Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning my charging location. I have a 50 amp circuit with a wall plug in my garage. Here are my choices:

1. Hang UMC from plug and coil the cord on the Tesla cord organizer.

2. Plug in UMC and locate the brick on a shelf and coil the cord on the Tesla cord organizer.

Thanks to the local electric safety authority's silly rules, my electrician provided me with a handy cable holder.

IMG_2697.JPG

It's not actually useful for any other purpose. Including electrical safety.

Isn't there a 3rd option: HPWC

I know it's more expensive then a UMC, but it's a lot safer then a UMC.

A NEMA-14-50 socket will wear out over time due to unplugging. With 40A going over that connector for hours at a time that's not a safe solution.

I'd advise you to seriously think about a HPWC. It's hardwired to you garage's wiring and can also be set to 40A.

Safety first imho. Can't put a pricetag on safety.

The primary difference between the two options being that you can place the UMC brick on a shelf?

I'd suggest removing the weight load from the UMC plug head is a good idea... I've written here before that I've never cared for letting the brick dangle form the end of the rather long plug/adapter assembly.

(Incidentally, I agree with the poster who suggests the HPWC is a superior solution.. for several reasons. While it does cost more... it also allows you to keep your UMC in the car where it's always with you.. something I think is smart thinking while we are in the early ages of public charging infrastructure....)

Planning my charging location. I have a 50 amp circuit with a wall plug in my garage. Here are my choices:

1. Hang UMC from plug and coil the cord on the Tesla cord organizer.

2. Plug in UMC and locate the brick on a shelf and coil the cord on the Tesla cord organizer.

Here is something I have made and printed out on my 3d printer. Works pretty good and a few other members have bought them from me. If you are interested send me a PM.

IMG_20140304_175555.jpg
IMG_20140306_171903.jpg

I went the really cheap and yet effective way...
Buy two Blue Hawk Metal Utility Racks.
Set your charger on one of them and loop the cable over the other.
12 dollars, even includes the screws to mount it :)
The charger fit is perfect. It sits there very nicely secured without being squeezed of being hard to remove. It's like it's taylor made for the UMC...
And no tension or strain on the cable or plug.
IMG_20140406_105512-picsay.jpg

IMG_20140406_105642-picsay.jpg

Out of curiosity, about long does it take to print out something like that and about how much money in materials does it cost?

Depends on a few factors like infill and head speed. I have a delta style printer which is faster than a Cartesian style. I don't remember exactly how long it took the last time I printed one, but probably an hour or so.

The issue I have with that setup is that the charger is hanging on the plug - which Tesla explicitly warns you not to do...

In the ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf the very first picture shows the GFI box being held by the plug. What the guides warns you not to do is have the plug not flush with the wall socket (inserted at an angle so the weight is pressing upwards on the socket internals).

I don't see a problem with MarkB1's setup.

The issue I have with that setup is that the charger is hanging on the plug - which Tesla explicitly warns you not to do...
I don't think Tesla's directions and diagrams are very clear.

I agree to set up configuration is hazardous because the weight of the cord and module is putting excessive stress on the adapter and wall outlet.

In my opinion:

Chet & markb1 configuration as dangerous because the weight of the module, cord and operator force would be applied to the adapter and the wall outlet. Which can cause the adapter and wall outlet to fail and could cause an electrical fire

rlang59 & dirkhh configurations are good improvements because it helps relieve the excessive force of the cord, module and handling from being applied to the adapter and wall outlet. I think their configurations have reduced the risk of a fire.