Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$70+ for Tire Rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove 5000 miles since my last annual service and thought it's time for tire rotations again. Instead of running to America's Tires again, called Tesla instead. Fremont Service Center quoted me at least $70 for that even though I said I have prepaid maintenance service. I remember reading other folks are getting that service for free. Has anyone got that free from the Fremont SC? Elon said Tesla's mission is not to make profit from services, but I'm sure there is a lot of profit even if it's $70. I don't mind paying for the service, but definitely not $70.

I think it's only free if you got the tires through Tesla. I know Tesla waives any and all responsibility for anything related to the tires if you don't get it through them. They won't even install the identical tires without a waiver (e.g. purchased from Tire Rack and shipped to Tesla).

Rockville Service Center does tire rotations for free if you have the prepaid plan. If you buy the tires somewhere else, they told me they can not mount them or install them on the car. Same thing if you purchase tires from Tesla to mount on third party wheels. However, once the non-purchased Tesla tires and/or non-purchased Tesla wheels are installed on the car, they will do subsequent rotations. Crazy policy, but that is what they told me it is.

Rockville Service Center does tire rotations for free if you have the prepaid plan. If you buy the tires somewhere else, they told me they can not mount them or install them on the car. Same thing if you purchase tires from Tesla to mount on third party wheels. However, once the non-purchased Tesla tires and/or non-purchased Tesla wheels are installed on the car, they will do subsequent rotations. Crazy policy, but that is what they told me it is.

Teslas as policy is that they will mount ANY tires on tesla wheels! They won't mount tires onto anyone else's wheels. And if you use a non approved tesla tire you have to sign a waiver. I know this as I just read over their policy today as I had them dismount my nokian haaka R7 studs and remount my primacys. It was the same form letter I had to sign when they mounted the studs back in September

that being said. They've never charged me for a rotate and I don't have a prepaid plan even. I pay $100 each time I have to change out my tyres which is fine by me. Maybe the person you spoke with was thinking you were asking about an alignment?

That bs they are Nicole and dining everything! They won't patch my tires either! I don't care what the manufacture states about patching high performance tires. If I buy tire from tesla as well as spending 100k on and a extra 3800 on service they need to fix the dam tires. My customer service from tesla had been like pulling teeth to get anything done. I'm so over it! Customer service is customer service even if means bending the rules sometimes.

Customer service is customer service even if means bending the rules sometimes.

Disagree. I've never had to ask them to bend the rules for me to get good service. Stellar service, actually. Respectfully, perhaps you're expecting things you shouldn't be expecting?

-------
On the tire stuff, sure sounds like you guys should be getting tire rotation on the prepaid service plan.

TM is just so inconsistent on policies; and I think $70 is way too much to rotate tires too. I had my first rotation done at Americas Tires; it took them less than 10 minutes and charged me for $25. Maybe I'll call them again and question why other owners are getting the same service for free in other SCs.

I bought a set of wheels/mounted snow tires from TireRack. Local SC put them on for $70 and I signed a waiver. They used to do many things for 'free' but have gotten 'burned' in the past by complaints of non OEM things that they put on having problems. Example: Wheel protectors they put on came off: tire blows/gets damaged and owner blames them wants them to reimburse him/her. No good deed goes unpunished.

When a manufacturer says not to patch tires and Tesla doesn't break that rule, that is being reasonable. I suspect BMW and Porsche do not go around patching HP tires either. Your beef is with the manufacturer of the tires. Costco doesn't mind that the tire loses the high speed rating when you patch them. You probably sign something that says you won't hold them liable and they are comfortable that their lawyers could make you cry if needed.

I'm a cheap bastard and I don't mind that policy. If I had an issue, I'd go to Costco and patch the tire. I don't usually travel over 100 mph anyway... But I entirely respect Tesla for not making that compromise.

And I really can't imagine going to Tesla for a tire repair anyway .....

When a manufacturer says not to patch tires and Tesla doesn't break that rule, that is being reasonable. I suspect BMW and Porsche do not go around patching HP tires either. Your beef is with the manufacturer of the tires. Costco doesn't mind that the tire loses the high speed rating when you patch them. You probably sign something that says you won't hold them liable and they are comfortable that their lawyers could make you cry if needed.

I'm a cheap bastard and I don't mind that policy. If I had an issue, I'd go to Costco and patch the tire. I don't usually travel over 100 mph anyway... But I entirely respect Tesla for not making that compromise.

And I really can't imagine going to Tesla for a tire repair anyway .....

True! You are very right! But I will definitely no longer by tires from Tesla! Bottom line tire rotation and balancing should be included in service. If I have to go somewhere to get my tire rotated and balanced and then have to bring back to Tesla for alignment it's kind of a inconvenience don't you think?

True! You are very right! But I will definitely no longer by tires from Tesla! Bottom line tire rotation and balancing should be included in service. If I have to go somewhere to get my tire rotated and balanced and then have to bring back to Tesla for alignment it's kind of a inconvenience don't you think?

Costco will not patch tires under their road hazard warranty when the patch would be in an unsafe place (like sidewall), or against manufacturer recommendations.
I just had this discussion with them a few days ago, and I think that policy is perfectly reasonable. As far as Tesla getting tough with some folks about touching wheels at all not purchased from them I just don't understand that at all.
I bought my original 19" tires through Costco and the SC took my wheels to Costco, waited until they were mounted and then took them back to the shop and put them on the car for me.
This just seems to be more of the seeming inconsistencies between SCs.