Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Power Switch On party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of you may know I have just signed a contract to install a 10Kw PV system on my house in Plantation. I was thinking of christening it by holding a SE FL TMC party. They tell me it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to become active (permit approval, FPL approval etc) so I'm thinking of end of May or early June. Perhaps May 31st or June 7th? Both are Saturdays. I have a 14-50 hookup if anybody should need it. Anybody interested?

Here's an additional consideration to take into account in the timing of your party: the installation of the net meter. While the installation process and even the city inspections were smooth and predictable for us, the PV system cannot be turned on until FPL switch out the existing meter to a net meter. They have up to 30 days to do it after the application is submitted when the installation is complete. For us, it took over 2 weeks. This is not an installation that you can schedule. The technician simply shows up one day and switch out the new meter. Hope this helps. Good luck and congratulations.

Here's an additional consideration to take into account in the timing of your party: the installation of the net meter. While the installation process and even the city inspections were smooth and predictable for us, the PV system cannot be turned on until FPL switch out the existing meter to a net meter. They have up to 30 days to do it after the application is submitted when the installation is complete. For us, it took over 2 weeks. This is not an installation that you can schedule. The technician simply shows up one day and switch out the new meter. Hope this helps. Good luck and congratulations.

Yeah, the company have mentioned this. They said it usually takes a couple of weeks for FPL to come out and swap out the meters. A guy from the contractor I'm using stopped by today to measure up my roof and we decided where to place the inverters (inside garage wall). The plans have been drawn up and the permit(s) application will be next.

It's begun! After some unexpected delays, installation begins today :smile:
10365943_10203192288420790_9214848339064167340_n.jpg

Updated pics??

Here's the inverter system installed. 2x SMA's with 120v emergency power outlets. They come back tomorrow to fit the roof racking system then Thursday to fit the panels. Plantation unfortunately requires intermediate inspections which is why the delay in completion but it should all be done in time for the party on Saturday. I'll have a panel on display for close up personal inspection which they are loaning me.

IMG_20140529_173339.jpg

So was there any discussion of having an external disconnect like you would have with your grid power? In case of fire, the FD usually pulls the exterior disconnect to prevent anyone from getting shocked if they wind up cutting through walls inside the building to put out a fire. In a discussion with a fire chief friend he said it would be a good idea to put a solar system disconnect right next to the grid one, but as far as he knew nothing was required.

In Florida a disconnect is required within visible proximity of the grid disconnect and the meter must be clearly marked to show there is on-site power generation.
1.JPG

Separately, if you have solar panels on a free-standing, non-dwelling structure you are required to have a shunt disconnect alongside the building's breaker panel. We have some of our panels on our stable roof and this was a requirement, although I'm not sure whether is it state or county code or was just made up by the inspector (our contractor had never heard of that before):
2.JPG

Last edited: