Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Option Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you now have the entire range of possible answers. :smile:

Reasons for "no" are Weight, $$$$$, and the fact that it's on the Model S platform which, for now is 60 & 85 kWh - only.

But . . . the only constant is change. You know that new battery developments are coming, so . . .

Yes, 110 or other larger battery than the current 85, but no it will not get 325 miles or rated range. It also might not be available at launch. I am thinking they need to get the battery cost down unless the model X is going to start at six figures.

Do you think tesla will announce the 110kw battery for model x which will give it 325 miles???

My guess is yes for the "Performance" Model X as an option, since they have a higher margin on the battery upgrades, correct? I believe that's why they quote a shorter delivery time for the Model S Performance, yes? Whenever it does happen I think they will announce the option for the Model S, also, at the same time, since the basic platform is shared. What is the estimated EPA range of a Model S with a 110kw battery?

Patiently waiting... (Actually, to be honest, I refresh the "Model X" main page here on more than a daily basis!!!)

Yes because a larger battery will probably be necessary to maintain range parity with Model S. I think the market would react poorly to any significant range reduction. Tesla has instilled an expectation that EVs, and especially Tesla EVs, will improve over time. And Model S will be over 2 years old. There's no room to be taking a step back, imho.

I don't think they will add a larger battery than 85kWh for cost reasons, parts commonality between the Model S and Model X(for the battery pack/drivetrain) and the fact that it is expected by pretty much everyone that the Model X's range will be lower than that of a comparable Model S in addition to its range that will surely be enough to cover the distance between two SuperChargers.

Earlier this year in Oslo, Elon said that the X would be 10% less efficient than the S primarily due to larger frontal area moving through the air. JB has stated that adding the second drive unit is energy neutral . There is no mechanical linkage between the front and rear units, so no efficiency loss there.

Tesla has said the range will be comparable.

The Model S 60 kWh has an EPA rated range of 208. I believe Tesla will somehow make sure the X's 60 kWh range doesn't fall below 200 miles which seems to be Elon's sweet spot.
Not ruling out a larger batter but there are other options. For example cameras instead of windows "might" do the trick.