Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear camera washer mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

InTheShadows

Apr 20, 2013
USA
Has anyone thought about trying to make a rear camera washer that would squirt washer fluid on the camera lense to clear it off in winter driving and/ or in the rain?

I hate it when it's raining or dirty and you can't use it.

I was thinking if one could put a T fitting into the existing washer line and figure out a way to run a tube to the back and put a little washer nozzle near the camera so when you squirt washer fluid a blast of washer fluid would hit your camera lens and blast the gunk off of it.

We use rain-x washer fluid and this would help to keep the rain beaded up so it's more usable too, I think.

Any thoughts on if this would be plausible?

This is a fantastic idea. I use actual rain x solution (not washer fluid) on the camera. I reapply it once a week and it does help. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing. Aquapel actually works the best but I don't use it on my windows because they all have film on them so I don't want to wast it just for one time use.

Has anyone thought about trying to make a rear camera washer that would squirt washer fluid on the camera lense to clear it off in winter driving and/ or in the rain?

I was thinking if one could put a T fitting into the existing washer line and figure out a way to run a tube to the back and put a little washer nozzle near the camera so when you squirt washer fluid a blast of washer fluid would hit your camera lens and blast the gunk off of it.

We use rain-x washer fluid and this would help to keep the rain beaded up so it's more usable too, I think.

A washer would be great - I keep a squirt bottle in the trunk for this.

Maybe something like this would work: Amazon.com: ACI 99300 Windshield Washer Pump: Automotive. You could put the bottle in one of the side wells in the trunk. The challenge would be running the hose all the way up to the top of the trunk opening, across to the trunk lid near the hinge with a flex hose, and back down to the nozzle.

This is not an actual washer mod, but it would be interesting if this material were available: Through a glass, clearly | MIT News Office. It repels both water and dust and could be retrofitted over the current lens glass.

Or this: University of Michigan News Service | A material that most liquids won't wet

With both front a rear cameras on my car I now give both a gentle wipe with lens cleaners after a storm or wet day. It's become a habit.

The challenge to a washer is that it can't leave water droplets on the camera lenses -- that distorts the images big time.

With both front a rear cameras on my car I now give both a gentle wipe with lens cleaners after a storm or wet day. It's become a habit.

The challenge to a washer is that it can't leave water droplets on the camera lenses -- that distorts the images big time.

That's why I was thinking about a washer jet.

I have that never wet stuff but I am really not liking the idea of spraying it on the camera. Maybe I'll try it on a pair of glasses to see if it works on them and keeps a clear view.

Here is a "pro" solution.....
headlight_wiper_2.jpg

A wiper on a very small camera with a highly curved lens would not be possible.

Interesting that the trim under the headlamp is rusting. I'm rather surprised that Mercedes would make a trim piece in that position out of material that could rust.

Yeah, curving a wiper blade would be tough. The rain-x solutions seem good.

My family has historically owned Mercedes: 1989 300SEL, 1992 500E, 2001 E320, 2009 C320, 2012 C300. The '89 and the 2001 rusted to all hell. Too early to tell on the '09 and '12.

Range Rover has added this feature. Lets hope some of this tech finds it's way into the new versions of the Tesla's.

Rear Washer jet for rear camera (Video 4.32)

Reactions: InTheShadows
I’ve been playing with this. Worked out the electronics. I’m also pretty sure I can make a washer nozzle that replaces one of the taillight lamp mounting screws. Just need the time to run tubing and wires into the hatch.

I bought a used camera wash system and took it apart. It seems to use a combination of an air pump and washer sprayer to alternate washing and drying.

See post 91 here:
Rear Camera, Can it be kept clean?

I use my thumb to wipe-off the camera. Works great. Only problem is, I can't do it while I'm driving and I usually don't notice the lens is dirty until after I'm already driving. Next time I exit the car, I give it a wipe.

I'm going to try Rain-X because the only time the camera is unusable is when there are water droplets on the lens. Dirt makes the image less clear, but still usable. Water droplets, especially at night, forget it.

Reactions: Jimmy 1