Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK home charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I placed my reservation back in 2009 so I'll be one of the first Model S in the UK, delivery expected early June. I have specced 22 kW dual chargers (future proofing).

I've been told the only options available to UK owners (for now) is the blue 230V/32A (IEC 60309) single-phase outlet or the red 400V/16A (IEC 60309) three-phase outlet... The High Power Wall Connector won't be available in the UK or Europe anytime soon.

My house has a three-phase supply from the street so I could go with either option.. although I believe they'll both charge at the same rate.

I understand there may be a third option.. a type 2 from Chargemaster? Free Homecharge Offer

Anyone else explored the options?

Chargemaster are not too quick in responding, I filled out the form on their website a week ago still no contact, there are many other places you can get a free charging point from in the uK, however only the 16amp versions are free. Most charge an additional £95 to upgrade to 32amp

Hi,

I've been told the only options available to UK owners (for now) is the blue 230V/32A (IEC 60309) single-phase outlet or the red 400V/16A (IEC 60309) three-phase outlet... The High Power Wall Connector won't be available in the UK or Europe anytime soon.

That's what Tesla supply, but you've no obligation to use the Tesla-supplied kit. Indeed I would argue that for the UK, using the UMC that comes with the car as your daily charging option is hardly ever sensible (though of course it's a handy thing to have to hand for charging away from home) - see below.

My house has a three-phase supply from the street so I could go with either option.. although I believe they'll both charge at the same rate.

I don't believe they will charge at the same rate. Certainly 400V 3-phase 16A (which is equivalent to 3 separate 230V 16A single phase) is 11kW, while 32A single phase is 32*230 = 7.4kW

There is the issue that european Model S have currently got their charging rates reduced to 2/3 of what they should be, awaiting a modification to fix this - but hopefully the UK cars will already have this fixed.

I understand there may be a third option.. a type 2 from Chargemaster? Free Homecharge Offer

Certainly for the vast majority of us with only single-phase available, the heavily-subsidised standard chargepoints from Chargemaster (and others offering similar deals) are a no-brainer. You aren't going to get anything faster on a single phase domestic supply, since the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation says "In domestic premises, the demand from the electric vehicle charging equipment installation must not exceed 32A unless particular arrangements have been made with the electricity supplier", and in comparison with using the Tesla-supplied UMC with a 32A commando socket, this gives you a much neater installation - safer because it's more robust, more waterproof, and doesn't have wear from you unplugging the UMC to take away with you on trips - all for less than the cost of installing a commando socket in the first place. The one disadvantage compared to the UMC of not having a button to open the chargeport door can be solved by buying one of these (admittedly, I don't yet have my car to give you a first-hand recommendation that they work).

However, since you are lucky enough to have 3-phase available, it would be a shame not to use it. One option is to use the Tesla UMC with a red commando socket, but this won't give you the benefit of your twin chargers. There are 3rd-party 3-phase EVSE available - here's one picked at random, not a recommendation: http://www.ev-box.com/en/products/subproduct/wall-model/96-wall-model-push-button-b3321-0010

Probably worth having a word with some of the suppliers on the government scheme to see if they have a 3-phase option. Unfortunately, most of the devices on the approved list appear to be only single-phase.
See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-chargepoint-grant-accredited-list-of-chargepoints

Otherwise it's a matter of getting hold of a 3-phase EVSE (likely from mainland Europe where 3-phase is more common) and paying the install cost yourself.

Chargemaster are not too quick in responding, I filled out the form on their website a week ago still no contact, there are many other places you can get a free charging point from in the uK, however only the 16amp versions are free. Most charge an additional £95 to upgrade to 32amp

I found them very quick - phoned me back within 5 mins of filling the form on the website, and unit installed inside a week. Perhaps you need to give them a bell....

Last edited:
Wow @arg.. thanks for the amazing amount of information. Getting a 3-phase 22 kW like the one you linked should be my target, I haven't had a site survey yet but here's what's on the wall in my cellar (which is adjacent to the garage), I believe currently only two phases are in use (the two meters are currently split upstairs / ground floor). I'm not an electrician but this is a 3-phase supply, right?

070407-125149-IMG_2330.jpg

I'm not an electrician but this is a 3-phase supply, right?

You've certainly got 3-phase coming in there, but unfortunately you have two separate single-phase meters instead of a single 3-phase meter, so from the electricity supply company's point of view they have a 3-phase feeder into the building but you have two separate single-phase supplies - you can't actually make use of that 3-phase without involving the supply company to either replace the two meters with a single 3-phase meter, or possibly add yet another meter for the supply to the car.

That ought to be cheap, but I've no experience of asking quite that question to know what they will come up with.

Having sorted that out, it should then be an easy job for your electrician to install the EVSE.

You've certainly got 3-phase coming in there, but unfortunately you have two separate single-phase meters instead of a single 3-phase meter, so from the electricity supply company's point of view they have a 3-phase feeder into the building but you have two separate single-phase supplies - you can't actually make use of that 3-phase without involving the supply company to either replace the two meters with a single 3-phase meter, or possibly add yet another meter for the supply to the car.

That ought to be cheap, but I've no experience of asking quite that question to know what they will come up with.

Having sorted that out, it should then be an easy job for your electrician to install the EVSE.

Yeah I guessed that may be the case... need to speak to Southern Electric I think.

I have a Chargemaster 32A "Polar" Homecharge point on an outside wall by my driveway to charge my Zoe. It works fine, but clearly at 7kW will take a while to charge the Model S. I plan on keeping the Model S overnight in my garage and during a recent house extension took the precaution of running two seperate 32A cables to the garage. Of course, with an 80A feed into the house, using 64A to charge the Model S would not leave much else for the house! But I'm hoping \i've future-prrofed as much as possible. I've also specced the twin charges in the Model S.

I understand that the optional Tesla type 2 cable has the port open button on it - that would be your best bet (or go for a tethered charger from Chargemaster/Polar and open the port manually).

You can buy a 22kW Type 2 Charging Station from nuWorld Energy in the UK for 699 (GBP) + VAT or New Electric in Amsterdam for 849 (Euros) + VAT.

These products use the same technology as the 500+ Zero Carbon World Charging Station donations and many thousands of those sold by third parties under the UK Government grant.

Aggressively priced 7kW and 22kW Type 2 cables are also available from the same resellers. These are the same cables that were sold under the Zero Carbon World brand, manufactured by ITT.

You can buy a 22kW Type 2 Charging Station from nuWorld Energy in the UK for 699 (GBP) + VAT or New Electric in Amsterdam for 849 (Euros) + VAT.

These products use the same technology as the 500+ Zero Carbon World Charging Station donations and many thousands of those sold by third parties under the UK Government grant.

Aggressively priced 7kW and 22kW Type 2 cables are also available from the same resellers. These are the same cables that were sold under the Zero Carbon World brand, manufactured by ITT.

Thanks Kevin! These look good, combined with the Tesla type 2 cable I think I'd be set.

If you can get your electricity supply company to fix so you have a proper 3-phase, my recomendation is just to go with a red 400V/16A (IEC 60309) outlet. Should be much cheaper than any other solution and you would get 11 KW charging.
Just make sure the power into your house is enough to support continuous 16A on three phases in addition to what you already use in your house.
If you get any kind of single phase solution on 32A, you must make sure of that same thing but that the incoming power on that phase is enough to support continuous 32A in addition to what it's already used for.

@matbl surely the incoming current supply should be far, far more than 3 x 16A ???

Hard for me to know how it generally is in the UK, this seems to differ greatly from country to country.
The main fuses in my house in sweden are 25A. They can probably be changed to higher though...

Also, I said that they need to be able to handle an additional load of 3x16A in addition to what's already used. So if you're peaking at for example 25A on one of the phases today, it must be able to handle 41A peak if you add the 16A. Since your load probably isn't even, you must look at the peak load for the highest loaded phase.
Or just take your chances...

Hard for me to know how it generally is in the UK, this seems to differ greatly from country to country.
The main fuses in my house in sweden are 25A. They can probably be changed to higher though...

Yes, and there's even regional variations within countries. However, in general the UK uses single phase for smaller installations - I've never seen a 3-phase supply as small as 25A here.

Most ordinary houses have single phase, except if the house is unusually large or it was built with electric storage heating in mind (fashionable in the '60s).

In general for new installations the options go something like:

60A single phase
100A single phase
3 x 60A three phase
3 x 100A three phase
3 x 200A three phase

Also, for the smaller connections (at least in the south east) policy now is to provide cable and service cutout for 100A always, putting in a smaller fuse if you've asked for a smaller capacity, hence upgrade to 100A is just a case of getting the fuse changed (and the DNO updating their calculations about whether the substation etc. is adequate).

However, for older installations there's all sorts of strange stuff out there.

Also, I said that they need to be able to handle an additional load of 3x16A in addition to what's already used. So if you're peaking at for example 25A on one of the phases today, it must be able to handle 41A peak if you add the 16A. Since your load probably isn't even, you must look at the peak load for the highest loaded phase.
Or just take your chances...

Very true, but whatever the rating of the OP's installation, he is going to have more headroom for charging by getting the upgrade to 3-phase than trying to squeeze a single-phase EVSE onto one of his existing meters.

Yes, and there's even regional variations within countries. However, in general the UK uses single phase for smaller installations - I've never seen a 3-phase supply as small as 25A here.

Most ordinary houses have single phase, except if the house is unusually large or it was built with electric storage heating in mind (fashionable in the '60s).

In general for new installations the options go something like:

60A single phase
100A single phase
3 x 60A three phase
3 x 100A three phase
3 x 200A three phase

Also, for the smaller connections (at least in the south east) policy now is to provide cable and service cutout for 100A always, putting in a smaller fuse if you've asked for a smaller capacity, hence upgrade to 100A is just a case of getting the fuse changed (and the DNO updating their calculations about whether the substation etc. is adequate).

However, for older installations there's all sorts of strange stuff out there.

Very true, but whatever the rating of the OP's installation, he is going to have more headroom for charging by getting the upgrade to 3-phase than trying to squeeze a single-phase EVSE onto one of his existing meters.

3x200A ? That's A LOT!

Anyway. I totally agree, the OP should explore upgrading to proper 3-phase as the first option.

3x200A ? That's A LOT!

Anyway. I totally agree, the OP should explore upgrading to proper 3-phase as the first option.

Thanks for all the responses, that's exactly what I'm intending to do, replace the two existing meters with one three phase and having a three phase supply to the garage for a type-2 22kw charger. Will update this thread with progress.

PS. The house is an 1880's Victorian Villa, 4500 sqft, no idea when the 3-phase was installed but it looks OLD.

Thanks for all the responses, that's exactly what I'm intending to do, replace the two existing meters with one three phase and having a three phase supply to the garage for a type-2 22kw charger. Will update this thread with progress.

PS. The house is an 1880's Victorian Villa, 4500 sqft, no idea when the 3-phase was installed but it looks OLD.
Sounds like a nice house. :)
But I suggest you consider a standard red 3x16A outlet as well. It will charge your car slower yes, but how often do you need to get from empty to full in less than 9 hours at home?
But then again, judging from your house size, its location and you car spec, maybe the price of the charge station doesn't really matter that much... ;)

Cabe is £500, which is somewhat silly. I like the link provided by arg for a mini remote for €24....just attached that to your charge master £95 32A install WITH Type 2 cable...

I understand that the optional Tesla type 2 cable has the port open button on it - that would be your best bet (or go for a tethered charger from Chargemaster/Polar and open the port manually).