Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently did it myself. I am not extremely handy, but willing to learn new skills. It turned out good enough that you can't see it by just looking at the car or even the wheel. You actually have to get real close to see the minor imperfections now. So not perfect, but I wasn't ready to buy new wheels or pay for someone to do it (as I may just get more curb rash soon enough). If I spent more time, I probably could have made it perfect.

I found some really useful youtube videos (there are tons of them) and found all the things I needed at my local Advance auto parts (fine automotive sandpaper, primer, silver wheel paint, clear coat spray). Good luck!

Our local service center recommended someone. He came out and fixed it in our driveway for a reasonable fee. My wife had scraped both wheels on a red curb. For a while I had her convinced she would have to buy new wheels, but the repair is so good it is not noticeable.

The service center generally has the contact information of someone who does it (and/or will do it for you during service). I paid ~$100/wheel to have them repaired through the service center, and this is cheaper than the work I'd have to put into it (and the results would not be quite as good, since they already know the right paint colors, etc.)

Well I decided to try a repair to the 2 rims that had some curb rash. I sanded with 80 grit by hand then used 150 then 0000 steel wool. Sprayed a clear coat on the repaired area and although it probably is not as good as a professional repair most people would not know the rims were damaged and it cost me 30 minutes and $5.

Well I decided to try a repair to the 2 rims that had some curb rash. I sanded with 80 grit by hand then used 150 then 0000 steel wool. Sprayed a clear coat on the repaired area and although it probably is not as good as a professional repair most people would not know the rims were damaged and it cost me 30 minutes and $5.

Hey, good on you! Did you need a coat of paint too? Care to share a photo?

Wife recently curbed the wheel on our + and had a mobile repair guy come out recommended by Tesla. Came out pretty decent. If I am kneeling on the floor and looking at the paint from an angle, I can see a surface texture difference, but to most it will not be noticeable at all. Costed us $150 for one wheel.