de duurzaamheidsambities van Schiphol op het gebied van luchtkwaliteit en CO2-uitstoot. De aanbiedingen van alle partijen waren innovatief en van zeer hoog niveau.

Elektrische Schiphol taxi's
Het personen taxivervoer vanaf Schiphol zal vanaf eind 2014 worden uitgevoerd door meer dan 100 volledig elektrische taxi's van Tesla Motors. Hiermee draagt het taxivervoer bij aan de verduurzaming van de mobiliteit op de luchthaven.

Duurzaam ondernemen
Corporate Responsibility is verankerd in de bedrijfsvoering van Schiphol. Om Europe's Preferred Airport te blijven, neemt Schiphol haar verantwoordelijkheid met betrekking tot klimaatvriendelijke luchtvaart, bereikbaarheid en luchtkwaliteit. Dat betekent onder meer dat Schiphol de CO2-uitstoot op de luchthaven vermindert en actief bijdraagt aan schoner verkeer van, naar en op de luchthaven.

Here is the english translation:

Schiphol chooses sustainable taxi

Schiphol , April 9, 2014

Schiphol Group has today announced the proposed award to the participants of the competition for the taxi passenger announced from Schiphol . The winners are Zorgvervoer Central Netherlands BV ( ZCN ) , Willemsen -de Koning BV and Bergisch , Book & Hoff Frissen BV ( BBF ) . The concession will start on 1 June, covering a period of four years with two times the possibility of an extension of two years.

Apart from offering qualitative and quantitative quality taxi was the main requirement to provide a significant contribution to the sustainability ambitions Schiphol air quality and CO2 emissions . Offers from all parties were innovative and very high level.

Schiphol electric taxis
The people taxi from Schiphol will be carried out by more than 100 fully electric taxis Tesla Motors. Late 2014 This contributes taxi to the sustainability of mobility at the airport .

sustainable business
Corporate Responsibility is embedded in the management of Schiphol . To continue , Europe's Preferred Airport Schiphol takes its responsibility with regard to climate-friendly aviation, accessibility and air quality . What this means is that Schiphol reduces CO2 emissions at the airport and actively contributes to cleaner traffic to, from and to the airport.

Here is the link: http://www.schiphol.nl/SchipholGrou...icht/SchipholKiestVoorDuurzaamTaxivervoer.htm

Can you just imagine the exposure if major airports started using Model S for taxis? Tesla does not need this exposure today but that would be a heck of a way to spend a marketing budget when they do need to generate sales; simply start populating metro airport taxis companies with MS.

Can you just imagine the exposure if major airports started using Model S for taxis? Tesla does not need this exposure today but that would be a heck of a way to spend a marketing budget when they do need to generate sales; simply start populating metro airport taxis companies with MS.

Adding a Supercharger station near the airport will help as well, I think. JFK New York also already has a Supercharger station. Just imagine what will happen if Tesla Motors decide to place a Supercharger station near every (large) airport!!!

Just make Model E hit target and let the cabbies do the job themselves. ;)

Incase there comes a SuperCharger at the airport then it will be Terrorized by the taxi drivers.....good luck getting your car charged there

- - - Updated - - -

Next Challenge....how do they want to get 100 cars charged all the time? there must be a heck of a infrastructure build to accommodate that sort of charging power. maybe there will be effective 50 cars driving around while the other half gets charged.

Adding a Supercharger station near the airport will help as well, I think. JFK New York also already has a Supercharger station. Just imagine what will happen if Tesla Motors decide to place a Supercharger station near every (large) airport!!!

A higher level Tesla employee told me the JFK Supercharger location is because a car service company bought 10 or 12 Model S's that will be based out of JFK.

This might be a good use for a battery swapping station.
Your idea was realized at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in May 2012 bij Better Place.
Read here: Better Place swap station being built in Schiphol Amsterdam airport
attachment.php?attachmentid=9382&d=1346597936.jpg

The (Israelian) company went belly up in May 2013.

I think wireless charging at the taxi stand would be an idea. The taxis are usually spending time being parked/in line at the airport waiting for fares. They might as well pick up a charge at this time (wired is not handy as they move forward in the line). Perhaps a good idea for Tesla to come up with a wireless charging option. Easy enough to build the chargers in the ground at the taxi stand.

Incase there comes a SuperCharger at the airport then it will be Terrorized by the taxi drivers.....good luck getting your car charged there

- - - Updated - - -

Next Challenge....how do they want to get 100 cars charged all the time? there must be a heck of a infrastructure build to accommodate that sort of charging power. maybe there will be effective 50 cars driving around while the other half gets charged.

Airports have peak and downtimes. Supercharge at night, have a bunch of HPWCs ...

There's a Tesla Taxi where I live in Quebec City. It's believed to be the only one in North America. (A regular taxi, not a limo or car service.) The driver says 85% of his customers have never heard of Tesla. Naturally, they're mesmerized.

I'd give contact info in case anyone is going there and needs a taxi, but I haven't yet read the board rules on advertizing.

This is awesome!

I've talked with taxi drivers here in Spain who want a Model S. They said the savings on maintenance and energy costs more than compensated for the initial outlay. The Model S is a good taxi, period. As with Prius taxis, drivers love the silence when stopped. The constant rumble of an ICE every minute of every day must drive them crazy.

As for superchargers at the airport. One full charge a day would probably be enough (there are Leaf Taxi's here in Spain and they do less kms than that). To deliver 100 supercharges a day they would need at least 5 charge points. One way they could do it is have the taxi's queue up 5 wide and have them pass through the 5 charge points before they pick up passengers (kinda like a tollbooth). While they wait they could get a 10 minute charge which would probably recover all they had used in their previous journey.

As was said before, these superchargers would always be full of Tesla Taxis so not much use for us mere mortal drivers unfortunately :(

One of the taxi companies introduced 2 Leafs the other day and there was a bunch of media coverage. They said an average cabbie in Budapest drives 100-300km a day. Now i don't think Amsterdam is bigger than Budapest, so the figures should be similar. Even with the weight of the luggage and passenger, plus AC, i don't see how an S would run out of juice before the end of the day. Remember this will not be driving at highway speeds. Hell, they may even be OK with S60s. I think a fleet of regular HPWCs would do the job overnight.

Last edited:
Tesla Motors to deliver more than 100 taxi-EV's for use at Amsterdam Schiphol...

FYI Texel has the same area as the city of Amsterdam. Both are twice the area of Manhattan. Longest return cab ride would be 40 km (25 Miles) or so. The ride from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam city center is 20 km one-way. Same business case, I'd say.

I think wireless charging at the taxi stand would be an idea. The taxis are usually spending time being parked/in line at the airport waiting for fares. They might as well pick up a charge at this time (wired is not handy as they move forward in the line). Perhaps a good idea for Tesla to come up with a wireless charging option. Easy enough to build the chargers in the ground at the taxi stand.

Not yet. Wireless will come into its own when there's better autopilot. Then you'd be able to get closer to optimal charging through better parking.