Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Child booster car seats (non-tesla products)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new Model S is set to arrive in a couple weeks. Our daughter is ready to move out of her forward facing convertible car seat into a booster but we have been holding off until we got the Tesla because we want to be sure the new seat fits properly before we start using it. Our son is also ready to move out of an infant seat, so the timing is working out pretty well.

We are looking for something that has a 5 point harness and later converts into a booster where the child is able to buckle themselves in. I've read several threads and it seems like everyone is saying a seatbelt extender is necessary. The Model S has now logged a lot more miles since previous booster seat threads.

Is there anyone out there who has found a five point harness to booster convertible booster seat that does not need a seat belt extender? If no, what kind of booster seat are you using for your toddler? Pictures are welcome!

Thanks everyone!

What is a forward facing convertible car seat?
Having two children myself I'm well acquainted with child seats, but here (in Sweden) we keep the children backwards facing until they are at least 4 years old. This is because a front impact with a small child forward facing will cause severe injuries due to the fact that their head is disproportionally heavy compared to the rest of the body and the muscles in the neck isn't fully developed yet. So I strongly suggest you look into having them backwards facing until at least 4.

What is a forward facing convertible car seat?
Having two children myself I'm well acquainted with child seats, but here (in Sweden) we keep the children backwards facing until they are at least 4 years old. This is because a front impact with a small child forward facing will cause severe injuries due to the fact that their head is disproportionally heavy compared to the rest of the body and the muscles in the neck isn't fully developed yet. So I strongly suggest you look into having them backwards facing until at least 4.

We wait until 2 years+ to turn the kids forward facing...but I've seen people turn their kids as young at 1. I know it's not as safe but there is no way my daughter would fit rear facing, do you guys have different seats that fit their legs? I liked the idea of the jump seats because they were rear facing but ultimately decided against it because of other safety concerns.

Convertible car seats can face forward and back and can fit kids from birth until 50-90 lbs or so depending on the model. Usually the kids outgrow these due to height, not weight.

We have one of these with an isofix mountable base for use up to 12-18 months:
Maxi-Cosi Cabriofix | Baby Car Seats | Maxi-Cosi
And then one of these for up to 4 years. But our daughter outgrow it when she was 3 and a half due to torso length (shoulders not fitting under the headrest with a straight back).
http://www.besafe.com/en/Car-seat-Products/Toddlers-car-seat-0-18-0-25kg/iZi-Kid-X3-ISOfix

BTW: This is in a BMW, my Model S was just ordered but I intent to use the same seats there.

Thanks Matbl. We are switching out of something similar because my daughters head is almost reaching the top of the seat and shoulder strap issue like you.

We have two of these:

Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat, Red Rock:Amazon:Baby

It's worked great for my now-7-yo son. I use the latch anchors to set it up in the Model S.

The flat bench-like back seat (leather) in the Model S is a bit slippery though and I can't seem to eliminate a bit of slide of the car seat when in tight corners or on freeway clover leaf ramps. My son braces for it every time!

I agree with gg_got_a_tesla. We use the same Britax seat, and it works very nicely and fits in easily.

We also have used the following seats:

First Years B540

Graco Roundabout (as base and seat separately).

See this thread also.

I also got a couple of these seat protectors to help prevent injuries to the leather seats. They do make buckling a bit more difficult, but it does save the leather. (They also make great pads to sit on in the front seats when I come home from the gym!)

We have two of these:

It's worked great for my now-7-yo son. I use the latch anchors to set it up in the Model S.

The flat bench-like back seat (leather) in the Model S is a bit slippery though and I can't seem to eliminate a bit of slide of the car seat when in tight corners or on freeway clover leaf ramps. My son braces for it every time!

We were concerned about this and didn't choose leather because of it. I was tempted to call after I confirmed and change to leather, but now I'm glad I didn't.

Do you have both of these seats in the Tesla? Do they latch correctly or does it take some effort to get the seat to fit? Seatbelt extender? I have the Frontier 90 on the list, but it looked pretty bulky.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with gg_got_a_tesla. We use the same Britax seat, and it works very nicely and fits in easily.

We also have used the following seats:

First Years B540

Graco Roundabout (as base and seat separately).

See this thread also.

I also got a couple of these seat protectors to help prevent injuries to the leather seats. They do make buckling a bit more difficult, but it does save the leather. (They also make great pads to sit on in the front seats when I come home from the gym!)

Ouch, I certainly won't be going with the Graco in that thread you sent me the link to, I feel bad for that guy!

My daughter is only 3 but very tall, I would feel most comfortable if she were in a 5 point harness but the options are limited.

Thanks for all the info and links though, I think I am going to add this one to the list (from your link):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Looks pretty bulky though, may need to wait until the car arrives before buying.

While not absolutely required to use your seats in the MS, these extenders are worth their weight in gold (I use them) and will make putting the seats in and taking them out out A LOT easier: Amazon.com: Car Seat Belt Extender for 2014 Tesla Model S (rear window seats) - Regular Style Available in Black, Gray Beige: Automotive

I also lay down a soft place mat (from the dining section in Walmart) underneath each child seat to protect the leather from creasing or imprinting from the bottom of the seats.

Our new Model S is set to arrive in a couple weeks. Our daughter is ready to move out of her forward facing convertible car seat into a booster but we have been holding off until we got the Tesla because we want to be sure the new seat fits properly before we start using it. Our son is also ready to move out of an infant seat, so the timing is working out pretty well.

We are looking for something that has a 5 point harness and later converts into a booster where the child is able to buckle themselves in. I've read several threads and it seems like everyone is saying a seatbelt extender is necessary. The Model S has now logged a lot more miles since previous booster seat threads.

Is there anyone out there who has found a five point harness to booster convertible booster seat that does not need a seat belt extender? If no, what kind of booster seat are you using for your toddler? Pictures are welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Here's a link to a review of the Model S that includes extensive car seat information.

Tesla Model S Review: The Only Emissions Come from the Kids

While not absolutely required to use your seats in the MS, these extenders are worth their weight in gold (I use them) and will make putting the seats in and taking them out out A LOT easier: Amazon.com: Car Seat Belt Extender for 2014 Tesla Model S (rear window seats) - Regular Style Available in Black, Gray Beige: Automotive

I also lay down a soft place mat (from the dining section in Walmart) underneath each child seat to protect the leather from creasing or imprinting from the bottom of the seats.

I recommend not going with the extenders that have added belt material. the one piece stiff version are easier to use.

I'm not judging anyone just curious why isn't anyone using the jump seats on the MS?

I use the jump seats fairly frequently for my kids (3 and almost 8) when we have to haul more than 4 people around. But I don't use them for routine driving, mostly because I generally have other stuff in the trunk. There's also the climate control issue--the jump seats can get warm pretty quickly. I have the sunshade but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Just wanted to point out that you SHOULD NOT be using latch if your child and car seat weigh more than 65 COMBINED.

I'm guessing your child and car seat are past that weight, so you should switch to using the seatbelt to hold the car seat/booster in place.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/w...now-about-new-child-car-seat-latch-rules.html

We have two of these:

Last edited:
Hmm... I didn't know this; thanks, russman. Yes, the combined weight in my son's case is just over 70 lbs now. Will review this weekend.

In response to MassX's question earlier, no, I have only one of these in the MS. And, it is a wide booster in that, once installed in the center, it makes for uncomfortable seating for adults next to it. The seat belt anchor extenders would help with buckling in.

I've been using a Britax Frontier on a Diono Ultra Mat seat protector for my 4 year old (now 5) for over a year in the Model S and it has worked great. I was able to get a really firm install - no slipping, sliding, or movement of any sort. It's in there solid. And I've even taken it out and reinstalled it a few times.

The center seat position was still usable, but only just barely. A narrower kid seat, like the Diono Radian, might be a better choice if you want more use of the middle passenger seat.

Now she just wants to ride in the rear-facing jump seats all the time, so I've removed the Britax. I'm pretty happy about having the entire rear seat back again! And that seat protector did a great job. After a year the leather underneath still looks fine.

Last edited:
We have one of these Recaro seats in each car. My five-year-old son can still grow a little bit more before he exceeds what the max height for the five-point harness, and the seat later converts into a booster. The wide projected sides provide great places to rest his head when he falls asleep, and the seats are incredibly comfortable. I think this particular model has been discontinued, but we've been so happy I figured I would mention it.