Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forget what it's like to drive a gas car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been drinking in Tesla for 1 week straight. I must be getting used to it.

Today it snowed a lot surprisingly! I jumped in my Ford Explorer parked in the street. Put it in drive and at first thought I was in M as the thing barely moved. Then I almost killed myself drivinf right into an intersection (no regen). When I got out I left the car running. Hahaha

Today it snowed a lot surprisingly! I jumped in my Ford Explorer parked in the street. Put it in drive and at first thought I was in M as the thing barely moved. Then I almost killed myself drivinf right into an intersection (no regen). When I got out I left the car running. Hahaha

ha ha ha! why did you even think of getting back to your old Ford Explorer!

Common problem. You get used to the transition over time.

It is like when you have a stick and an automatic; the first time you jump in the automatic after weeks with the stick you try to shift and slam on the brake with your left foot, thinking it is the clutch.

I only drive petrol cars now when I have to take my wife's Highlander Hybrid or if I have to drive an ambulance (volunteer activity). The Amby is so different I don't get confused, but the Highlander confused the hell out of me the first few months.

I have a Tahoe Hybrid and having my Tesla for a few weeks now, I thought I better take it out for a spin to charge the batteries (I wish I could plug it in!). I thought exactly the same thing when I hit the gas and it barely moved (and it has a 6.0 L V8!). It also felt really strange to drive - not responsive at all and I almost forgot that I had to hit the brakes even though it also has regenerative braking (but not at all the same). I need to keep it to tow my boat and for the mountain passes in the winter but other than that, I don't see it getting much use.

I turn the wipers on in the old Camry every time I try to back out of the drive way. Then I do it again when I try to put in drive.

I drove that car for years, I've have the Tesla for a little over 4 months and I look like a total idiot when I try to drive the Camry now.

The first time I drove it (it's my daughters car now) I actually though it needed to go in for transmission service, because when I pressed the gas pedal, is felt like it was not engaging and I could not get up to speed on the on ramp. I was ready to talk to my daughter about maintaining her car properly and letting me know when it's it needs service. :)

Having driven a mustang gt, jag xj, BMW 740, while my car was in for repair, there is nothing that can come close to the p85.

Its crazy, I was actually planning on getting an xj because its so much cheaper. Glad I didn't.

Automatics and instant throttle response do not compute. Driving my wife's car w/ an auto tranny is an exercise in futility. I get so frustrated trying to pass vehicles because I hit the throttle and nothing happens. A couple of downshifts later it decides to go forward a bit but it is nothing like the Model S.

I refuse to even take my car in for service if they don't have a loaner available. I really can't fathom owning any other vehicle.