Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird static sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw some similar complaints in old posts, but no answers.

Anyone experience a rare yet intermittent buzz/static sound seems to be from under the dash, specifically near the speedometer.

Sounds like a soft bee hive. Can't seem to reproduce it. Had car 3 weeks, happened maybe 4-5 times.

When took car in for unrelated issue (moisture in taillights) still needs fixing, I also mentioned this. Because they couldn't reproduce it, they couldn't fix it.

The usual questions would be:

Was the climate control on?

Were you using the audio system and if so, what source (BT, USB, Slacker, etc.)

What was the temperature?

Wipers, turn signal, or anything else on?

Next time it happens, make a note of every environmental factor you can think of. Also be aware that because of all the glass in the car, sounds can appear to come from a place that is very different than the real source of the sound. So if there is a passenger in the car when the sound happens, ask them where they think it comes from.

Saw some similar complaints in old posts, but no answers.

Anyone experience a rare yet intermittent buzz/static sound seems to be from under the dash, specifically near the speedometer.

Sounds like a soft bee hive. Can't seem to reproduce it. Had car 3 weeks, happened maybe 4-5 times.

When took car in for unrelated issue (moisture in taillights) still needs fixing, I also mentioned this. Because they couldn't reproduce it, they couldn't fix it.

Where do you put your mobile phone when in the car? Or do you have a 3g tablet somewhere near the console? Most mobile phones will cause audio noise like you described when they are in close proximity to speaker wires or unshielded audio amplifier circuitry.

@captainzap is right it's interference with either phones or tablets. If you keep your phone and or tablet or both in there glove box it will keep the noise from happening. I've had my car into service here locally for the noise. They've torn the he dash apart. They taken the speaker out checked the wires etc and they were even able to reproduce the sound and it did in fact come from interference from the cell phones and or tablets that were inside the car. The good side is that they were able to replicating while the care was there. The down side is that there is not anything at this time that they can do too make it go away. They are working on some shielding to stop this but they aren't sure when it will be available.

I use to have that wierd static sound, and the SC could never fix it since it wasn't happening when they had the car.
Ever since I got rid of my really old cell phone, I haven't had the problem. So I believe it is blue tooth related, and age of cellphone related.
Currently I keep my cell phone loose in the center area of the car. I'll remember the glovebox trick if it happens again.

Maybe the "balloon leaking squeal" sound you get when you floor the speed pedal?

That could sound like bees to some. My car produces this noise when pressing hard. Like more than 200kW to the motor. Think of it as equivalent to turbo whine on ICE car.

Yes it sounds electrical to me too, like a ground issue on the speaker or something. It happened yesterday and I paused the audio and coasted and it was like something you'd hear from a plasma ball. zzzzzappppp bzzzzzzzzz hard to type it. It's quiet but it's there sometimes.

I'll have to experiment with that next time I hear the noise. But it's funny that the only place they provide to put your phone isn't a good place to put your phone. If only they have put a little bit of storage under those armrests...

I'll have to experiment with that next time I hear the noise. But it's funny that the only place they provide to put your phone isn't a good place to put your phone. If only they have put a little bit of storage under those armrests...

If you look at the center console that is for sale in the accessories store, the phone cradle is positioned far forward of the cubby. The interference can also be heard if you place the phone next to any unshielded speaker or headphone cable. I believe the issue is lack of proper shielding in the Model S audio system. Also, the interference is not constant. It only occurs when your phone accesses the cellular side, like when it's pulling emails or otherwise accessing data.

Interestingly I ran into this issue while sitting in the garage going through the controls on our 2 days old MS. After reading what some of you posted regarding cell phone interference it makes total sense. I had my iPhone in my left pocket which may have been the culprit. Will need to experiment with this next time it happens.

I've heard this sound (or what I think is this sound) a dozen or so times. I don't keep my phone in the cubby. It sounds to me like some kind of feedback coming from the driver's side front speaker. I have noticed it once when music was playing softly, but I usually hear it when the sound is off.