Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day trip Austin-Plano tomorrow. Advice for a quick charge in Plano/Dallas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Making my first day trip from Austin to Plano tomorrow. Plan on stopping at the Supercharger in Waco on the way up, but worried about the trip from Waco > Plano > Waco in my Model S P85+ without much time to charge in Plano.

I'm speaking at an event at the NYLO Hotel in Plano and while they said I could plug into their 120v during my speech (about two hours), I don't think that's going to give me enough juice to make it back to the Supercharger in Waco.

Any advice or thoughts? Any 50amp chargers near Plano that aren't in Plugshare or even a 30amp where I can grab a quick bite? I called the Service Center in Dallas but they can't charge past 7 (they don't have outside chargers) and the chargers at the new Gallary at North Park aren't installed yet (according to a friend who works there).

Appreciate your advice. Either way I'll be stopping along the way back to Waco - just don't know where (or for how long...)

Thanks,

Adam

There are several options in Plano - they are listed on Plugshare. My recommendation would be the ones at the Whiskey Cake at parker and the tollway. This is a great place to eat - across the street there are two in front of the Cinemark if you want to catch a movie - its a very nice theater, but these are occasionally iced. You are welcome to use my 14-50 if you get desperate.

About two miles north of NYLO at Preston and Gaylord Parkway there is a Twin Peaks restaurant with a J1772 charger. There is another public charger also in that shopping center (behind the Panda Express). I THINK they are both on the Blink network. They will typically charge at 6KW.

Perhaps you can have a valet at the hotel or someone else at your event give you a round trip ride so that you can collect electrons during your talk.

My favorite free charging option in Dallas is the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway. They are on the Chargepoint Network. The bookstore is enormous and open 'til 11:00.

You guys are great. Thank you. I didn't realize that the Corsicana SC was so advantageous. So, it's likely I am going to see both SCs tomorrow - definitely stopping in Waco on my way to Plano and depending on whether I have a chance to charge in Plano (and how my range goes), I'll return either thru Corsicana or go back the way I came in Waco.

And yes to the questions of whether I have the PlugShare app - that's why I mentioned it in my original message. I was hoping someone would have some personal-experience suggestions, and you guys came to the rescue. I have a ChargePoint card but not a Blink card - can you use their network without one?

Thanks again,

Adam

At Classic BMW in Plano, there are now TWO ChargePoint charging stations, enough to charge four cars.
They are off the Tollway @ W. Spring Creek Pkwy.

One of the MS (brown) that came to the C&C this past weekend arrived late(ish) and charged there.

There is a FREE charging station (16 mph charging) around the corner from the new Whole Foods (outside the AT&T store) on Belt Line and Tollway in Addison.

I have a Blink card from my travels thru Tennessee.
Used it for a short bit, it would work in a pinch, but RV park charging is faster.

Superchargers are just so much more efficient than anything else, I would purposefully go out of my way in order to use one and save that much time.

OR, if you arrive in Corsicana in time, be sure to enjoy some of their baked delights!

I've done the Waco to Corsicana jog to Dallas when I didn't know if I'd be able to charge in Dallas overnight. A little out of the way, but with all the highway construction north of Waco, heading into Dallas on I-45 instead of I-35 is more pleasant anyway. I would suggest the Corsicana jog to Dallas on the way there, that way if you do charge enough in Dallas you could come straight to Waco on the way home, and if not then stop in Corsicana on the way back. (That was my plan in a 60, maybe it's not necessary in an 85).

Hey everyone,

Wanted to give you an update on my trip yesterday there/back from Austin-Plano.

I left Austin yesterday morning and stopped at the SC in Waco. The Collin Street Bakery is great - great food, free wifi and lots of space to stretch out in. I made a point of thanking the restaurant manager for having the SuperCharger there. (There was one other SC spot being used but I didn't figure out who the owner was).

Austin > Waco I was making great energy stats at 298 Wh/Mi going 5-7 over speed limit. Charged for 30 mins and went from 160 range to 243.

Realizing that I was probably going to have a time-crunch to charge near my NYLO Hotel in Plano (thanks to all of you who offered your homes and advice on Level 2 chargers), and also realizing the traffic on I-35 north of Waco stunk, I made my way to Corsicana via hwy 31. Great road with little traffic. 75 mph except for a few towns you drive thru. Opened the sunroof and really enjoyed it. Nice drive.

Made it to Corsicana with plenty of juice. But the point here was to juice up to close to 100% so I could make it to Plano and then back without charging. At Corsicana I was averaging 313 Wh/Mi overall for the trip, 340 Wh/Mi for the leg. Charged for about 90 minutes (had a leisurely lunch at the Collins Street Bakery there in Corsicana) and left full with 271 range.

Had a nice drive up I-45 to Plano thru Dallas. A lot nicer drive than I-35 but was surprised that the speed limit is 65 for a lot of the way (rather than 70 or 75 like on I-35, even though there are many more lanes). Meetings in Plano went well and I left Dallas last night around 7. Had more than enough juice to make it back to Waco, so headed down I-35 and got into Waco around 9. Had about 40 miles of range when I got there.

Collins Street Bakery at the SC was closed, but I was able to walk over to the Denny's where I had dinner while the car charged up. 30 minutes was more than enough to make it back home to Austin.

In all, about 460 miles with three SC stops (one full and two partial). Feel a LOT better about range anxiety after this productive (and free-energy) trip...

Thanks for all of your suggestions...

Adam

Because the cities along that stretch of I-45 balance their budget with a radar gun and prefer the lower speed limits to help their bottom line.
Actually, the speed limit is set by the county on most of these stretches. The speed limit does increase to 75 north of Waco, but drops to 65 when you hit Ellis county, around mile marker 375 (half way between the split and Italy). I've been stopped many times on that stretch.

Great info on the Austin-Plano trip! Never thought of a dog leg through Corsicana.

I am making the same trip in my 60 next week and will give it a try.

It is funny how Austin has mostly Chargepoint chargers while DFW is dominated by Blink. I requested a Blink card so I could charge there just in case.

It is funny how Austin has mostly Chargepoint chargers while DFW is dominated by Blink. I requested a Blink card so I could charge there just in case.
Doug, Austin Energy contracts with Chargepoint for its Plug-in Everywhere program, the $25 card for 6 months charging. (Most Tesla owners in Austin haven't paid attention to this as we don't need to charge around town). Being a city owned utility it has the monopoly on electricity sales in its service area and that includes car charging stations. No one else is allowed to charge for electricity. Houston and Dallas have deregulated electricity market.