Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip from DC to Miami in 60kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on taking a road trip from DC to Miami in my Model S 60kwh. Has anyone done this in a 60kwh car ? I am worried about the distance between the Savannah Supercharger and St. Augustine Supercharger. Its about 170miles and I am not sure if my Model S can handle it...Also has anyone charged at the Miami beach TESLA showroom ?

I've done Raleigh to Miami in an 85 but the only leg that I ever charged more than 200 miles for was the one you mention - Savannah to St. Augustine. I think I charged to something like 220 rated range just in case and made it with plenty to spare. I think you can do it in a 60 if you range charge for that leg, but you might have to watch your speed. I wouldn't do it on a day with lousy weather. Also, remember Jacksonville is in the middle so you'll want to try to do it at a time with little traffic in Jacksonville as it can get bad and you don't want to be stuck in that.

I've charged at the Dadeland Mall Tesla showroom. If you call them, they will show you where their HPWC is in the back parking deck. I assume the Lincoln Road location would be willing to let you charge as well, but I'm not exactly sure where they actually have their charger. It must be somewhere in the road behind the store.

I agree that I would be worried about that leg, as I too have a 60 and will be driving it north to Mass this summer. BUT that being said, I recently took a road trip to the FL Keys and drove at 66 mph with a full charge to 196 miles. When I got to my destination that was 96 miles away I still had 96 miles left, so I would think I could make it. It is easier planning going South than North, because if you get to Jax and find you are lower than you would like (less than 90 miles) then you have quite a few places to pull off and charge, one being near the JAX airport. If you fully charge and drive around 65 mph you should the ok, the rest of the trip should be a piece of cake.