Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detroit News article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I can't believe this article detnews.com | The Detroit News | Manny Lopez |

I found this after reading the Autobloggreen.com article that discusses it. I mean I can kind of understand that someone may have an opinion like this but he did very little research for a reporter such as saying
"Tesla has reportedly sold a few hundred Roadsters and with a price tag of $80,000 (reduced from $109,000 coincidentally just before the loans were announced) most of us will never get behind the wheel of one. "

Where did he get the $80,000? I assume he skimmed some article saying Tesla had reduced their cost to build the roadster from $140,000 to $80,000.
I liked the line about him complaining about "But that's not how our dollars should be spent, propping up millionaires and billionaires, who, unlike their Detroit CEO brethren, fly in private planes when they're not toying around town in their electric cars." Like the Big 3 CEOs have never flown on private jets before.
I sent him an e-mail pointing this out. We'll see if he responds.

Ooooooooouch!! I paid FULL money for mine :confused:

Did anybody get one for 80k? or is this just another case of paparazzi with half baked research?

I think we should award this paparazzi the " Richard Cranium " AWARD for not doing his research. Anyone out the second this motion?

LOL, yeah, I second that motion. Manny Lopez couldn't even get the loan amount right. He said $425 million instead of $465 million. :biggrin:

Wow. Nice pick up. In the e-mail I sent him, I didn't even pick that up. In his extensive research for the article, he obviously saw the number $80,000 (what Tesla is reporting it costs Tesla Motors to build the car) and thought that's what Tesla magically dropped the price to a few weeks ago to secure the loan. How he made this up, I have no idea.

This guy is a great reporter. Must have gotten my e-mail or other e-mails about how his reporting sucked. The online article now makes no mention to the price magically dropping to $80,000 right before the loan was given. The article also makes no mention to the correction, like it never happened. That's bad journalism.

This guy is a great reporter. Must have gotten my e-mail or other e-mails about how his reporting sucked. The online article now makes no mention to the price magically dropping to $80,000 right before the loan was given. The article also makes no mention to the correction, like it never happened. That's bad journalism.
I agree. Manny must get confused about the roles of the editor and the readers...

I e-mailed the managing editor there and got a quick reply. I basically said while I disagree with the article's points, I thought the removal of the fabricated (or at best sloppy googling/reporting) without clarification was not good. He said there are reviewing their policy about this and the "corrected" article that appears online now, is what will appear in print tomorrow.

Dave