Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rural Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I live ~525 miles drive from Chicago, my nearest (future) service/dealer branch. When I take delivery of my Model S I certainly don't expect a lot of problems, but some may crop up. And, at a minimum, I'll have routine maintenance/check-ups to do (? annually).

Has anyone heard if there is a plan of some sort for dealing with folks like me when we need service? Will it be up to me to transport my car all the way up to Chicago to get a rattle checked out?

I'm honestly not "worried" about this, just sort of wondering.

I think with the volume they are discussing with the Model S, it will be necessary for Tesla Motors to partner with Mercedes. Both for distribution and service with their exisiting dealer network. It is simply not feasible for Tesla to build it all from scratch on their own.

Tesla will likely have their signature stores in the major cities. But everywhere else they need a partner.

Though looking at the US map they've got 3 stores on the west cost and 3 stores on the east coast. The single store in Chicago can't possible handly all of the in-between. I'd guess they will by the time Model S arrives have 1-3 more stores to cover the inland USA. After all they are talking about a Oslo store in 2010, Oslo has 500 000 people and that is supposed to cover Norways 4 mill, about half the size of Chicago :) Norway is also so long they need some way to outsource the support/service to have decent coverage.

Cobos

Though looking at the US map they've got 3 stores on the west cost and 3 stores on the east coast. The single store in Chicago can't possible handly all of the in-between. I'd guess they will by the time Model S arrives have 1-3 more stores to cover the inland USA. After all they are talking about a Oslo store in 2010, Oslo has 500 000 people and that is supposed to cover Norways 4 mill, about half the size of Chicago :) Norway is also so long they need some way to outsource the support/service to have decent coverage.

Cobos

I agree completely. It will either require some mobile servicemen to travel to owners to do house calls, and/or training of a certain number of techs in Mercedes dealerships so that owners not near a Tesla store can get whatever service they need dome at a local Mercedes dealership. I hope/presume that they're already thinking about this and will have this nailed down long before the S starts rolling off the assembly line.

Regarding the Model S, perhaps the network connection will allow technicians to run diagnostics on some of it's not conventional systems remotely. Maybe even provide "service" in the form of a software patch. Sounds a little scary, actually.

Sounds a little scary, actually.

It sounds like...

borg-gates-271x216.jpg

Maybe even provide "service" in the form of a software patch. Sounds a little scary, actually.

I don't know - this scheme works great on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'd totally welcome this - and the ability to remotely diagnose or monitor? That's just plain *awe*some.

I don't know - this scheme works great on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'd totally welcome this - and the ability to remotely diagnose or monitor? That's just plain *awe*some.
Large computer systems have been "phoning home" for years. OnStar will notify them if airbags deploy. I, too, would welcome a feature for the Model S to be allowed to check in occasionally - with caveats.

Microsoft Windows, as we all know, can download and install critical updates automatically. But I've been a victim of those patches going awry. So I set Windows to download the patches and then I install them when I can afford the time and inconvenience of repairing the damage. Most recently a patch conflicted with Zone Alarm and I lost my Internet connection. Imagine the grief of people who did not know they installed a patch and, without an Internet connection, had no way of knowing what went wrong! That's exactly the type of thing that could cause fatalities in a vehicle. So I think phoning home for updates should only occur to non-critical systems, we should be allowed to determine if we want it installed and when, and there should always be a way to back it off.

Back on topic - any of the suggestions listed for rural service are, of course, pure speculation. But I have to agree that Tesla Motors will have to address the issue one way or another before they attempt to sell the Model S in any quantity.

Last edited:
Agreed

Also posting performance stats on the owners forum could be a bit of fun.

OT: Given the current shake-up of dealerships and service centres, which carmakers are still closer to you than Chicago? Aren't rural areas more likely to be targeted for service centre closures as the recession continues?

I know it's not very eco, but how about a mobile service centre / workshop? i.e. a big rig.

Would they need a big rig ? Wouldn't a large van filled with specific EV testing equipment and spare parts work if they rented space at a local garage in each town? I suppose any decent size garage has the equipment to handle any car. They miss the parts for the EV specific drive-train but you can fit quite a lot into a decent size van.

Cobos

Agreed

Also posting performance stats on the owners forum could be a bit of fun.

OT: Given the current shake-up of dealerships and service centres, which carmakers are still closer to you than Chicago? Aren't rural areas more likely to be targeted for service centre closures as the recession continues?

I know it's not very eco, but how about a mobile service centre / workshop? i.e. a big rig.
Yea, there's nothing close...I hadn't heard about this "shake up", is the Chicago dept. not going to happen??

It seems that a well rigged biodiesel truck could make scheduled runs and emergency trips when needed without being terribly "dirty".
--evan

Would they need a big rig ? Wouldn't a large van filled with specific EV testing equipment and spare parts work if they rented space at a local garage in each town? I suppose any decent size garage has the equipment to handle any car. They miss the parts for the EV specific drive-train but you can fit quite a lot into a decent size van.

Cobos

I think the rig idea is more ideal.

Race teams have been doing this for years.

Drive a car into the back of the Tesla service truck (a Smith?) where a lift can raise it for new battery installation. It's weatherproof, not dependent on local shop availability and can carry a lot more parts, possibly an entire car's worth. It can even leave you with a loaner car while it works on yours.

The TST would also have hats. :smile:

The rig idea sounds like it could be in line with Tesla's willingness to explore 'out of the box' ideas... and it would be great for us rural guys. Not sure if it would work to travel <100 miles for one customer, though - it's not like the cars need regular service so what are the odds customers near you would need service at the same time?

haha yeah, TST has to have the hats!

Going on with the "scary" aspect of remote service though... if the Model S takes off, it won't be long before anarchists start with the antics... perhaps they drive by homes looking for Model S' with the wifi open or something and tap in, start your radio or heat to deplete your battery... flash your system.. disable critical functions...

It sounds "out there" but easily possible. The main reason windows gets hit with so much day in and out is because it's so widespread.

Not sure if it would work to travel <100 miles for one customer, though

Sending the rig would depend on the info supplied by the customer and the USB (or WiFi) download.

Agreed that there might also be a smaller mobile repair truck with smaller parts and software updates. It could be a small panel van, a PT Cruiser sized "van" or best yet, a Model S with seats removed and outfitted as smaller parts dept on (Electric) wheels. The skateboard could even be outfitted with a van box.

I wonder if Kyrstin Munson reads TMC? From Operation - The Tesla Roadster Buyers Guide

Don't Have a Tesla Service Center Near You? Don't Worry!!

8529600.jpg
Tesla's Nationwide Roadside Assistance program has you covered! Roadside Assistance is a 24 hour a day, 7 days per week mobile service concierge. Whether you have a flat tire, collision, or malfunction, Roadside Assistance is there when you need them most.

In driving combustion engine cars that need constant servicing, we have become so accustomed to worrying about service and use it as a deciding factor in purchasing. Because of the very few moving parts, electric cars are notoriously very low maintenance vehicles. Tesla's computer systems are wireless. If you are having any problems with your Tesla vehicle, our service engineers can remotely diagnose the problem, and in many cases, offer a wireless correction. If there is a physical problem with the vehicle, Tesla can send Roadside Assistance to pick up your car, help you make shipping arrangements, or send a vehicle technician to you!

Nearly 1/3 of Tesla Roadsters delivered across the United States are located outside of immediate service areas, so there is no need to wait for a Tesla Service Center to open up near you! You can have detailing, alignment, brakes, tire repair or replacement, windshield repair or minor body repair serviced at your local reputable service area, and Tesla will help you make arrangements for your annual check up.