Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need fellow forum member insight / feedback - Had originally wanted an S85, but when I went on the demo ride all they had was a P85 to drive. Went back about a week later to drive the S85 (as that was the car I originally wanted) - so I ordered the S85 last Friday, and my confirmation date is April 10th. After "re-thinking" about the P85, I test drove the P85 again last night. As you might have guessed, I'm thinking about changing my order to the P85 - the acceleration was incredible - I know that it is clearly very different than the S85 from 0-30/60 and that from 40-80 is much less discernable. However, the acceleration from start is breathtaking. Cost difference is about $13k - (comparable equipment), but my concern is that if I go for the S85, will I be regretting it a year or two from now, and do the "should have done it" scenerio. I just don't know if the extra $13k is worth it for that "thrill" from a standing start, but everytime I think about that rocket-like launch it gives me a bigger "Tesla Grin". What do you think??

Need fellow forum member insight / feedback - Had originally wanted an S85, but when I went on the demo ride all they had was a P85 to drive. Went back about a week later to drive the S85 (as that was the car I originally wanted) - so I ordered the S85 last Friday, and my confirmation date is April 10th. After "re-thinking" about the P85, I test drove the P85 again last night. As you might have guessed, I'm thinking about changing my order to the P85 - the acceleration was incredible - I know that it is clearly very different than the S85 from 0-30/60 and that from 40-80 is much less discernable. However, the acceleration from start is breathtaking. Cost difference is about $13k - (comparable equipment), but my concern is that if I go for the S85, will I be regretting it a year or two from now, and do the "should have done it" scenerio. I just don't know if the extra $13k is worth it for that "thrill" from a standing start, but everytime I think about that rocket-like launch it gives me a bigger "Tesla Grin". What do you think??

If the $13k isn't worth the second or so on the 0-60, go with the S85. If the $13k doesn't mean much to you, go with the P85. It's really a personal preference...you can't make a wrong decision, you are getting a Tesla and you will be thrilled either way! Weigh the importance of the $13k and go with your gut.

Like most people who decide between the S85 and P85, I have had the same doubts.

Finally it occured to me that if I went to the P85, I would not have any practical upgrade path remaining! So, I managed to convince myself that I will settle for S85 for now, and save the price difference towards the possibly upcoming AWD version of Model S. Considering the usual road conditions here and long winters, I would have rather limited opportunities to enjoy the faster acceleration anyways (lack of traction), so I'll leave an upgrade path open by making it possible for me to switch to AWD P85 (or whathever P100 they come up with) in a few years, to fully enjoy the acceleration. :smile:

Another question beyond the P85 vs S85 decision - I had ordered the obeche gloss wood (as I've always liked and had that "look" in my previous cars), but when I drove the P85 again yesterday - it had the carbon fiber trim - frankly, I didn't realize that it was REAL carbon fiber, now I'm thinking about switching that as well!! I guess with having the most technological car made today - it seems fitting that it should have carbon fiber - Thoughts??

It is really up to you. The extra acceleration is very nice, but after the first few weeks (and outside of giving test rides to friends and family), you may not use it that often. I typically spend more time trying to minimize my energy usage (just for a goal), so I don't put my foot in it that often anymore. I still like to know that it is there when I want to use it though.

To clarify, I understand that at the end it is a personal choice, but was asking more because based on the type of "advanced car" that it is - is it more natural to go with the high tech (carbon fiber) vs the traditional (gloss wood) option.

Also, good point regarding saving the $'s for down the road if AWD is the ultimate goal for your needs.... Something more for me to think about before I push the confirm button!!

If I did it again, I'd go for the P85. The acceleration is very notable off the line, which is where I get most of my "fun". Once the car is up to 30mph they are harder to tell apart. Sometimes I start out a little slower then punch it at around 30 to similar the feeling of the P85. :)

Upgrading later is several thousand dollar more expensive and does not include the Alcantara headliner, painted brake calipers, spoiler or performance pedals.

If I did it again, I'd go for the P85. The acceleration is very notable off the line, which is where I get most of my "fun". Once the car is up to 30mph they are harder to tell apart. Sometimes I start out a little slower then punch it at around 30 to similar the feeling of the P85. :)

Upgrading later is several thousand dollar more expensive and does not include the Alcantara headliner, painted brake calipers, spoiler or performance pedals.

I agree! The "extra" performance aside (which I love!), all four of these items included in the P85 definitely are head turners. If you can afford it, go for it now (that was my philosophy). I know several folks here in the DC area that have sold their S85s for P85s...and they wished they bought the P85 to start!

From what I have heard, insurance costs more, and you will burn through tires faster.

It is a heck of a lot of fun though, so if the initial cost bump and the increased tire and insurance cost don't bother you, go for it!

I bought an S85 and love it. BUT, my next one will be a P85 for sure. I vote for the P85. If you even think you might regret your decision, go with the P85, then you'll never have a regret. I get thrills off stop lights with my S85...I'd be in cloud 9 with a P85 at every light. mwahahaha

Before comitting to my design I went to the local SC to see the trim options in person. I wanted carbon fiber, but decided against it as while I knew it was real, I felt it looked like plastic. I opted for matte obeche and couldn't be happier. The matte is really just all-natural wood grain...no gloss coat and I love it. There's my 2 cents.

From what I have heard, insurance costs more, and you will burn through tires faster.

It is a heck of a lot of fun though, so if the initial cost bump and the increased tire and insurance cost don't bother you, go for it!

Insurance varies widely, of course. I priced the S85 and P85 with USAA when I was getting ready to place my order, and the premiums were the same. But I don't think that's true for everybody -- best answer: get two quotes from each insurance company you're considering. Anyway, there are tons of threads around here discussing insurance.

Also, you can choose 19" or 21" wheels with either the S85 or the P85. The 19"s will last longer on either one, as I understand it, but do keep in mind that it's pretty easy to spin the 19"s in a P85 under hard acceleration. That said, I went with the 19"s for their relative longevity / durability vs. the 21"s. I've also read that the 21"s are terrible in the winter, and many people use 19"s for the coldest part of the year.

No argument from me on the fun aspect of P85! I really couldn't offer a practical justification to myself, just the fun factor, but I have zero regrets.

+1 on going to a store/gallery or service center to see trim options in person. I was set on a grey exterior until the last minute and ended up with silver. I also considered the CF decor but ended up going with obeche matte. I think both go nicely with the grey leather seats though.

Like most people who decide between the S85 and P85, I have had the same doubts.

Finally it occured to me that if I went to the P85, I would not have any practical upgrade path remaining! So, I managed to convince myself that I will settle for S85 for now, and save the price difference towards the possibly upcoming AWD version of Model S. Considering the usual road conditions here and long winters, I would have rather limited opportunities to enjoy the faster acceleration anyways (lack of traction), so I'll leave an upgrade path open by making it possible for me to switch to AWD P85 (or whathever P100 they come up with) in a few years, to fully enjoy the acceleration. :smile:

Really like this logic:)