Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade for 90 limited "A Packs" : Official answer from Jerome Guillen, VP WWSS TM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
I've had several back and forths with Tesla re: "A Pack" Upgrades/Battery Swap. Here is the latest FYI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for your message and your interest in upgrading your battery pack.

Please note that we remain constrained in our capacity to produce batteries. We will not be able to offer replacement packs for several months. Until then, we also need to sort out the business case.

Thank you for your understanding, your patience, and your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen VP, WW sales and service
www.teslamotors.com"

Well, it is somewhat news that Jerome is holding himself to "several months." This means that if we get to 2015 and there is no offer of upgrades, Tesla will be in bad faith on this point. Respectfully...
Let me simplify that theory for you...

Someone at Tesla said <timeline>. If <timeline>+N passes and nothing happens, Tesla will be in hot water.
This has not been the case for anything regarding Model S. I'm not clear where people see the precedent, evidence, or supporting material for such assertions these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me again why any A pack owner feels entitled to an upgrade? Yes, I have an A pack. No, I don't feel we're entitled to an upgrade. Tesla owes us nothing.
It's been discussed many times and you can read the relevant threads as well as I have.

In short: Tesla indicated as early as 2011 (read: before anyone took delivery of Model S) that the vehicle would support 120 kW supercharging -- without any hardware changes to the vehicle. When that later proved to be incorrect, they were at best shady about not coming clean with the failure to follow-through. There were several points along this timeline that Tesla could have corrected course rather than letting owners discovered that they were sold something different than they actually got.

In short: Tesla indicated as early as 2011 (read: before anyone took delivery of Model S) that the vehicle would support 120 kW supercharging -- without any hardware changes to the vehicle. When that later proved to be incorrect, they were at best shady about not coming clean with the failure to follow-through. There were several points along this timeline that Tesla could have corrected course rather than letting owners discovered that they were sold something different than they actually got.

Tesla also told me I could store music on the on-board hard drive. Can't do that either. How is this different?

Tell me again why any A pack owner feels entitled to an upgrade? Yes, I have an A pack. No, I don't feel we're entitled to an upgrade. Tesla owes us nothing.

This issue has been covered extensively here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24799-Older-Teslas-limited-to-90kW-Supercharging

Let's not do a rehash on this new thread. What is new: The timeline, upgrade business case in progress, and IMO the lack of mention of "Battery Swap" as a solution.

This sounds like the response I got from him when I asked him if Tesla would honor George Bs commitment to retrofit our cars with lighted vanity mirrors. His response was that 'unfortunately this is not on the current product calendar'. Has anyone seen lighted mirrors yet? I would much rather see just a yes or no to such questions.