Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we got our green P85, we thought our biggest complaints would be the cosmetic lack of completeness of the MS (e.g., internal storage, usb's and 12v outlets for the back seat, lighting in the trunks and other things that members of this forum have helped solve for me), as well as the lack of modern electronic safety features like blindspot detection and a Mobileye suite of safety items. However, what has turned out to annoy me the most are the crappy headrests for my passengers. I have driven a lot of people in my MS during the 1+ weeks I have had it, and everyone loves the car but the complaints about the headrests are unanimous. The back headrests only provide enough support for someone who is like 5' 6" or shorter, and my back passengers resort to slouching. The front passenger headrest evokes complaints that it should be moved forward, because when you do a tesla jackrabbit acceleration start, the snapback motion to the head rest is too far and not comfortable.

I am already annoyed enough that I have to spend money correcting some of the minor and avoidable omissions described above. I am outright pissed that Elon's minimalistic seats don't work, and I don't know how to fix those. Anyone see any after market retrofits that look decent? Any ideas from aftermarket people?

I love the car in many ways, but am on the verge of buyer's remorse. Oh, and my car disconnected my bluetooth this morning and now says I need to call the service center, after last night telling me my traction control is broken (happily, that came back to life this morning). I feel like I own a friggin' first generation Android phone.

I was initially concerned about the lack of adjustable headrests, but have found that the seats seem to suit my driving position okay. I rarely, if ever, have backseat passengers, so can't really comment there.

There are aftermarket options like Recaro, but these aren't cheap.

When we got our green P85, we thought our biggest complaints would be the cosmetic lack of completeness of the MS (e.g., internal storage, usb's and 12v outlets for the back seat, lighting in the trunks and other things that members of this forum have helped solve for me), as well as the lack of modern electronic safety features like blindspot detection and a Mobileye suite of safety items. However, what has turned out to annoy me the most are the crappy headrests for my passengers. I have driven a lot of people in my MS during the 1+ weeks I have had it, and everyone loves the car but the complaints about the headrests are unanimous. The back headrests only provide enough support for someone who is like 5' 6" or shorter, and my back passengers resort to slouching. The front passenger headrest evokes complaints that it should be moved forward, because when you do a tesla jackrabbit acceleration start, the snapback motion to the head rest is too far and not comfortable.

I am already annoyed enough that I have to spend money correcting some of the minor and avoidable omissions described above. I am outright pissed that Elon's minimalistic seats don't work, and I don't know how to fix those. Anyone see any after market retrofits that look decent? Any ideas from aftermarket people?

I love the car in many ways, but am on the verge of buyer's remorse. Oh, and my car disconnected my bluetooth this morning and now says I need to call the service center, after last night telling me my traction control is broken (happily, that came back to life this morning). I feel like I own a friggin' first generation Android phone.

Sounds like a test drive might have helped?
I find your comparison to a first gen android phone very much an exaggeration bordering on trolling.

I test drove three times. Loved it as a driver. The problem is that I never brought passengers along with me
As for your thin-skinnedness about my criticisms "bordering on trolling", I would comment back that you border on fanboyism. A check of my posts on the Tesla forum would show that I am a big supporter of the car, but not hopelessly in love with it, and actively and intelligently comparing it and its features at all times to its mainstream competition, who it will have to beat once the early adapters are finished with it their orders around the globe. For a $100K car, it simply is missing items it should have, and I can't help with the fact that the software for me, has so far been glitchy (maybe its a 5.9 problem).

At least for the front seats, I found that these elastic-strap contour pillows improve the fit:
41DD2ylYkkL._SX100_.jpg

Super Sale! Miracle Neck Rest - Memory Foam Takes The Strain and Tension Out of Travel (Color: Dark Blue)

At least for the front seats, I found that these elastic-strap contour pillows improve the fit:
41DD2ylYkkL._SX100_.jpg

Super Sale! Miracle Neck Rest - Memory Foam Takes The Strain and Tension Out of Travel (Color: Dark Blue)

thanks I actually can't stand the headrests on the MS either. I guess my seat is angled backwards to the point where my head sits forward with nothing to rest on and my neck is always killing me. I think I am going to pick one of these up as it should help with the forward head posture.

I am used to (in other cars) angling the driver's seat well back for comfort with my slightly longer arms. I was doing some posture work and realized it was actually more comfortable (and, perhaps, better for my back) to angle the seat into a more upright position. It also helps to reach "all the non-stalk controls", which, well, we all know where they are. I then found that the headrest is in a better position, i.e. more comfortable. FWIW. Re the rear seats, when we picked up the car from Vancouver and drove it home with the 6'3" and 6'5" boys in the back (better them than me!!!), I think they mentioned something about the headrests not being very good for them.

As to your question about the bluetooth - are you running 5.9? There are some issues with the initial 5.9 releases with Bluetooth where it will say something about it needing service. If you reboot the middle screen, it will resolve the issue - no need to take the car in for service (unless you want them to push the latest update that might have the fix).

I have had dozens of people in the backseat of my car (not at all once) and not one has complained about support, on the contrary when I ask if they're comfortable there's a unanimous yes from them. However, if the headrests are a deal breaker for you, perhaps an S-Class is more to your liking, it has those long detached headrests that support the taller spectrum of folks.

I have had many people in the back seat of my S and no one has complained about anything. However, as near as I can recall none of them were as tall as me (6'2") and I would not want to sit back there for an extended period of time as my car does not have the pano roof and rear headroom is limited. I have no complaints about the front seat headrests, or the seats themselves. Have done 400+ mile days in the car and I love the seats.

Last edited:
I have had many people in the back seat of my S and no one has complained about anything. However, as near as I can recall none of them were as tall as me (6'2") and I would not want to sit back there for an extended period of time. I have no complaints about the front seat headrests, or the seats themselves. Have done 400+ miles days on the car and I love the seats.
The back seat is not very comfortable for people over 6 ft, but I would not blame the head rest. It's more the limited leg room (if someone tall is in the front as well) and the limited head room.

Canuck, you are absolutely right. Fortunately, the USB and power thing for the back seat was a lot easier to solve than no head support in the back seat -- this $13 purchase (Amazon.com: BESTEK car cigarette lighter socket usb car charger Cigarette Lighter adapter dc to dc charger usb car adapter socket car splitter adapter 4 way plug socket usb outlet four way car splitter charger: Cell Phones Accessories) plus some velcro tape attached to the back of the center console. You can go more expensive by getting the upcoming Teslaccersories usb unit, but this does the trick.

I test drove three times. Loved it as a driver. The problem is that I never brought passengers along with me
As for your thin-skinnedness about my criticisms "bordering on trolling", I would comment back that you border on fanboyism. A check of my posts on the Tesla forum would show that I am a big supporter of the car, but not hopelessly in love with it, and actively and intelligently comparing it and its features at all times to its mainstream competition, who it will have to beat once the early adapters are finished with it their orders around the globe. For a $100K car, it simply is missing items it should have, and I can't help with the fact that the software for me, has so far been glitchy (maybe its a 5.9 problem).

Not thin-skinned. I can take it so feel free to dish it out. I guess you could call me a "fan boy" since I am a fan of the car and I am a male. I am also a realist. I knew what the car was before i bought it and I did not drop six figures without taking the time to know what I was getting and considering if I could live with the things that might be "missing". I would encourage the same due diligence before marrying, having kids, buying a home, etc. (You're welcome for the free and i am sure unwanted advice ;) )The way I see it, your second ever post on TMC is a pretty harsh criticism and that is where I perceived the "troll-ish" nature. No attack intended, but you have to realize that if you read your original post your are pretty strongly in the thumbs down category about your feelings on the car. Hang around and see how it's perceived when someone joins and then immediately starts with the negativity. I am not the only one who will question your true motive. I am not saying you are a troll, but I stand by my opinion that the post was trending towards trolling in its tone, even if it was not your intention.

details: Car Neck Pillow w\ pics /...

[See image in the post above. (My edit.)]
Seems to me that there might be a business opportunity here for some after market entity. Feels like it should be possible to make something that has been tailor made so to speak and that you can slip over the headrest to extend them so that they are closer to a driver/passengers neck/head. I guess something like this could also ad height to these front seat headrests. Don’t know if adding height might be desired though.

Another option could be to talk to Al & Ed’s about making a one (or two)-off. Don’t know what it would cost, but I’m guessing it should be possible to make it rather good looking. Perhaps it could even be made to look like something from Tesla.

Al & Ed's Autosound | West Hollywood, CA

Edit: On second thought, adding height to this ‘proposed’ ‘head-rest add-on’ might not be a good idea. Even though it will made by relatively soft materials like fabric and or leather and different kinds of foam – if height is added – and the product is ‘involved’ in a severe, or sufficiently severe, rear end collision I’m guessing the added height could introduce a ‘lever-function’ that could alter the position of the ‘head rest add-on’ so that the lowest part facing the neck or the back of the head could turn into a relatively hard and unforgiving edge that might inflict damage to the driver (and the passenger)…

Last edited: