Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Access Problem and Firmware v5.9 - any troubleshooting thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Longhorn92

MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)
Jul 6, 2012
Chicago
Here is my issue: I updated to v5.9 (1.51.88) early yesterday morning, and ever since I can only connect with the iPhone remote app if I do it in the first minute or so of leaving the car. After that, it will try to connect for a long time and then display "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not Be Made." Retry does not work. Here has been my troubleshooting so far:

1. Reboot main screen with Remote Access on.
2. Reboot main screen with Remote Access off.
3. Reboot main screen with the display Energy Saving mode on.
4. Reboot main screen with the display Energy Saving mode off.
5. Try with both car and phone on WiFi.
6. Try with both car and phone on cell service.
7. Completely delete the Tesla app from my iPhone and reinstall/re-login.
8. Try my wife's iPhone app.

Nothing has worked. Anyone have any suggestions? I will call Tesla tomorrow if I can't get it to work today.

Thanks!

------------------------------------------

Also, I have turned the Energy Saving mode off, and it doesn't connect.

Last edited:
Not sure this applies in the US but did you check you still have the "3G" symbol on the network connection ?
I had a similar problem recently and I had lost my 3G connection. The bars were all there but the 3G wasn't. When I switched to WiFi it all worked.

Not sure this applies in the US but did you check you still have the "3G" symbol on the network connection ?
I had a similar problem recently and I had lost my 3G connection. The bars were all there but the 3G wasn't. When I switched to WiFi it all worked.

Thanks for the suggestion Jackie. Yes, the 3G symbol does appear. Also, I have tried on WiFi as well.

Sounds like it goes into "asleep" and then the app cannot wake it up again.
I wrote my own Java app to connect to my car but I don't have v5.9 yet so I cannot check it out for you.
As you say - a call to Tesla seems to be the only answer.

It may be the case that your Wi-Fi router is blocking the port required for the VPN connection back to Tesla (UDP/1194 I believe?). Some have reported that their mobile app works when on 3G but on WiFi it fails. It may be the case that your vehicle hasn't joined the WiFi yet in the first minute or so, then after it does you can no longer access it.

Sounds like it goes into "asleep" and then the app cannot wake it up again.
I wrote my own Java app to connect to my car but I don't have v5.9 yet so I cannot check it out for you.
As you say - a call to Tesla seems to be the only answer.

I have been fighting this problem staring with 5.8 (both .8 and .10 subversions). Don't have 5.9 yet so can't comment there. My issue is that the car goes into 'deep sleep' after 20 minutes or so and will not wake up by iPhone app or Visible Tesla. I deleted my home/garage WiFi a month ago to ensure NO wifi was being used since my signal was weak in the garage and I also was concerned the won't wake problem was related to wifi.

The problem has persisted for the past three weeks only on 3G (and I can play slacker without problem or browse the web fine). I took the car in for service and Tesla was unable to duplicate the problem.

Oh yes: sometimes (maybe 1 out of 20 tries) it DOES wake up from the iPhone shockingly enough. I wonder if the car wakes itself to charge the 12V battery or some such maintenance function and I just happen to be trying the app while its awake for that purpose. Very weird.

Something is amiss related to deep sleep and remote wakeup that may or may not be related to WiFi and it may have started a few sw revs ago.

It may be the case that your Wi-Fi router is blocking the port required for the VPN connection back to Tesla (UDP/1194 I believe?). Some have reported that their mobile app works when on 3G but on WiFi it fails. It may be the case that your vehicle hasn't joined the WiFi yet in the first minute or so, then after it does you can no longer access it.

I started a thread with this fix. Unfortunately, Longhorn92 said:

6. Try with both car and phone on cell service.

Which eliminates this as the source of the problem.

So far, all my efforts to fix have been in vain. It doesn't appear to be a deep sleep problem since the lack of connection starts soon after exiting the car (one minute or so). Also, I have the same problem if I turn off Energy Saving for the display which should prevent any sleep mode. I will call Tesla tomorrow late afternoon (after a business trip) and report back with any solution.

I've only had this problem when the weather is cold. If I were to guess, I'd say that either the firmware didn't install 100% correctly, there is some bad memory, or the connection to the antennae weren't connecting properly.

I've only had this problem when the weather is cold. If I were to guess, I'd say that either the firmware didn't install 100% correctly, there is some bad memory, or the connection to the antennae weren't connecting properly.

You were right Jerry, the firmware did not install 100% correctly, even though the car displayed the "update completed successfully" window. The service center reinstalled (and I went from 1.51.88 to 1.51.94 as well). Now, remote access works again!

I still cannot get my car to wake up. Two visits to Service and they said all is normal. Last visit the said my problem was that I had a setting wrong that disabled remote access. Hmm, thats just not right. With a door open (or within five minutes or so of shutting down) my remote access via both iPhone and VisibleTesla works just find. But once car goes into deeper sleep its forever asleep (for remote access) until I again open a door.

Any ideas or suggestions for trouble shooting? SC just updated me to 1.51.106 two days ago. Also I just rebooted (again) both screens. This used to work fine until my 5.9 upgrade (I think) which makes me suspicious something failed from the OTA update. But SC keeps saying its fine. Arrrgh!

I still cannot get my car to wake up. Two visits to Service and they said all is normal. Last visit the said my problem was that I had a setting wrong that disabled remote access. Hmm, thats just not right. With a door open (or within five minutes or so of shutting down) my remote access via both iPhone and VisibleTesla works just find. But once car goes into deeper sleep its forever asleep (for remote access) until I again open a door.

Any ideas or suggestions for trouble shooting? SC just updated me to 1.51.106 two days ago. Also I just rebooted (again) both screens. This used to work fine until my 5.9 upgrade (I think) which makes me suspicious something failed from the OTA update. But SC keeps saying its fine. Arrrgh!

Next time your car goes into deep sleep, and you are unable to wake it, then you should call Tesla Ownership and asked them if they can connect to your car. If they cannot, then they will take you seriously and troubleshoot. Make sure your car has a good cell connection before going into deep sleep, because that will likely be one of their first questions.

Do you have wifi enabled? Turn it off and see if it changes the behavior.

Do you have wifi enabled? Turn it off and see if it changes the behavior.
Yes I do have (strong) WiFi in my garage. I had previously tried with WiFi disabled (good 3G) and thought WiFi was the cause. Turned out the same with either connection.

I thought back to various other "glitches" discussed on the forum (like Regen set to low after an update but the slider showing "High".... fixed by rebooting and then setting/resetting the slider) so I tried that yesterday. Dual reboots and set/reset of the energy saver setting *SO FAR* has my remote access working. Yeah! Hopefully this glitch is behind me now.

Yes I do have (strong) WiFi in my garage. I had previously tried with WiFi disabled (good 3G) and thought WiFi was the cause. Turned out the same with either connection.

I thought back to various other "glitches" discussed on the forum (like Regen set to low after an update but the slider showing "High".... fixed by rebooting and then setting/resetting the slider) so I tried that yesterday. Dual reboots and set/reset of the energy saver setting *SO FAR* has my remote access working. Yeah! Hopefully this glitch is behind me now.

Interesting. I had an issue with remote access but it was caused by the firewall behind my wifi.

Tesla service ROCKS! I got an unsolicited call from an engineer tonight (based on this forum I think) and we walked thru the problem together. Bottom line: he could not wake my car from deep sleep either "from the mother ship". While on the phone with me I opened a door and the car woke normally and he could verify that remotely.

Said Tesla engineering had opened a case, would look into it and get back to me with a solution. I checked 3 hours later for an update just in case they pushed a fix to me.... Nope not yet haha.

What other car company in the known universe is this proactive? Nobody but Tesla.

Not solved yet but I now am certain they will have a fix. Thank you Tesla. You guys rock and rule.

Tesla service ROCKS! I got an unsolicited call from an engineer tonight (based on this forum I think) and we walked thru the problem together. Bottom line: he could not wake my car from deep sleep either "from the mother ship". While on the phone with me I opened a door and the car woke normally and he could verify that remotely.

Said Tesla engineering had opened a case, would look into it and get back to me with a solution. I checked 3 hours later for an update just in case they pushed a fix to me.... Nope not yet haha.

What other car company in the known universe is this proactive? Nobody but Tesla.

Not solved yet but I now am certain they will have a fix. Thank you Tesla. You guys rock and rule.

Reinstalling the firmware worked for me when I had this same problem; however, they cannot push the firmware to the car OTA if they cannot see the car (i.e. if it's in deep sleep); therefore, a service center visit was required (even though I offered to stay with the car to keep it awake while they pushed it).

Tesla engineering called again today to set a time where they could access my car while parked and connected to WiFi. Same results: once it sleeps more then 10 or so minutes and goes into deep sleep no remote access wakes it up, either from iPhone, VisibleTesla or TMS (Tesla Mother Ship). At least they are not ignoring my issue, but not yet resolved.

It was. Hot today and I sure wanted to pre-cool via iPhone bit NO. Not serious just annoying.