Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Electric Vehicle Advocacy PAC is now live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: There is an update post at the end of the thread, current as of 10/22/2014.

I am happy to announce that the Washington Electric Vehicle Advocacy PAC (WEVA PAC) is now live and has accepted its first donations. More information is available at the wevapac.com web site with the link below:

Home

The WEVA PAC is a strictly non-partisan organization lobbying and supporting law makers for key issues on EV policy. Examples include:
- Support for continuing the EV sales tax exemption
- Fair treatment for EVs in road taxes
- Support for a free market that welcomes any car company that is innovating with electric vehicles

The WEVA PAC needs contributions and volunteers.

Donations

We are looking for donations from as many donors as possible to show the level of support for EVs that a state with the highest per capita EV use can rally. Even small $10 donations have significant value here. To make donating as easy as possible the web site supports on-line donation via paypal.

But we are also looking to build a significant fund in order to have the maximum possible impact in Olympia. Because of this we are looking for a small number of large donors to jump start its operations as a select group of founding members. We are looking for founders to donate $1000.

This is certainly a significant ask. But when you consider the impact of EVs and sustainable transport on society it will be money well invested. And recall that in Washington the EV you may have purchased (or are looking to purchase) came with no sales tax (an almost 10% savings) and a $7500 federal tax credit. The WEVA PAC can be an excellent place to "pay forward" with some of those funds.

Volunteers

The WEVA PAC is also looking for a number of volunteers.

Web site builder - The [very] basic WEVA PAC web site needs a talented volunteer to give it the attention it needs.
Fund Raising Chairperson - We are looking for a volunteer to coordinate our initial fund raising activities.
Volunteers to Lobby in Olympia - We would like to collect a list of registered WA voters who are willing to spend a day or two working with legislators in Olympia. We are especially interested in people reaching out to the representatives and senator from their own voting district
Graphic Artist - To help with the web site and to design a WEVA PAC Logo

If interested in helping please e-mail: [email protected]

The WEVA PAC is registered with the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission. Its operations will be completely transparent with all donations and spending documented with the state and explained to supporters.

I think existing EV advocacy groups like Plug In America and the Seattle Electric Vehicle Association (SEVA) are doing a great job in general education (ex: National Plug In Day) and informing our legislatures of the wisdom of EV friendly laws.

But the recent overwhelming votes in Olympia to pass the dealer protection act (93-3 and 47-0) convinced me of the power of money and a strong lobby. In addition the situation in New Jersey and other states was just more confirmation for me that we need to at least try to fight back. For example, even though the press talks about Ohio as a success for Tesla, it limits Tesla to only one more store and freezes all other possible car start ups out of the direct model. This is in addition to other key EV issues that will be raised in the next legislative session in Olympia. For example extending the EV sales tax for electric cars.

I would like the WEVA PAC to provide money to back up the enthusiasm of EV owners (like the great turn out of Tesla owners in Olympia on short notice) and existing advocacy groups.

I you would like additional information please PM me or email [email protected]

Last edited:
I'm interested in how your committee will be structured and how many members and advisors there will be? I didn't see any of your founding documents or State registration references on the webpage.

Even more importantly, how will the PAC's priorities be determined? I was wondering what priorities would be for the immediate future. I have several concerns with regard to EV incentives, the lack of extended warranties in Washington State, how grant money is being used and applied, accessibility to direct sales, charging standards and much more!

At the top of the list is the inability to get and extended warranty. Time is running out on that, along with the Sales Tax incentive.

I'm interested in how your committee will be structured and how many members and advisors there will be? I didn't see any of your founding documents or State registration references on the webpage.

Even more importantly, how will the PAC's priorities be determined? I was wondering what priorities would be for the immediate future. I have several concerns with regard to EV incentives, the lack of extended warranties in Washington State, how grant money is being used and applied, accessibility to direct sales, charging standards and much more!

At the top of the list is the inability to get and extended warranty. Time is running out on that, along with the Sales Tax incentive.

A quick update. The first week of the PAC went well with a little over $5000 pledged/donated. The next push we will make is to try and increase the number of small donors who are contributing just $10 or more.

The WEVA PAC is registered with the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission. Transparency will be seen through their web site with all donations and campaign contributions documented. In addition the WEVA PAC is registered with the IRS.

The structure of the PAC is very simple at this point. We did not want to make it complicated at its current size and because it is new. The PAC is run by a treasurer with the Founding members as advisors.

The PAC is looking for advice on how to use its limited funds from a number of sources. We are meeting with and listening to feedback from established EV advocacy groups (ex: SEVA and Plug in America). These groups do a great job advocating for EV issues but because of charter/non-profit status/choice do not directly contribute to political campaigns. The WEVA PAC was established for that purpose. We are also attending events in the area to hear from EV advocates who are not members.

Here is the current/past events calendar (focused on my advocating as treasurer):

Last Monday I attended the initial meeting of the Eastside Electric Vehicle Association and spoke about the WEVA PAC and listened to concerns and opinions of others on EV advocacy.
Saturday I was at the Exotics at Redmond Town Center Car Show with my Tesla Model S and Telsa Roadster. This was more educational outreach for a non-EV focused audience.
Next Saturday (the 19th) I will be at the North Sound Electric Vehicle Association Meeting which starts with a tour of Skagit Valley Gardens tulip fields. And then a meeting on EV Advocacy and a brief presentation on the WEVA PAC.
On Sunday May 11th I will be at XXX Root Beer Spring Electric Vehicle Show at XXX Root Beer 98 NE Gilman Blvd Issaquah, WA, United States, This show is sponsored by Plug in America and EVA and will be a great place to talk about and see dozens of electric cars.
On Tuesday the 13th of May I will be attending the SEVA monthly meeting.
Friday-Sunday June 6-8 I will be participating in the Plug-In NCW Fun Raiser.
And on future Saturdays when I have nothing else scheduled I will try and be at Redmond Town Center for the exoticsat.com car show, with my Tesla Roadster. So I should be easy to find to discuss issues.

Our current priorities are:

- Support for continuing the WA EV sales tax exemption
- Fair treatment for EVs in road taxes
- Support for a free market that welcomes any car company that is innovating with electric vehicles

I was not aware that WA state had road blocks in place that stopped or hampered extended warranties. If this is a general issue impacting EVs I would be happy to learn more.

You can always reach the PAC for more information at: [email protected] or at the website wevapac.com

Last edited:
Six, We will also be at Jack' Plug-in Fun Raiser. P85+ mc Red. Lets try to connect, I am a local elected official and go to OLYMPIA often, would be happy to do a bit of lobby effort on behalf of the WEVA PAC. That should be a fun week-end, hope the ice cream store in Winthrop is open.

Six, We will also be at Jack' Plug-in Fun Raiser. P85+ mc Red. Lets try to connect, I am a local elected official and go to OLYMPIA often, would be happy to do a bit of lobby effort on behalf of the WEVA PAC. That should be a fun week-end, hope the ice cream store in Winthrop is open.

Well we should be able to run into each other as we try and figure out who's car is who's, since I also have a P85+ mc Red. :biggrin:

I am definitely looking for help so very interested in talking to you about lobbying in Olympia.

We are staying at The Mazama Country Inn two nights so should be easy to find

I will send you a PM and you can always contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
MAY UPDATE

May Calls to Action:
- We could use more contributions from WA registered voters, even a $10 contribution helps meet state guidelines for PACs. Donations of less then $25 are anonymous on state filings and can be easily made on-line in less then a minute
- We could use a talented artist to help us with a clean/simple logo for the web site, literature, and business cards

April was a good first month for the PAC. We raised $6210. The fund raising documents are filed and available for inspection at the WA Public Disclosure Commission web site. It would be nice to think we could do that monthly but we of course can not. For this years election cycle our fund raising goal is $12,000 with a stretch goal of $20,000. Our broad agenda for the year is:

- Fund raising leading up to November elections
- Education and Preparing for Jan 2015 legislative session
- Contributions to key incumbents and challengers for the Nov. elections

Our legislative priorities for next year are:

- Extension of the WA sales tax exception for electric cars
- Allowing direct sales of cars in WA (as long as car manufacturer does not have franchises in the state)
- Having WA join eight other states (CA, OR, MD, NY, MA, ...) in the Zero Emission alliance

It has been a busy month with the WEVA PAC attending multiple events including car shows, EVA meetings, and the Electrathon in the Tri-Cities.

Upcoming events include:

Sunday May 11th we will be at XXX Root Beer Spring Electric Vehicle Show at XXX Root Beer 98 NE Gilman Blvd Issaquah, WA, United States, This show is sponsored by Plug in America and EVA and will be a great place to talk about and see dozens of electric cars.
On Tuesday the 13th of May I will be attending the SEVA monthly meeting.
Friday-Sunday June 6-8 we will be participating in the Plug-In NCW Fun Raiser.
And on future Saturdays when I have nothing else scheduled I will try and be at Redmond Town Center for the exoticsat.com car show, with my Tesla Roadster. So I should be easy to find to discuss issues.

If you have any questions or comments please e-mail us at [email protected] or visit our website "www.wevapac.com"

In this document you will find information from a final report that will help guide Jay Inslee's mission:
http://www.governor.wa.gov/issues/economy/climateWorkgroup/documents/Task_4_Final_Report_10-13-2013.pdf

A legislative aide told me last week that one of the best things we can do for more effective lobbying is to get on the State bill mailing list. The will send information and progress on any bills associated with key search terms that you submit. (i.e. ZEV, EV, emissions, Dealership, car manufacturer, etc.)

In this document you will find information from a final report that will help guide Jay Inslee's mission:
http://www.governor.wa.gov/issues/e.../documents/Task_4_Final_Report_10-13-2013.pdf

A legislative aide told me last week that one of the best things we can do for more effective lobbying is to get on the State bill mailing list. The will send information and progress on any bills associated with key search terms that you submit. (i.e. ZEV, EV, emissions, Dealership, car manufacturer, etc.)

Thanks for the ideas. They are very helpful. Fund raising is going well and bill tracking, public awareness, and focusing on donations for the Nov. elections are all work in progress now.

WEVA PAC will be at the Seattle Greeenwood Auto show on June 28th, in the SEVA area.

Given the news that Michigan has decided to ban Tesla sales, it feels like it is time for an update on the WEVA PAC. (For details on this WA EV Advocacy PAC please see the first post or go to wevapac.com).

The WEVA PAC is involved in helping to create a legislative agenda that promotes electric vehicles in the state of Washington. We have roughly 3 phases of work across a year (though they overlap).

- Fund Raising We try and focus our key fund raising from roughly March through July. This roughly corresponds to the time from the end of the Legislative session to the beginning of election season. We of course take donations any time.

- Election Season and Contributions From August through November. For the most part, because of limited resources, the WEVA PAC only participates in the general election not the primary election.

- Lobbying during the Legislative Session In January and February. While the WA legislature is in session we work to try and influence legislation that is supportive of Electric Vehicle policy and good for our State.

UPDATE 10/22/2014

Fund Raising

Since being formed in April of 2014 the WEVA PAC has raised over $10,000. To date the contributions have come solely from generous individual WA voters. Next year we will likely spend some time and try to get additional support from EV manufacturers and enlightened dealers who sell EVS. Given the short fund raising season this year and having to start from scratch we are happy with these results. While more is always better, this is a good start. We are not actively fund raising at the moment, but donations are always welcome. We especially welcome small ($10+) donations from voters that expand our reach for lobbying efforts. You can donate on-line at wevapac.com in just a minute using paypal/credit card.

Election Season and Contributions

We have donated to about 25 campaigns so far leading up to the general election. Contributions have been made to candidates based on their support of EV policy, regardless of political party. Candidates have been selected based on public statements of support for EV, sponsoring past EV bills, positive responses to questionnaires sent to their campaigns, recommendations of contributors and EV advocates, etc. It is not too late to get involved. You can vote for candidates that support EVs. In addition you can write to [email protected] and recommend candidates for the WEVA PAC to contribute. All of our contributions and donations are tracked at the WA State Public Disclosure Commission.

Lobbying during the Legislative Session

We have begun to finalize our agenda for 2015 legislative session. Our top priority is to extend the Electric Car Sales Tax Exemption beyond its current expiration date of July 1st, 2015. At the bottom of this post you will find a very quick overview of our current focus.

Call to Action

The WEVA PAC can always use help:

- Donate (small donations are very welcome)
- Offer your feedback on candidates, legislative agenda, people to contact who might support our efforts, etc
- Volunteer to help us run the PAC or lobby in Olympia (we are considering hiring a part-time lobbyist to help in our first legislative season)

Thanks for your time, attention and support

David Kiker
Treasurer - WEVA PAC

Key Policy Areas supported by WEVA PAC:

1) We support extending the electric car sales tax exception beyond its current expiration on June 30, 2015.

Current policy has led to the highest per capita electric car sales in the country
The Nissan Leaf (all electric car) is now the best selling Nissan model in Seattle
The WEVA PAC would prefer a simple extension of the sales tax exemption for new electric cars. But if modifications to the bill would allow it to gain broader appeal we would be supportive. For example, limiting the sales tax exemption to the first $50,000 in cost of the car.

2) We support a bill allowing Electric Vehicles to use Car Pool lanes.

Allowing electric cars to use car pool lanes is now
permitted in eleven states
This is a proven way to support a transition to sustainable transport with a minimal cost to the state

3) We support the state of WA joining the zero emission alliance of states.

8 states are now part of the zero emission alliance including our west coast neighbors Oregon and California. Those states represent 23% of the US car market.
One critical benefit of joining the alliance would allow Washingtonians to have access to many additional electric car models. Many, so-called compliance, electric cars are only available in states like CA and OR.
The WEVA PAC would prefer WA to simply join the zero emission alliance as 8 other states have done. But if compromise would allow more people to support this effort, the WEVA PAC would be supportive. For example, our main goal is to get a full range of electric car models for sale in Washington. We would not necessarily need to support vehicle credits or carbon offsets as part of this effort.

Last edited:
Might be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like to see the Model S granted an exception to RCW 46.16A.200 5(b):
5)(a) Display. License plates must be:
i) Attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle if two license plates have been issued;
(b) The Washington state patrol may grant exceptions to this subsection if the body construction of the vehicle makes compliance with this section impossible.

While not "impossible" to mount a license plate on the Model S, it obviously goes against the intent of the manufacturer who designed it to be extremely aerodynamic for efficiency, not to mention that there's forward facing radar on the car now.

In the meantime, I guess I'll look into options for attaching a plate that do not require me to deform the car or block the radar.

Might be a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I'd like to see the Model S granted an exception to RCW 46.16A.200 5(b):

While not "impossible" to mount a license plate on the Model S, it obviously goes against the intent of the manufacturer who designed it to be extremely aerodynamic for efficiency, not to mention that there's forward facing radar on the car now.

In the meantime, I guess I'll look into options for attaching a plate that do not require me to deform the car or block the radar.

I think my response fits in some other thread, but there was a provision about changes in car performance. We alluded to it numerous times we got pulled over in Benz SLKs (due to speeding or whatever), and never had issues with the police. You still need the other plate kept in the car.

There are some early Model S posts about a bracket that goes underneath the nose allowing you to avoid drilling holes. Model S owners can speak with more authority, but I believe you can request them not to drill such holes for you.

I have driven my P85+ without front plates for 18 months and have not had a problem. I keep them in the car and have vowed that if I get a ticket I will look for a solution. So far so good.

I make minor concessions in not having a front plate. I heard that in Seattle the parking police will sometimes write no front plate tickets. So in the city I try to always park in a garage not on the streets.

Would it block the radar? Doesn't radar go through it?

Yeah, the odds of getting pulled over just for the plate are low, but I don't want to give the police a free excuse to pull me over and then decide what I've done wrong afterwards :)
Not that all cops would do that, I hold most officers in high regard (even the ones I got in trouble with as a youth)... but some would do that.

Would it block the radar? Doesn't radar go through it?
The forward facing radar is down below the nose cone. There's a removable mount for front plates called "The Law", but it mounts low and would block the radar. However they just created a new version which doesn't interfere with the radar, so I'm going to grab one of those instead of using tape.
For comparison: Old version (blocks radar) & New Version (doesn't block radar)

I ordered the new version yesterday, hopefully it'll get here about the same time I get my permanent plates.

This is a very old thread, but I am wondering if there is any hope for more EV friendly laws making their way through the WA state legislature this year. It's a short sessio, so I doubt much, and I believe there was a sales tax reduction for EVs last year, but you never know. Maybe as they go to fix the vehicle tabs issues they can through in something for EVs.