Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever had Tesla repaint their car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody ever had Tesla repaint their entire car due to soft paint problems?

IMHO, I don't believe the paint to be a factory "flaw" for being soft. It's just something that I believe is the result of strict CA enviro laws that Tesla must comply with when painting their cars here.

The issue may be as simple as a one-time process to perfect the paint and you simply maintain afterwards.

Our P85 (red) is in the shop presently getting a multistage paint correction, film, and two coats of Modesta. If I had more $$, I would either have it stripped to bare metal and properly painted again (with factory red), or at least wet-sanded to remove all the orange peel and then re-clearcoated.

Very few cars these days come out of the factory with no orange peel -- Aston Martin is one of the best. Tesla is not very good with respect to orange peel.

Has anybody ever had Tesla repaint their entire car due to soft paint problems?

Search these forums and also over at the TM forums (with volkerize.com) for way too much information on the subject. Lots of opinions on factory protection, aftermarket films/wraps and coatings, etc, etc. FWIW, I chose to get my car fully detailed and the paint 'perfected' followed by professional application of OptiCoat Pro. YMMV.

Tesla is not very good with respect to orange peel.

No, it certainly isn't. Definitely noticeable on the darker colors. My car's paint is inconsistent as well when it comes to peeling.

If the paint softness really bothers you (OP), I would highly recommend you have it professionally (or by yourself if you know how; I did mine) detailed and coated with a silica coating or Opti-Coat. These coatings add measurable thickness to the clear coat and provide some scratch and weather resistance. If the orange peel bothers you, it doesn't necessarily have to be wet sanded; often denim pads can even out enough of the orange peel.

Of course, if you really are seeking the highest level of scratch resistance, you should have your car wrapped with Xpel. Forget the Tesla paint armor.