Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right Hand Drive Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got email today from Don Cochrane of Tesla in the UK saying that next year Tesla will offer Right Hand Drive models.

This is a significant indicator in my view of good company health and credible market expansion in prospect.

Right Hand Drive models obviously open up UK sales much more. My speculation is that the UK alone wouldn't be enough reason to do this (presumably) costly development. I speculate that it prefigures the Japan launch of Tesla, and I predict one of the 2010 Tesla store launches will be Tokyo.

Andrew

Don't forget Hong Kong.
It's a small place with lots of wealthy people and you are required to have somewhere to park your car to get it registered so most will have somewhere to charge. That would be my pick for the first Asian sale office.
As for Australia I want it to be Sydney, as I live there, but it will probably be Melbourne as Project Better Place has headquartered there.
As soon as they announce a RHD model S I'm ready to put my deposit down.

Greentech Media: Tesla Soon in Asia, Wrong Side of Road

The electric automaker will enter the Asian market next year, said CEO Elon Musk in an interview, an expansion partly paved by a version of the car now under development where the driver operates the vehicle on the right side and drives on the left side of the road.

"We will have right-hand drive by early next year," he said. "The final development will be done in a month or so."

The right-hand drive version of the car will first be sold to customers in Britain with sales in other right-hand drive countries like Singapore, Japan, Australia and Hong Kong to follow.

Don't forget Hong Kong.
It's a small place with lots of wealthy people and you are required to have somewhere to park your car to get it registered so most will have somewhere to charge. That would be my pick for the first Asian sale office.
As for Australia I want it to be Sydney, as I live there, but it will probably be Melbourne as Project Better Place has headquartered there.
As soon as they announce a RHD model S I'm ready to put my deposit down.

Is Luxuary Car Tax applicable to Tesla Roadstar ?

Thanks.

Presuming you are an Aussie (asking about LCT): Wikipedia says the following:-

An increased threshold of AUD$75,000 applies to fuel efficient cars that have a combined fuel consumption rating not exceeding 7 litres per 100 kilometres (based on a combined test cycle rating under ADR81).

Which implies it is applicable if there is no additional category available to EVs.

Is Luxuary Car Tax applicable to Tesla Roadstar ?

Thanks.

When I talked to Simon Hackett he said that his Tesla was subject to all the normal taxes of a motor vehicle even though it was initially brought in to Australia on a temporary basis for "Testing and demonstration" purposes only. I didn't ask him if the higher fuel efficient luxury car tax threshold applied but I would imagine it would.
Still given a US$125,000 Roadster, after import duty 5%, GST 10% and LCT 33% (for amounts above $75,000) I think you will still have little change out of Aus$200,000.:frown:

Those are some nicely done pictures of those RHD roadsters!

Anyone else notice the fogged up headlight housings in this one:
4323481721_f3bf6ab947_b.jpg

Moderator's note: Subsequent discussion on airbags moved here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken Delivery of RHD EU Signature 222 Today

I felt it was appropriate to use this thread to announce with pride having finally taken the plunge to Tesla Roadster ownership today.

I took delivery at the Tesla Store in London of a Signature Edition with VIN 222 of 250.

It's a right hand drive model in Obsidian Black.

More info to follow. Right now it's back at the store for further work before delivery out.