Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surviving the stages of delivery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed my order on the 31st. That night, I couldn't sleep. Like a kid before Christmas even though the site gave me a late May delivery. Not nervous about the decision, more excited about what I just did I guess.

Suspecting this might become a pattern with every new step in the process...

-When my VIN# gets assigned
-When it goes from "sourcing parts" to "in production"
-When I get the financing all squared away
-When I get insurance all squared away
-When they set a delivery date
-Night before delivery
-First night it's in the garage

Any suggestions on how to put up with all these impending sleepless nights? Any other sleepless nights I should anticipate?

Oh, FTR:

S85, blue, tan leather, pano, tech package, fogs, interior lights, 19" wheels. Do people post their reservation numbers, or just wait for VIN?

Heh, my first sleepless night was the night after the day when I noticed that a car dealer has actually started selling Tesla in Finland! The very next night, after I had called them and ordered and confirmed my Tesla MS, I slept much better already. :smile:

Every single bullet point = a sleepless night. You got that right. Just do what you can to occupy your time. Read everything you can from the forums, watch every youtube video. Eventually the delivery day will come....the best part is: It is and understatement to say it's worth the wait!

Any suggestions on how to put up with all these impending sleepless nights? Any other sleepless nights I should anticipate?

Oh, FTR:

S85, blue, tan leather, pano, tech package, fogs, interior lights, 19" wheels. Do people post their reservation numbers, or just wait for VIN?
Melatonin, Ambien, stiff martinis...I actually had to take at least a mg of melatonin for the 5 weeks after I finalized my order.

Sleep-Aid-Substance-Abuse.jpg

Do not combine the Ambien and Martinis !! :eek:

Last edited:
Melatonin, Ambien, stiff martinis...I actually had to take at least a mg of melatonin for the 5 weeks after I finalized my order.

First, be sure you've married well prior to ordering. My wife prescribed all the drugs I needed and now I've received word that delivery has been moved up almost two weeks early, or next weekend. She's going to double the dosage of her prescriptions.

Help pass the time by working on projects like installing your 14-50, developing a playlist for your first ride, making arrangements for pickup day (get a friend to drive you and assign him to take photos--you'll be to awestruck to think about photos, but will appreciate them later.) get a high capacity USB stick for your music library and set it up. just a rew suggestions to help pass the time (and make you more excited at the same time!)

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you...ordered and confirmed March 7th...VIN on March 12...received and installed the HPWC, and now anxiously awaiting the next steps. Financing arranged and my insurance guy ready to cover. All I need is the car. Finally licked the sleepless nights, but I am sure they will return the moment the car goes into production.

S85, Blue Metallic, Grey Nappa Leather, Obeche Gloss, Pano Roof, 19", HPWC, Tech, Parking, Fog Lamps, UHFidelity, Premium Interior Ltg, Parcel Shelf

I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you...ordered and confirmed March 7th...VIN on March 12...received and installed the HPWC, and now anxiously awaiting the next steps. Financing arranged and my insurance guy ready to cover. All I need is the car. Finally licked the sleepless nights, but I am sure they will return the moment the car goes into production.

S85, Blue Metallic, Grey Nappa Leather, Obeche Gloss, Pano Roof, 19", HPWC, Tech, Parking, Fog Lamps, UHFidelity, Premium Interior Ltg, Parcel Shelf

Yeah, the production phase will probably drive me nuts. So it sounds like it took about a week for you to get your VIN? I'll look for it next week so I can get started on insurance and financing...

Surviving the stages of delivery

One thing I learned my short time on this and other forums, is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how production is sequenced. I have seen VINs higher than mine being delivered, cars ordered the same day or later delivered. He said they set expectations at 60 - 90 days, but sometimes it can be quicker due to cancellations, logistics, etc. The best part of the response was this, "At this time it appears that your Model S will be available during the latter part of the week of April 20th. We will be contacting you to schedule your delivery either today, or early tomorrow." I can now anticipate three more weeks of reading the Forums, sleepless nights, and one more garage clean-up project.

S85, Blue Metallic, Grey Nappa Leather, Obeche Gloss, Pano Roof, 19", HPWC, Tech, Parking, Fog Lamps, UHFidelity, Premium Inteior Ltg, Parcel Shelf

I confirmed my order on the 31st. That night, I couldn't sleep. Like a kid before Christmas even though the site gave me a late May delivery. Not nervous about the decision, more excited about what I just did I guess.

Suspecting this might become a pattern with every new step in the process...

-When my VIN# gets assigned
-When it goes from "sourcing parts" to "in production"
-When I get the financing all squared away
-When I get insurance all squared away
-When they set a delivery date
-Night before delivery
-First night it's in the garage

Oh, FTR:

Whats frustrating is that even if you try to move things along like insurance, financing, additional downpayment they seem to stall until some point (don't know yet since I'm not there yet) in their process without telling you what that point is or why or anything. 3 weeks from scheduled delivery date and I have no idea of the steps but I do know that a few things take some time to get done and Im an engineer, we plan and execute and hit the date without last minute scrambles.

Just discovered my delivery date got pushed to June. Bummer.

Quick question: How long does it take before I get a VIN# and where do I see that on My Tesla? It's been a week and based on what I read on this forum it looks like 1 week seems about the time you get your VIN...