Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh SC vs. Rockville SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirmed my order on 3/31. I'm pretty much in the middle between Raleigh and Rockville for a delivery location.

Thinking I'll go to Raleigh and skip DC traffic. Anyone have experience with Raleigh they'd like to share? Anyone I should ask for?

I'll let the Richmond owners chime in but I'm pretty sure your service center will be Raleigh. They do my service for here in Lynchburg. Also I'm not sure if you get a choice regarding which service center takes care of you (for Ranger service anyway). I've been very happy with the Raleigh SC and I think the volume there is probably lower than Rockville so you'll have an easier time scheduling service.

Why don't you get the car delivered to you in Richmond?

According to the TMC website, it looks like Rockville is closer based upon mileage, but I think Raleigh is closer in terms of travel time. I despise DC traffic, so I will probably use the Raleigh SC.

I thought about having the car delivered to my home. Heard some good advice that it's a lot easier to get the minor issues resolved immediately if you pick up at the SC. What was your experience? Did you have yours delivered to your home and were they able to manage any minor issues you had?

Don't forget to factor in stopping at a Supercharger. The distance between the Rockville Service Center and the Bethesda Supercharger is pretty close. Then you hop to the Glen Allen Supercharger which is 108 miles. That's a pretty good intro on the first day, but traffic can definitely suck. I'm not sure where you are in Richmond, but the hop from Raleigh to Richmond means either doing 160 or so miles on your first day, or going east to Rocky Mount and then coming up 95 for a total of around 180 miles. While a S85 can easily do 160 miles, you might not want to do that on your first day. You might find it hard to resist driving it in a manner to keep it under 475 watts/mile. :)

I have family in DC so it's a no brainer for me to go north. Hopefully when we get the Virginia Service Center, it'll be even easier.

Mine was home delivered. No issues noticed at delivery. I had one issue with reverse tilt mirrors that was fixed remotely. I developed an issue with a bad tire pressure sensor that was fixed, along with a couple of service bulletins , by a Ranger in my driveway a couple of months after delivery.

My service center was Rockville until about mid-2013, then it was moved to Raleigh. I've had good experiences at both, though no recent experiences at Rockville.

The folks at Raleigh have been awesome. I usually talk with Gwenen there....she is a hoot, great personality, and very helpful.