Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rial Luganos 19", Scraping Wheel Well, Only in Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My New 19" Rial's seem to be scraping my wheel wells when at a certain angle when I drive in reverse.

I don't hear the noise while I'm driving forward but i assume that's because of the "grain" of the tread on Wheel

The guys who installed it said it's probably due to the offset on the Rial's being +32mm instead of the Stock 19"s +40mm

Anyone else having this problem?
Thoughts on a solution?

IMG_3409.JPG

Details:
19" Rial Lugano's Silver
85K Model S

What tires are you using?

I have 2 sets of 19x8.5 wheels with +38 offset. I get rubbing in reverse but only with my set of Michelin 255/45R19 tires...

My New 19" Rial's seem to be scraping my wheel wells when at a certain angle when I drive in reverse.

I don't hear the noise while I'm driving forward but i assume that's because of the "grain" of the tread on Wheel

The guys who installed it said it's probably due to the offset on the Rial's being +32mm instead of the Stock 19"s +40mm

Anyone else having this problem?
Thoughts on a solution?

Details:
19" Rial Lugano's Silver
85K Model S

With the rials and xice3 tires on my car I get minor rubbing from the front passenger tire whenever I turn to the left, going forwards or reverse, when the wheel between 60 to 80 percent of total left turning, if that makes sense. I looked at this and it appears the rubbing occurs on some vent fins that exists on the forward side of the inside wheel well. Nothing of risk, just a little noisy. Not sure if this is the same thing you are seeing.

I don't have the Rial, but I did get a different set of aftermarket 19"s. I had the same problem and the SC took care of it for me.

The curious part of my situation, was I didn't have an issue until after I took it in for an alignment at the SC, when they brought it back, the rubbing was there.

I believe they ended up making a slight modification to the wheel well plastic bits after trying over and over again to get the alignment to fix it.

I have had my 19" Rials on for about a week, and I also notice a minor rubbing sound when I back out of my driveway and turn the wheel. It's the only time I notice it. I don't seem to get it backing out of parking spaces and such. I have the original Tesla-supplied 19" Goodyears mounted to these rims.

mnx, to answer your question,
yes i'm using the stock Michelin 255/45R19 19" tires that came with the MS new. I simply swapped the rims from the stock rim to the Rial's

It's good to know other people have experienced minor noise grating on their tires too.
I'll probably just end up ignoring it, or having the service center file down the plastic spot on my wheel wells a tad.

Stock tire size is 245/45R19 FWIW. :)

mnx, to answer your question,
yes i'm using the stock Michelin 255/45R19 19" tires that came with the MS new. I simply swapped the rims from the stock rim to the Rial's

It's good to know other people have experienced minor noise grating on their tires too.
I'll probably just end up ignoring it, or having the service center file down the plastic spot on my wheel wells a tad.

So as I think about this, the question that comes to mind is "why only in reverse?"

The wheel should be in a fixed position in the wheel wheel. Does it move fore and aft somehow depending on the direction of travel and torque applied to the suspension mechanisms? To me, I would think it should not, but am now wondering...

So as I think about this, the question that comes to mind is "why only in reverse?"

Yes, this was the most puzzling part to me as well, but the third party installer did not seem to be surprised by this, and said it was most likely because the weight of the tire shifting forward and back slightly depending on the direction, i can easily find the "angle" it occurs on , and go forward and it makes no noise.

I've noticed now it only seems to be the front right wheel

and yes MNX, my tire is the 245 not 255, oops

I had it as well. The service center said they noticed it and adjusted caster slightly to accommodate.

Hey - sorry to revive an old thread, but i just run across the same problem when I installed my winter tires this year. They are Rial Lugano with Blizzak LM32. They worked without a squeak last year, but this year I'm getting a horrible running noise. I just spoke to service and apparently, when they did the alignment at my annual service they "corrected' the caster angle back into spec by moving it positive by 0.5 degrees. The manager said that little bit of a change shouldn't have made any difference, but apparently he did. Since the wheels are aftermarket, they won't do anything to accommodate, including not realigning back to what they were. I could take it to an aftermarket shop, but he said a change in alignment would affect the handling. In addition, he recommended against heating and reshaping the louvered fender liners for the sake of air flow. He also mentioned that even on the stock wheels, the snow tires sometimes rub when you're going into reverse with the wheel locked, and said it wasn't that big of a deal.

Can I ask which service center helped you with the adjustment?
Basically, I was told to either just deal with it or else make my own modifications at my own peril.
I'm a little miffed because I bought the snow tires last year when i got the car. I went with the Luganos since the stock Tesla winter wheel set wasn't available.