Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad: Galaxy S5 run over by Tesla Model S and Survives!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out my video in which the unreleased Galaxy S5 is run over by the Tesla Model S and survives!

Galaxy versus Tesla math, for those who are interested:
4,647.3 lbs (curb weight of Tesla) x 0.48 (distribution %) / 2 tires / 15.9 (surface area of Galaxy S5), repeated for back 52% distribution, not including speed or impact points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any phone that can stand up to around 50 psi load will survive. The weight of the vehicle means nothing, it's the pressure in the tires that determine how hard the car presses down.

Any phone that can stand up to around 50 psi load will survive. The weight of the vehicle means nothing, it's the pressure in the tires that determine how hard the car presses down.

For some reason, this doesn't seem right. An 80,000 lb semi with 18 tires gives you over 4000 lb per tire on average. Of course, the tire is pumped to, lets say, 80 lb. The higher the pressure, the smaller the contact spot, but only to a point. So if you decrease the pressure to 70 lb, on the pretend semi, the contact spot would increase maybe a couple square inches, but you're still talking near 4000 lb. per tire on average. This weight is divided by number of square inches of contact, so the weight per square inch is about the same at 70 or 80 lb psi.

On my MS, my tires are at 50 lb. The contact spot hardly varies at all at 40 lb: You cannot tell by looking at the tires which one is ten pounds lower. The weight of the car divided by 4 would be about 1200 lb per tire, at 50 lb, or at 40 lb.

A woman's high heel puts her entire 100 lb (yeah, right, as Batman would say) on a tenth of a square inch, or nearly a thousand pounds per square inch. If she has hard rubber heel tip, or a tap dancer's metal plate on the bottom of the heel, it's still the same. Harder or softer, 1000 lb per.

It seems to me that what matters is pounds per square inch on the ground, not pounds per square inch of tire pressure. If you pump up a tire to 50 lb, off the car, then put it on the car and take pressure readings, it is still at 50 lb! And it now has 1000 lb of car sitting on the ground, spread out to be sure, but still a lot more than a tire sitting on your foot with no car on it, and the pressure the same.

I can hardly wait for all you engineering types to give me complete formulae and explanations. But I'd rather have a semi tire on my chest *without* the semi bolted to it, than with it weighing 4000 lb! I expect the phone would agree with me.

Last edited:
It may not make sense, but it's actually true. Think about someone stepping on your foot with spiked high heels.

You are assuming the weight of the tesla is the same as the bicycle . The footprint of the tires relative to the overall weight determines the amount of psi on the ground. That is why tracks can work well in snow. The real large area of the tracks spreads out those and creates a much lower psi on the ground.

You are assuming the weight of the tesla is the same as the bicycle . The footprint of the tires relative to the overall weight determines the amount of psi on the ground. That is why tracks can work well in snow. The real large area of the tracks spreads out those and creates a much lower psi on the ground.

The footprint on the ground is determined by the tire pressure and the load--if you have 1200 lbs and the tire pressure is 45 psi the contact area is 26 sq.in (Tesla). If you have a 75 lbs load and the tire pressure is 110 the contact area is 0.68 sq. in. (bicycle). There is a lot more crushing force at 110 psi then there is at 45 psi because the force is concentrated in a small area. When the car runs over the phone, the weight is spread out and not all of it is on a phone (The phone would fare even better if it was run over by an earthmover). It also helps that the phone is thin.

PSI is irrelevant on tracked vehicles because there isn't any, the contact area is just the area of the tracks on the ground. And yes, the footprint is much larger on a tracked vehicle much larger.

My GS4 fell out of my pocket while I was laying down and I must have pressed on it because the internal OLED screen was cracked, costing me about $300 to repair. Neither the plastic back, nor the gorilla glass front showed any damage. A test like this says very little about either the phone or the car.

Does the OP work for Samsung? It's an unreleased phone and the majority of the video (that I could bear to watch) is about the phone ...

------ update

Never mind. He has a channel on youtube and this just drives up views (and ad revenue).

Last edited: