Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Connect and the non-Tesla obsessed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woof

Fluffy Member
Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2009
I've signed up for TMC Connect, and am trying to convince my wife to join me. While she is the daily driver of the Model S, she isn't nearly as obsessed with Tesla and EVs as I.

I figured a trip to California would be fun for her as well...but she isn't on board yet.

So what (non-Tesla, non-EV) things can we consider for a few days around TMC Connect? I was thinking of flying in to San Francisco or San Jose a few days early, and working our way down towards Monterey doing touristy things. We aren't golf or wine fans, so those are out.

Suggestions?

While my wife is accompanying me for the event, she is also not particularly Tesla obsessed either. She sees this as a weekend hanging out in Monterey. So depending on what she likes to do, there is everything from shopping, hiking, kayaking, SCUBA, spa treatments or just hanging out. What does she like to do?

O

I've signed up for TMC Connect, and am trying to convince my wife to join me. While she is the daily driver of the Model S, she isn't nearly as obsessed with Tesla and EVs as I.

I figured a trip to California would be fun for her as well...but she isn't on board yet.

So what (non-Tesla, non-EV) things can we consider for a few days around TMC Connect? I was thinking of flying in to San Francisco or San Jose a few days early, and working our way down towards Monterey doing touristy things. We aren't golf or wine fans, so those are out.

Suggestions?
My wife and kids are considering to join me as well. They definitely will NOT drive to Monterey with me, but they might fly into San Jose... we'll see.
Monterey is a beautiful town full of family entertainment options. So I'm not too worried about them getting bored on a weekend. The Aquarium is fantastic, as is the Museum of Art.

I lived in Monterey years ago. You will definitely want to find time to see the Monterey Bay aquarium. It is one of the best in the world. Also, there is 17 mile drive which has some beautiful scenery. A trip to Big Sur or Capitola or Carmel. In Carmel you can eat at Clint Eastwoods restaurant, I think it's called the Boar's head (if I remember correctly). Almost forget you might even be able to go out whale watching, though I'm not sure if it would be the right time of year. I've gone a couple of times to see grey whales, also so dolphins on those trips.

Obviously there are a number of things to do and see in San Francisco. The redwoods of Muir Forest, Alcatraz, trollies.

I'm sure you can find something of interest for the non-Tesla enthusiasts.

There are many things to do depending on your tastes from incredible hiking and scenery to food and shopping. They won't be bored in any way shape or form. As Liz said the Aquarium is a must see 4-6 hours to get through most of it. Also San Francisco is 21/2 hours north on Hwy 1-a spectacular drive.

Thanks for all the input. For me the aquarium would be great, but she thinks fish are darn ugly and creepy. Food is always a good choice, but not too fancy. Once we got off a cruise ship in Juno Alaska and went straight to the local Subway for a simple tuna sub...and a diet coke. Seems the ship was "pepsi only" and we didn't think to ask before hand. Everyone else was carrying off duty free booze, we carried on a case of diet coke!

Thanks for all the input. For me the aquarium would be great, but she thinks fish are darn ugly and creepy. Food is always a good choice, but not too fancy. Once we got off a cruise ship in Juno Alaska and went straight to the local Subway for a simple tuna sub...and a diet coke. Seems the ship was "pepsi only" and we didn't think to ask before hand. Everyone else was carrying off duty free booze, we carried on a case of diet coke!

You definitely have to check out the sea otters then - from Monterey go north on highway 1 to Moss Landing (about 20 minutes). Rent a kayak and check out the Elkhorn Slough - that's where all of them breed and hang out.
Tours: Elkhorn Slough Tours - Kayak Connection

You'll see some in the kelp beds in Monterey but not as many as are in the slough (with their babies).