Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle finish bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well, this is weird. The finish on my driver's side rear door handle has bubbles in the surface finish.

IMG_2678.JPG

When I first got the car, the driver's door handle started corroding prematurely, no doubt due to some kind of coating issue. This is rather different, and suggests that the newer handles have a different kind of finish (my door handles have all been replaced at least twice now).

Well, this is weird. The finish on my driver's side rear door handle has bubbles in the surface finish.

View attachment 46173

When I first got the car, the driver's door handle started corroding prematurely, no doubt due to some kind of coating issue. This is rather different, and suggests that the newer handles have a different kind of finish (my door handles have all been replaced at least twice now).

Would this actually be covered under service or would you have to buy a new handle?

With the weather getting a bit warmer, I actually spent some time wiping down the car after a car wash on Saturday (still too cold to hand wash in the driveway). I haven't noticed anything on the door handles (will look closer), but did notice some tiny rust spots on the chrome strip that runs between the tail lights and the chrome finish is flaking off the "T" logo on the rear trunk lip.

I've already had the side turn signals replaced for corrosion and was going to start a thread on "trim piece corrosion", but this is as good a place as any to discuss.

With the weather getting a bit warmer, I actually spent some time wiping down the car after a car wash on Saturday (still too cold to hand wash in the driveway). I haven't noticed anything on the door handles (will look closer), but did notice some tiny rust spots on the chrome strip that runs between the tail lights and the chrome finish is flaking off the "T" logo on the rear trunk lip.

I've already had the side turn signals replaced for corrosion and was going to start a thread on "trim piece corrosion", but this is as good a place as any to discuss.

the little "T" I'm not entirely surprised about it's just a plastic T painted with some form of chromed material. At least mine is. I actually have a two on my car and then two of them sitting on my desk waiting to be installed on my wall after I finish painting it (after I had the MS xpel'd they gave me all the little trim pieces to keep) now all the actual chrome pieces I would assume are actually chrome.

the little "T" I'm not entirely surprised about it's just a plastic T painted with some form of chromed material. At least mine is. I actually have a two on my car and then two of them sitting on my desk waiting to be installed on my wall after I finish painting it (after I had the MS xpel'd they gave me all the little trim pieces to keep) now all the actual chrome pieces I would assume are actually chrome.

Oddly, the one on the front of the car that takes the worst beating seems okay. It's the rear one that is flaking. You're right... it seems to be plastic with some sort of chrome-like coating.

I'd almost disagree that the front one takes all the beating. Yes I know it would seem like it. But every time it rains all that rain and muddy water gets splashed up and back onto the back hatch. I know this. Because I travel down a 3 mile dirt road daily to get home (and yes it's quite well maintained) but because of this I can see where all the water from the road hits as we drive etc. my t in the rear is usually caked in dirt. I know most peoples probably isn't but that being said it's still taking a beating from water and all those chemicals that the DOT outs on the he roads to keep us on the roads during winter. Just my two cents..

I will admit I've had two handles replaced due to bubbling of the crome-like wrapper. I was told it was applied through an electrical adhesion process (which I cannot explain), and on a humid day, it doesn't go so well. Water gets in between as a vapor during assembly and blisters out. It is a warranty fix.

View attachment 46173

Doug_G, did Tesla replace it?