Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Week Assessment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes...another "it's been one week" type post but as I was debating ordering then waiting through the delivery period I found these posts informative and entertaining. Hopefully my feedback can help someone else make some decisions:

Details on car: see signature

The things just lives up to all expectations...and then blows them away. I actually found myself with a lot of self-doubt and nervousness as delivery approached. No more. Absolutely love the car. Let's do a simple high/lowlights

Highlights (in no particular order)
- Everything about the driving experience...let's just lump the "normal" stuff in there...I'll try to hit on some specific items below
- I waffled on the "P" (see signature). So glad I got it. I'm sure I would have been so happy with the S, but now I'm not left wondering! And the kids love "the roller coaster launch." Interestingly out of anything on the car I've gotten the most comments about the red brake calipers! They really make an impression.
- Speaking of kids...rear facing seats are awesome. I have 3 kids ages 9, 6, and 3. This was the first weekend in YEARS that we haven't had to drive the Sequoia. It was amazing. Not an ounce of gas burned all weekend and we shuttled the entire family of 5 (and even dropped off the babysitter making 6) with ZERO issues. Incredible.
- My old BMW's bluetooth was HORRIBLE. This has been awesome. ZERO problems. Siri works great. And I've even found the Tesla voice recognition for Slacker and Nav to work great.
- Speaking of Slacker...between that and the UFS I have listened to more music in the past week than I have in the last 3 years. Awesome. I was traditionally a sports talk and news radio guy on the commute. This past week I was about 60% music!
- It's fun being an ambassador. Three neighbors have already gone for rides. In the next 6 work days, I have 5 "Tesla Lunches" scheduled with various people. If I rolled up in a $100K luxury sedan people would say "that's nice" and move on. With this thing, people just can't get enough. It's fun to teach them about it!
- Didn't get to see Gray Interior with Obeche Matte before taking delivery...but LOVE it. I like the flat textured look of the matte.
- Was thinking I was going to want the Center Console. Nope! Really enjoying the open space. Forces me to not junk up the car too!
- I've used the air suspension a ton while parking. Very nice. Hope to get 5.9 soon.
- Didn't originally order the lighting upgrade but added a the last moment (thought would be nice for kids in back). Surprisingly while taking a neighbor for a test drive he specifically called them out and said he liked the lighting accents. Not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination (and too expensive) but I'm happy with it.

Lowlights
- The radio reception sucks...bad. Basically unlistenable. As a guy who used to listen to his radio every day driving to work, this is unlistenable. Thank goodness for TuneIn...I literally listen to any and all stations over the data connection through TuneIn now. Which, while working, is a bit of a bummer because some local content like commercials don't play. Not that I like commercials, but every once in awhile you hear something valuable. Not with TuneIn.
- Found my first major finish issue tonight. The chrome trim on the back driver's side just after the rear door is "unstuck" and sticking out. Really hard to see, but included a picture below to try and show it.
- Perhaps I'm being too picky, but the finish along the top of my center console screen is not even. On the right side, the dash finish is flush with the top of the screen. The screen visually stops at the dash. On the left there is a bit of space, so the screen ends, I see black screen, then the dash.
- Radio crashed hard on the drive home yesterday. Had to reboot while driving (after googling whether or not you could do that!). Still on 5.8 BTW.
- Climate control is inconsistent. Always warmer than I'd like (despite temp set at 66)...and I'm in the PNW...not Florida or anything!
- Two rattles (one in dash, one up by the pano) reared their heads yesterday. Didn't hear them today. Will keep an eye on that.

At the end of the day, despite the small issues...the entire experience has been incredible. Thanks Tesla and thank YOU to TMC.

I'm hoping to get some good outside pics, but the weather and/or my schedule haven't cooperated!

image (1).jpeg

The temp stays on the warmer side in mine too with the "eco" setting ON. Check your settings, turn the eco setting off, and it should hold the temp you want without issue.

As for the rattles and trim strip issue, contact your local SC and they'll fix them for ya.

The temp stays on the warmer side in mine too with the "eco" setting ON. Check your settings, turn the eco setting off, and it should hold the temp you want without issue.

As for the rattles and trim strip issue, contact your local SC and they'll fix them for ya.

Can you clarify this "Eco" setting? Are you talking about range mode? If so, I already have that off...

Eco is when range mode is on. Are you circulating air from the inside of the car or the outside? I know that when I circulate from the inside it's much warmer inside the car than when I pull it from the outside at the same temp setting. I've never so far anyway set my temp below 68 in my car. I do have the sunshade installed for the kids in her he back so not sure if that makes a difference or not? Probably not.

The bellevue service center is great about fixing things they just replaced all my bright work on the drivers side because I had water leaking in the small drivers side window and I'm waiting for a new headliner to come in and that will also be replaced. They are absolutely fantastic there. Also if you swing by they will upload 5.9 for you in about 5 minutes.(you can install later whenever you want or aren't driving your car for about an hour) Which in my opinion if you want to utilize lowering so so so worth it!

ps....good seeing you last weekend!! My son shouted That's...(your daughter in his class) dad!!! Do the wink!!!!

One more highlight: Got an email from my Tesla service center today asking about the concerns I posted online and wanting me to come in so they can address them. Amazing. Awesome service.

Thanks Tesla HQ (since I know you're reading ;-)!!!!

Got my car back from service today. Couldn't give back that Ford Mustang from Enterprise fast enough! A quick update:

- Chrome trim "brightwork" is fixed
- Firmware updated to 5.9
- Straightened the top of my dash so it is even with the screen
- I had them check the temp in the car as it seemed odd to me that I had to keep my temp on 65/66 on a normal basis. They tested and said it is operating as it should. It was mentioned that I was far from the first to ask about this and they continue to forward the inquiries onto engineering at HQ
- Checked radio reception...was told it was normal (unfortunately) and that I should listen to AM through TuneIn. Again, not the first person to complain about this.

So happy to have my car back and the most important item (trim) is fixed. Tesla service is first class. Yes, the temp and radio reception are annoying (you'd think a $100K car could get AM reception) but I quickly forget those once I start driving! And, in reality, TuneIn has been working well for me.