Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk in Mondays at the Mission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, this is my first post. I have admired Tesla since the start of 2013. I think what Elon has done is remarkable.

There is not much more info than what we know already in this video, but it is nice to know Elon is taking the time from his busy schedule to inspire the future!! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link RunningOnMangoes and welcome to TMC.

this talk was in a classroom of middle schoolers, and while there's plenty here we've seen from Elon in other interviews, the kids brought out reflection/details from Elon I'd not seen elsewhere.

for example, about 20:00 minutes in he talked about some key early decisions on developing the Roadster. Pretty sure I've heard second thoughts before about using the Lotus Elise, but here he said, they made two "pretty stupid" decisions... it cost way more to use the Elise than designing from scratch and retained downside of the Elise platform. The second stupid decision he said was licensing technology from AC Propulsion... here, Elon suggested none of it was really useful. He went on to say, the mistakes here may have been helpful... had they known they'd have to design a car from scratch they might not have attempted it.

I also really liked that one kid asked (paraphrasing) "how did you go from being to shy to talk to anyone at the Netscape lobby to someone so out in the world doing things?" never heard this interesting question from an adult. while not a detailed answer, Elon basically said in typical directness that he forced himself, and shared that it was quite mentally painful.

I also really liked that one kid asked (paraphrasing) "how did you go from being to shy to talk to anyone at the Netscape lobby to someone so out in the world doing things?" never heard this interesting question from an adult. while not a detailed answer, Elon basically said in typical directness that he forced himself, and shared that it was quite mentally painful.

Whenever I watch Elon in a public speaking setting, I always get the impression he has something like Asperger's Syndrome. That would explain a lot. It also impresses me even more that he's willing to constantly put himself out there to talk so much.

Whenever I watch Elon in a public speaking setting, I always get the impression he has something like Asperger's Syndrome. That would explain a lot. It also impresses me even more that he's willing to constantly put himself out there to talk so much.

Elon did seem somewhat tense in this setting. I've also seen situations like the new 60 minutes interview, where he seems quite relaxed, and an added element of charm and confidence show through. I can see why you brought up Aspergers (and it's clear to me you don't mean it as a judgement), but personally I'm "meh" on labels... I think Elon's simply himself.

that said, Jeff, I definitely feel likewise regarding added appreciation of the extent Elon's put himself out in the world given the discomfort he's tolerated.

Elon did seem somewhat tense in this setting. I've also seen situations like the new 60 minutes interview, where he seems quite relaxed, and an added element of charm and confidence show through. I can see why you brought up Aspergers (and it's clear to me you don't mean it as a judgement), but personally I'm "meh" on labels... I think Elon's simply himself.

that said, Jeff, I definitely feel likewise regarding added appreciation of the extent Elon's put himself out in the world given the discomfort he's tolerated.

Yeah, not meant as a label or put-down. I have a friend with Aspergers. Many people with the Syndrome do amazing things. In many ways, it can be helpful (for instance, typically allows impressive focus and attention to detail).

The social interaction stuff is the toughest for them. Talking about themselves, speaking to a crowd can be extremely uncomfortable. That's why I'm so impressed that Elon does it as well as he does.

Was this the school his kids attend? He may have been even more nervous because of that.

Was this the school his kids attend? He may have been even more nervous because of that.

Not so much. Union Rescue Mission is a large homeless shelter in Los Angeles and Mondays at the Mission seems to be some kind of youth program.

I imagine it could be uncomfortable to be a billionaire in a homeless shelter but respect him even more now. I also think the personal nature of the questions was more difficult for him than the typical SpaceX and Tesla questions he gets all the time. Great interview to watch, even with no Tesla info.

Yeah, not meant as a label or put-down. I have a friend with Aspergers. Many people with the Syndrome do amazing things. In many ways, it can be helpful (for instance, typically allows impressive focus and attention to detail).

The social interaction stuff is the toughest for them. Talking about themselves, speaking to a crowd can be extremely uncomfortable. That's why I'm so impressed that Elon does it as well as he does.

You may be onto something, Jeff, and as you note not necessarily bad. It's also been conjectured that Isaac Newton had Asperger syndrome. Regarding Elon's dealing with public speaking, I suggest he consult someone like Lionel Logue in "The King's Speech". Elon's not afflicted to nearly the degree that King George was, but if he wants to remain chief spokesman for his companies it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited: